Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They show presence of THC in the system, but not impairment. The stuff hangs around in your bloodstream long after impairment is over. It's usually the metabolites that are being checked for. The issue from where I stand isn't just about not being able to convict, it's also about inappropriately charging.
They show if you have used in the last 8 hours. Pot isn't like beer. One joint, and your impaired. Just not impaired enough, cant fly on one wing.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
They show if you have used in the last 8 hours. Pot isn't like beer. One joint, and your impaired. Just not impaired enough, cant fly on one wing.
And 8 hours later you aren't impaired, unless you've been smoking for 8 hours. Like I said, the test doesn't show impairment.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
And 8 hours later you aren't impaired, unless you've been smoking for 8 hours. Like I said, the test doesn't show impairment.
What's wrong with having a test that lets you off the hook if you're not doing something wrong?

Marijuana, (or so I'm told...) only lasts for a few hours, no matter how much you smoke. It's not nearly as cumulative as booze.

You can only get so high. Further smoking after the first real buzz, is just maintenance.

JC
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #34
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
What's wrong with having a test that lets you off the hook if you're not doing something wrong?

Marijuana, (or so I'm told...) only lasts for a few hours, no matter how much you smoke. It's not nearly as cumulative as booze.

You can only get so high. Further smoking after the first real buzz, is just maintenance.

JC
Tmall and I have totally disproved this theory.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
It occurs to me, that given our level of technology, a "YOU ARE FUCKING HIGH" detection device, couldn't be that hard to come up with.

Pupil dilation, pulse/breathing rate measurements, some sort of tongue THC swab, etc., can't be that hard to sort out.

Can it?
I don't know about swabs, but the rest of it would require a biometric baseline of the individual being tested. Any number of conditions could cause a false positive.
Of course, the same can be said of the field sobriety dance.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:

JC
The point is that THC hangs around in your system for quite a while, or at least the metabolites tested for do, which means the test could only prove you were doing something wrong when you weren't, or clear you if you didn't use at all. You could be straight as a die for hours, but still come up positive.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #37
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Well, I don't think keeping anything illegal or making everything legal is going to change that... With this example, he could have been 100% correct and those folks could have all been baked out of their minds...
I'm not arguing against legalization and I don't think this would strengthen that argument anyway. I only intended to point out an issue nobody mentioned. Honestly I could give a fuck if police aren't able to prove impairment. In my view the inability for someone to prove they are sober is a much bigger problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Immediately upon going to the station they should have been tested...... or if they were intelligent they should have demanded one. I mean how long honestly, would someone have been held? The breathalyzer needs to be done right away to be useful.
They were, they weren't charged. They still got pulled over, arrested, cuffed, put in the back of a cop car, and sent to jail. It is still hours spent in a particularly unpleasant situation. Not getting charged is great if you were doing something wrong. Having to get to the point of not being charged sucks ass if you were doing nothing wrong.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #38
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
The point is that THC hangs around in your system for quite a while, or at least the metabolites tested for do, which means the test could only prove you were doing something wrong when you weren't, or clear you if you didn't use at all. You could be straight as a die for hours, but still come up positive.
I understand all of that.

If Apoc's 8 hour swab is trustworthy, the scenario Homeslice and goof are discussing, would be a non issue. Test OK for the last 8 hours, and you're on your way. If not, you're busted.

My point was that every substance has a physiological tell of some kind. We might not know what it is yet, or how to measure it accurately, but that's no good reason to keep MJ classified as a Schedule 1 narcotic.

JC
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #39
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Happy times my friends.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #40
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

while TX

wants to start drug testing for welfare receivers

and stop using welfare for cigs alky and lottery tickets

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/new...a4bcf6878.html
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote