Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #301
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
I can agree with that somewhat. But I think there is more to it than that. Look at the appearal line.

I agree that fanboy is not a good image. But I would reserve that for the HD appereal wearing peeps that don't own one. I go to these free bbqs at my HD dealer. I hate having to stand there behind some fat POS cracker trash that doesn't own a HD and never will. I told the dealership that if you own a HD you should get better privilages.

Well i will tell you something <knock on wood>. I am on my way to 7k on my ultra and have only had one problem with the throttle sensor. But it never left me stranded. Just threw a check engine code and put it into restricted throttle. And I don't think they are anything like what you expierenced.

I can tell you first hand... there is a big difference between 2002 and hell even 2005 and the newer bikes. They have made huge changes. My 2009 FLH is a great example.

And you touched on a few facts to pricing for sure.
Shit son, I'm talking about the 80s and 90s here!!! I know that the quality is leaps and bounds better at HD now!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #302
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Shit son, I'm talking about the 80s and 90s here!!! I know that the quality is leaps and bounds better at HD now!
i should get one and leave it under a tarp in the backyard for 18 years. wonder how much harder it would be to get running again than my 450
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #303
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Before I actually worked a sales floor at an HD dealer, I had a pretty negative outlook on Harleys. They were unreliable. They leaked oil. You had to carry a tool box with you just to keep them running. The usual.

The latest offerings by HD are VERY high quality good running bikes. I was surprised how well put together and dependable they are.

They are on par with anything out there as far as quality.

I can even justify the price to a degree. There is NOTHING that is plastic on any Harley. Everything is either painted metal or cast. They weigh 900+ pounds for a reason.

If you are paying by the pound, the price is in line with their metric competitors.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #304
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yeah damn... in the 80s there may have even been a AMF HD in the mix!! YIKES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
Before I actually worked a sales floor at an HD dealer, I had a pretty negative outlook on Harleys. They were unreliable. They leaked oil. You had to carry a tool box with you just to keep them running. The usual.

The latest offerings by HD are VERY high quality good running bikes. I was surprised how well put together and dependable they are.

They are on par with anything out there as far as quality.

I can even justify the price to a degree. There is NOTHING that is plastic on any Harley. Everything is either painted metal or cast. They weigh 900+ pounds for a reason.

If you are paying by the pound, the price is in line with their metric competitors.
That is funny. But not 100% true... my side covers under the seat (commonly known as the oil bag area) are plastic. Well I think plastic. Along with the fairings, and saddlebags. LOL!

But I have been saying it for the past several years. The new HDs are great machines, very metric turn key.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #305
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I'm going to look at Buells this weekend if any are left. My friend that totalled his R6 has yet to replace it...he's tight with $$ so these deals sound sweet to him.

He has considered a Buell before and is now glad he didn't jump on one in the last few months.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #306
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...e-ar80525.html
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #307
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
That is funny. But not 100% true... my side covers under the seat (commonly known as the oil bag area) are plastic. Well I think plastic. Along with the fairings, and saddlebags. LOL!

But I have been saying it for the past several years. The new HDs are great machines, very metric turn key.
Yeah, I forgot about the "oil bag" covers. The oil bag inside, though, is metal.

Yeah, and the fairings and saddle bags aren't metal obviously. The rest, though, is.

--Erik Buell

Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #308
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post

That story has been going around. Nothing further has been reported.

There is a concerted effort going on to track down the suppliers of every component of what makes up a Buell, though. Part of the challenge, if HD is unwilling to help, is going to be in replicating the parts. It's much cheaper to get it going if the original supplier with the original specs is able just to gin out more parts. It's much harder to reverse engineer the parts and have them produced by a new supplyer.

--Erik Buell

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #309
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

I spoke to my dealer today. $5500

$100 off if I refer you

I get $100 in store credit

Plus you get $500 store credit

Only $400 in sales tax.

Also they specialize in shipping bikes. they will ship it to your dealer in the original crate and it will be shipped by hd trucks so no worries.

http://www.bikerbobshd.com/

If you call in (Taylor store). Speak to Chrissy and tell her Chris sent ya. She told me they only have 3 1125's left. And like on Uly (different price)

Their funny youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/BikerBobsHD

how they ship the bikes
http://www.youtube.com/user/BikerBob...20/CGlYveRkXZE

Anyway, let me know if I can help in any way PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I will be out of town next week, but other than that I will do what I can.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #310
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

The last Buell rolling off assembly line
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews.../641475?ref=25

Run Amsoil Product