Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #31
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Explain to me where the government makes money on this? You, the driver, pay for a smog check until you pass. The payment goes to the business doing the smog check, not the gov't. A cop can't give you a smog ticket because he can't check the emissions levels.

The article was quite clear: motorcycles are used for 1% of the total mileage but emit 10% of the total pollution. It's obvious something needs to be done to make them cleaner.
And, because it's written on the internet it must be true.

I find that number a little bit difficult to believe. REALLY difficult to believe. A cop can, RIGHT NOW, give you a ticket for an aftermarket exaust on your motorcycle that has the words *for race use only* on it, which are the majority. You did know that, right??

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #32
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

They don't check bikes after they are sold. New bikes still have to meet an air quality standard - why do you think they are putting CCs on them now? - but the quality standard is much lower than cars.

This article is about checking them regularly after they are sold so people don't remove the CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
can you explain how they know that %? they already said they don't check them so how do they know?
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #33
pdog
Refugee

The 10x number is a number I've heard numerous times. That doesn't make it true but when I start my bike up, it stinks. When I start my car up, it does not. Both are 2005 MY. There's a nose test for you.

He's not writing you a ticket for failing a smog test. Your scenario has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I find that number a little bit difficult to believe. REALLY difficult to believe. A cop can, RIGHT NOW, give you a ticket for an aftermarket exaust on your motorcycle that has the words *for race use only* on it, which are the majority. You did know that, right??
Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #34
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
They don't check bikes after they are sold. New bikes still have to meet an air quality standard - why do you think they are putting CCs on them now? - but the quality standard is much lower than cars.

This article is about checking them regularly after they are sold so people don't remove the CC.
so, you're saying that they let MC's get away with 10% more emissions than they do cars.

wasn't the way I read the article but ok.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #35
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
The 10x number is a number I've heard numerous times. That doesn't make it true but when I start my bike up, it stinks. When I start my car up, it does not. Both are 2005 MY. There's a nose test for you.

He's not writing you a ticket for failing a smog test. Your scenario has nothing to do with what we are discussing.
have you looked at the plugs on the DRZ? your mixture could be off. are you comparing carbed to FI?
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #36
pdog
Refugee

Not 10%, 10 times as much. And a 60s era Vespa puts out about 100x what a modern car does. Next time you see a hipster on an old Vespa, tell him he's being a dick to Mother Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
so, you're saying that they let MC's get away with 10% more emissions than they do cars.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #37
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Boy, this thread took right off, di'n't it?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #38
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Wait, you said 10% of the total pollution.

[goes back to look]

Yes, that is what you said...

Your bike smells to you because you're sitting on top of the exhaust. Your car's exhaust doesn't pump into the cabin. So, of COURSE you don't smell it. Not a very scientific response, Mike.

This was a point of interest in my Environmental Science class today. My professor owns a consulting firm and is an expert when it comes to this topic. The numbers here seem off to him

Now that we've all gone around and around - what exactly is the point of all this? Trying to point out there SHOULD be catalytic converters on motorcycles and they should be left on? Testing? Who's money are we spending now?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Next time you see a hipster on an old Vespa, tell him he's being a dick to Mother Earth.
That I can do.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #40
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Wait, you said 10% of the total pollution.

[goes back to look]

Yes, that is what you said...

Your bike smells to you because you're sitting on top of the exhaust. Your car's exhaust doesn't pump into the cabin. So, of COURSE you don't smell it. Not a very scientific response, Mike.

This was a point of interest in my Environmental Science class today. My professor owns a consulting firm and is an expert when it comes to this topic. The numbers here seem off to him

Now that we've all gone around and around - what exactly is the point of all this? Trying to point out there SHOULD be catalytic converters on motorcycles and they should be left on? Testing? Who's money are we spending now?

Yeah Moira, those numbers are way off and the only way it could be true is if they only tested 2 strokes. But that's how how environmentalists work. It was the same thing with Freon, claimed it zoomed right up to the upper atmosphere and attacked the ozone layer (but somehow only over Australia ) and they totally overlooked the fact that Freon is heavier than air and when released into air...sinks to the lowest possible level... chemistry 101. All the greenhouse gas bs is the same, rediculously insuficient fact to support a theory to make themselfs feel better about feeling guilty for using resources. Funny that the oil was supposed to run out back in the early 80's too when we used up the dinosaurs.

I saw a bumper sticker on a car once..."save the planet, ride a horse" oxymoron or just moron

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote