Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #31
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
neither have i, i'm 42 and been workin since i was employed (at chic-fil-a) at 14.....drove to work illegally.......lol
I hear you man and hate that it is happening to you.

I know I would HATE to have to look for a job these days. I don't even have a resume because I haven't had to look for a job in such a long time. Well I have changed positions through the years but within the same corporation.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #32
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

sorry to hear that guys

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #33
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Sorry Ed and Dan I hope you guys find something really soon. That really sucks that FL pays so little.

No I would not take a job that pays the same or less than my benefits. Add in gas costs, I'm losing money. I rather take that time and go learn something that will be useful to my future employment opportunities. Drawing unemployment benefits now has allowed me the opportunity to go pursue a nursing degree. I have always wanted to go back to school but was never able to while working crazy hours with shift changes every few months.

Now if my benefits run out, then I wouldn't mind taking a low paying job if there was nothing else.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #34
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

You know, those of you who say you will not take this "handout" must not have been unemployed in the last year or so. I applied for a million and one crappy and not so crappy jobs both times I got laid off last year and then this year. Getting hired to do a crappy job isn't actually as easy as you think. The employers don't want someone they know isn't going to stick around when something better comes along. I sent out about 250 resumes from Oct of last year to April of this year, and got 3 calls-back. I'm "over-qualified" for crap jobs. As are most people over the age of like 21.

And if you haven't looked for a job lately you don't know how cumbersome the process is, and how time consuming. I was registered on every single job board I could find. Many employers who advertise on job boards won't accept the resume format of the job board, you have to go to their site, fill their crap out, and of course you SHOULD always write a custom cover letter.

Its not a handout when it is paid into for the purpose of helping those out, temporarily, whom through no fault of their own lose their job.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #35
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I don't know what it is up here. I know you can receive Unemployment benefits for a year. It's not much but it's not as low as Florida either. Somewhere in the region of $400/week.
About the same in MD- I think the max is $410/week and you get a year (before extensions). And you MUST have two job search contacts a week, and MUST be available in case the MD career thing schedules an interview or training. And IF you DON'T accept an interview or offer, you get denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I hear you man and hate that it is happening to you.

I know I would HATE to have to look for a job these days. I don't even have a resume because I haven't had to look for a job in such a long time. Well I have changed positions through the years but within the same corporation.
I just created a new resume monday... Fucking office politics. I don't play 'em, and apparently I don't "know or blow the right people."

Although, I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of companies in my area hiring for decent jobs. I've been researching and writing cover letters about 12 hours a day. Already stopped by one place that may have potential.

As to "would I rather work"- yeah, hell I might enjoy a crappy physical job better than what I was doing. I think the best way to "show" that company would be to find something else (even something worse), and move on. Of course, I have family to fall back on, so my position may be different.

Last edited by Phenix_Rider; 11-19-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Phenix_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #36
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

$413/week here
Old 11-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #37
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

I say stay off, collect unemployment and consider it a parental leave. I've never collected it either, until now post baby. My mat. leave benefits stop in one pay check and I'll get 447 every week. That amount will cover my bills and I've saved fun money for the next 8 months. If Z can float the boat, stay home, raise your little ones and look for a decent job.

You've paid into it. I know I have paid way more than I'll ever receive...
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #38
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
neither have i, i'm 42 and been workin since i was employed (at chic-fil-a) at 14.....drove to work illegally.......lol
Probably in a '68 Camero with a blower and NOS ya fuckin' hypocrite!
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #39
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I was on unemployment this passed summer. I was working part time while I was finishing school, using my grants to pay most of my bills and looking for a full-time job for when I got out of school. By graduation I still didnt have a full-time job, the financial aid was all gone, and a month after graduation the company I worked for went out of business. We all knew it was going to happen. I had never been on unemployment before but I decided that it would be good to do it so that I could pay some bills and concentrate on finding a full-time job using my degree rather than wasting time trying to get something temporary.

Luckily the Navy hired me and I was able to get off unemployment. I had only been working part time so I got about $130/week from unemployment.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #40
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Dam. Thats more than what I make a week after taxes.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote