Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Charcoal grills taste good, but they put cancerous hydrocarbons on your food
Who cares? It's delicious.

edit: So I just read a little bit about it. PAHs form when fat from the meat falls to the burning embers and then burns. The longer the meat cooks, the more at risk you are. Of course, these threats are pretty much eliminated if you A: don't cook directly over the charcoal (like you are supposed to do anyway) and B: if you don't eat your meat "well done" (which you shouldn't, because it sucks that way.)

Last edited by Switch; 03-21-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
AquaPython
put it THIS way

since you guys are sort of talking about cancers and cooking, i thought i would add my 2 cents. regardless of the heating method, when meats get charred (blackened) , there are free-radicals that are carcinogens, so you should avoid these charred parts. if you use a marinade, it is supposed to reduce free-radicals by ~ 90%+
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
shmike
Follower

I need a new grill.

What this infared nonsense?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I need a new grill.

What this infared nonsense?
Rather than cooking over a direct flame, a flame heats a ceramic plate which emits heat to cook. It is supposed to heat up faster, get hotter, reduce hot spots, and reduce flame ups. They work well but for the money I would get another Weber.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud View Post
Who cares? It's delicious.

edit: So I just read a little bit about it. PAHs form when fat from the meat falls to the burning embers and then burns. The longer the meat cooks, the more at risk you are. Of course, these threats are pretty much eliminated if you A: don't cook directly over the charcoal (like you are supposed to do anyway) and B: if you don't eat your meat "well done" (which you shouldn't, because it sucks that way.)
Everytime I'm over at someone's place or at some kind of picnic, 80-90% of the time they're cooking it right over the charcoal.

And for those dudes that are REALLY old-skool, who don't have gas grills, and use old-skool charcoal and lighter fluid, the cancer risk is much worse due to the chemicals in the lighter fluid. I remember when I was a kid, people used to squirt fluid on the coals even when there was food on the grill......to give their food an extra "flame burst taste"

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-22-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Everytime I'm over at someone's place or at some kind of picnic, 80-90% of the time they're cooking it right over the charcoal.

And for those dudes that are REALLY old-skool, who don't have gas grills, and use old-skool charcoal and lighter fluid, the cancer risk is much worse due to the chemicals in the lighter fluid. I remember when I was a kid, people used to squirt fluid on the coals even when there was food on the grill......to give their food an extra "flame burst taste"
I remember as a kid, I had a buddy whose dad would do this.

I just buy regular charcoal and use a chimney to get it started. Good stuff, just need newspaper.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

One of my buddies has one of the 4 or 5 burner Charbroil infrared grills. The burners themselves still work nicely but it wasn't designed particularly well. It transfers way too much heat to the front panel where the controls are. It got hot enough to melt the inside of the plastic control knobs to the point they no longer actually turn the controls. He uses a pair of pliers to turn the burners on and adjust the flame.

I do like the Big Green Egg but think it is a bit too expensive and not very convenient. After my experiences with Weber grills those are probably the only brand I will buy.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
One of my buddies has one of the 4 or 5 burner Charbroil infrared grills. The burners themselves still work nicely but it wasn't designed particularly well. It transfers way too much heat to the front panel where the controls are. It got hot enough to melt the inside of the plastic control knobs to the point they no longer actually turn the controls. He uses a pair of pliers to turn the burners on and adjust the flame.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

This just in: Being alive causes cancer. RUN.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

that sounds like an interesting grilling concept. I have my old 15 year old propane grill and an old charcoal grill for when I want a really good tasting steak.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote