Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #31
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Sweet, now I am only one bike ahead of ya, and may be tied by weeks end

I think my days of purchases like that are now over
You have 5 bikes? What do you have again???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Nuff said!

What do the motocycle cops use up there?
Goldwings and Gixxer 600s
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #32
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
You have 5 bikes? What do you have again???

Goldwings and Gixxer 600s
2 gsxr 750's9trying to sell one of them)
aprilia futura
suzuki tl1000S
buell 1125r
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #33
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
2 gsxr 750's9trying to sell one of them)
aprilia futura
suzuki tl1000S
buell 1125r
now how many are in pieces?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #34
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post

HEY!!!

I resemble that remark. LOL
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #35
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
HEY!!!

I resemble that remark. LOL
you too

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #36
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post

just one
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #37
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I'm in Oklahoma City.

As for a long distance tourer, there are many options obviously. I had narrowed my list down to the RT based on a few things a while back before this deal ever came up.

FJR: Good looking bike. 6.6 gal fuel tank. 490 watt alternator output. The FJR was in the running, as it had the important things I wanted. Looks, lots of fuel, and a high output alternator. Only negative with the FJR was alot of complaints about heat.

Concours: 5.8 gal fuel tank. Don't remember the alternator output, but I remember it not being anything super impressive. Love the Concours too, and it would have been in the running, but I wasn't going to upgrade from the Busa for only .3 extra gallons of fuel capacity.

ST1300: 6.6 gal fuel tank. 700 watt alternator output I think it was. Great bike on paper, but it just didn't do anything for me in the looks department. I'm just not a Honda guy.

R1150RT: 6.6 gal fuel tank. 700 watt alternator output. Great looking motorcycle in my opinion. Adjustable seat height also. I think one of the others above had that too, but don't remember which without going back and researching again.

The other benefit for the BMW is this. How many do you see with 300,000 miles, 400,000 miles, or more? Many of them. This tells me they're doing something right. I want a bike that I can put serious miles on and it will keep going with regular maintenance.

Just my .02 cents worth. Maybe this will help you with your decision. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I've looked at all of these bikes in depth at one time or another.
Nice writeup...thanks.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #38
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
to echo Tracy

When I bought that RT it was the very first bike I set out to buy specifically purchase.

I did NOT get a killer deal on it….as a matter of fact it was used and was only $2000 under what I could have gotten many new “leftover” models for. But yet I wanted THAT particular bike.
I wanted a specific color as well. So I flew to south florida and rode it back to upper NC like Tracy did. And had a shit-eatin grin on my face all the way back.
I too did loads of research on sport touring bikes prior to my choice. But the kicker was watching “The Italian Job” and seeing those bagless RT’s bein flogged like motards. I thought “yeah yeah, more Hollywood CGI” until I went to the BMW shop and rode a few.
I was SHOCKED! Granted it’s not got the absolute arm ripping torque that the Concours 14 has, but after 300 miles on the concours, your buddy will be asking to ride the RT for the NEXT gas hop I guarantee!
If you can have a sportbike AND a touring bike, there is no question an RT is something to consider. ESPECIALLY one that’s a STUPID deal that you would be kicking yourself in the ass for years if you DIDN’T take
Troy...what heating stuff is on the RT? When it comes to being cold I'm a pussy. It has to be 80F or higher or I'm cold. Shit...it gets 50F here and I'm freezing riding home with full gear and a neck scarf. IMO, the BMWs look the coolest.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #39
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Troy...what heating stuff is on the RT? When it comes to being cold I'm a pussy. It has to be 80F or higher or I'm cold. Shit...it gets 50F here and I'm freezing riding home with full gear and a neck scarf. IMO, the BMWs look the coolest.
Grips, and you can GET the heated seats on the 05-newer from BMW OR you can get them from Corbin on the 04-olders as well.

The thing about the 04-older RT's is the area you tuck you legs in is completely out of the airstream, and the mirrors block the wind off your hands. Get an oversized windscreen and you're in a cacoon!

Plus with the heat rising up off the air cooled motor, if you angle the windscreen just right, you can get all of that heat as well.

With heated socks, I rode in 26 degree weather for 3 hours last year and was SWEATING when I stopped.