Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #31
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I am also going to do a quick mod that eliminates the need for the vacuum hose on the tank. Since my bike has no fuel pump and is gravity fed, I am cutting a bigger hole in the rubber diaphram thingy in the petcock, and then plugging the vacuum hose outlet. Then I will go get some fresh premium tomorrow morning. What would you recommend 91 or 93? Does it matter???
DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE. Fix the problem first, you dont want to be chasing problems created by fixes that you create after the fact. Drain the gas, add fresh gas and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Then on to derf's carb school.... with... Sobe bottles?
Yes, arizona iced tea bottles work just as well. Because they are glass and dont distort or expand under vaccum or pressure.

Its real simple, on the bottom of each carb is a vaccum fitting.

Stuff needed:

1. two solid glass bottles with a wide mouth top (sobe or arizona iced tea bottles work great

2. two Rubber stops (found in the nuts and bolt isle of home depot or lowes) that fit in the bottle opening

3. a few feet of hose.

4. old oil/trans fluid, basically a fairly thick and heavy liquid

How to build the sync tool:

1. drill 2 holes in each of the rubber stops so that the tubes fits in there very tight, you really need to make sure that it is a good seal between the tube and rubber stops

2. Fill the bottles with oil 1/3 way in each bottle

3. One tube needs to connect the two bottles, this tube needs to be long enough that it reaches and sits on the bottom of each bottle, it also needs to be equal length

4. Put another tube in the rubber stop, and it needs to sit just bellow the bottom of the rubber stop. These two tubes must also be equal length, and long enough to reach the carbs from wherever you are working from, the shorter the better.

5. shove the rubber stops in the bottle top

6. Test by sucking fluid from one bottle to the other and visa versa

7. It should look like this:

How to sync your carbs:

1. Connect each of the tubes from the sync tool to the carbs vaccum fitting (probably on the bottom). One should be going to the fuel petcock, the other should be capped.

2. Start the bike
*watch the bottles very carefully to make sure that the oil isnt sucked into one bottle then straight into the carb. This shouldnt be possible since each bottle is only 1/3 full and the tube leading to the carb should have plenty of wiggle room before it touches the oil if both bottles drain into one.
3. Adjust the carbs until the fluid levels out between the two bottles.
*make small adjustments, the last time I sync'd carbs 1/2 turn of the screw would empty the bottle in a few seconds. Start with 1/16 turns and adjust as necessary
4. If the bike remains running with both bottles evenly filled with fluid then you have a pair of sync'd carbs. Also this isn't rocket science, close is good enough.

Edit: This is what it looked like when I did it

Last edited by derf; 05-11-2011 at 10:55 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #32
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Now will this technically work with a 4 carb linked unit like on my bike? Would you do the front carbs together and then the back carbs together?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #33
derf
token jewboy

Yes. Its more of a hastle, and you need 4 bottles linked together. You can use T junctions to connects the tubes together. Its way more complcated and it just takes more time, because you will have to go back and keep re-adjusting the carbs, One pair will be adjusted, then when you just the next one, the first two will fall out of sync, so you will have to go back and adjust from teh begining again. Again, its quite possible, just takes more time.

also with 4 I would put a label on each bottle so you dont forget which one goes to which carb.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #34
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Yes. Its more of a hastle, and you need 4 bottles linked together. You can use T junctions to connects the tubes together. Its way more complcated and it just takes more time, because you will have to go back and keep re-adjusting the carbs, One pair will be adjusted, then when you just the next one, the first two will fall out of sync, so you will have to go back and adjust from teh begining again. Again, its quite possible, just takes more time.

also with 4 I would put a label on each bottle so you dont forget which one goes to which carb.

Sounds like a PITA. But if it will save me $200....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #35
derf
token jewboy

You might be able to get away with doing each paper of 2 carbs separately, then sync the 2 sets, I really don't know how your bike works. On my cbr I did it and it took just about 30 minutes. I just set up a very strong fan to blow on the radiator, powered the bike to 3000 rpm, and double checked at idle and every 1000 rpm up to 10k. It only takes a second to look at it, just twist the throttle until it holds rpm, look at the bottles, no movement god, next rpm set.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #36
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Anything else to report on your progress?
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #37
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Anything else to report on your progress?
Well, there hasn't been a report on CNN of a massive gasoline explosion in his area so it can't be bad

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #38
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Well, there hasn't been a report on CNN of a massive gasoline explosion in his area so it can't be bad
I guess it's all how you look at it
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #39
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Hey 73, some progress... but not a ton. I've had to work through the weekend.

I already yanked the carbs. They were stuck on the boots like crazy until I sprayed some wd-40 on the boots, and then they popped off with no problem. Now the real bitch was getting the throttle cables off. Not ever doing this before I didnt know what the hell I was doing. The shorter throttle cable came off kinda easy, but the longer one that wraps around the wheel was a bitch. It took me awhile to realize I was feeding the slack left... when I should be feeding it right. Doh.... I'm learning. Then I spilled gas all over myself.

While I had a couple minutes I took both mirrors off, and am going to bend them out a bit. They aren't set wide enough to see around my larger frame, so I have to move to see behind me. Then I took off my clutch lever which is bent a tad from when the bike fell up against my shed wall. I'm going to heat it up and bend it back. Then I was in the process of replacing my bent shift linkage when I noticed our house's water heater had leaked a lake all over the basement floor. Great...

Tomorrow after work I'm taking the wheels off, because my fresh BT-45s just came in. While the bike is ooc I might as well take the wheels into the Pony and have them put on.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #40
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Ah the joys of motorcycle maintenance
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote