Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
its a bit on the large side for a snake that size but I think it may be possible to swallow the kid, burms and retics have larger heads for their body size compared to boas and other pythons because they will eat some ridiculously huge meals, they are also known for biting off more than they chew so to speak in that they will kill something they may not be able to swallow or do swallow it and it comes back up a day or so later. Snakes as a whole are primarily ambush hunters and usualy will wait for food to come by, but will go out hunting as well. They are also notorious escape artists to boot so its important ot have a secure enclosure and one strong enough to house them.

Tom
Oh for sure I agree, I just always noticed that my snake was perfectly happy to sit in the exact same spot INDEFINITELY until it was hungry. In fact, I've heard other snake owners advise new snake owners to keep their snakes on the hungry side so they'll be more active. It's my opinion that the snake purposely hunted the little girl down. I obviously don't believe that the animal was bored and broke out of it's cage to go exploring and just happened to come upon the little girl.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #22
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh for sure I agree, I just always noticed that my snake was perfectly happy to sit in the exact same spot INDEFINITELY until it was hungry. In fact, I've heard other snake owners advise new snake owners to keep their snakes on the hungry side so they'll be more active. It's my opinion that the snake purposely hunted the little girl down. I obviously don't believe that the animal was bored and broke out of it's cage to go exploring and just happened to come upon the little girl.
Why wait until she is 2? I assume the snake is much older than 2 and the owners had the snake before the girl was born. Maybe it had to wait this long to gain the size and strength to break out of the enclosure. Like Tommy said, maybe the snake saw a moment of opportunity and it wasn't planned when it escaped the enclosure. We'll never know why but I assure you many snake owners with young kids will be letting their legless friends loose in the woods.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Hell.

It's where you're going as soon as I get done building this hand-basket.

What are you, about 5'9"?

JC
I am in the morning...
By nightfall, probably a smidge less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I am in the morning...
By nightfall, probably a smidge less
You know, they make special shoes for that problem.

JC
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #25
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I had 2 kings in 2 different cages. The cages were the same in every way except the the snake in the cage. One would excape all the time no matter what I did, I had large metal clips and would set 20 pound weights on the top and this little snake would still get out. By little I mean pencil width and less than 2 feet long.

The snake that never got out was about a inch wide and about 5 foot long, much larger. When I got them they were both the same size the pet store gave me the excape artist free cause they kept losing it.

Some snake just like to explore other will just hang out on a warm spot.

A snake large enough to hurt some one should atleast be kept in a locked (snake proof) room when the owner is not around. At least then if they get out they can not leave the room.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Why wait until she is 2? I assume the snake is much older than 2 and the owners had the snake before the girl was born. Maybe it had to wait this long to gain the size and strength to break out of the enclosure. Like Tommy said, maybe the snake saw a moment of opportunity and it wasn't planned when it escaped the enclosure. We'll never know why but I assure you many snake owners with young kids will be letting their legless friends loose in the woods.
Oh I don't think the snake "planned" it at all. Personally, I think these people "forgot" to feed it or were purposely under-feeding it. Maybe, they left the cage open or forgot to secure it. Hell, I've known people who had aquariums with a window screen sitting on top as "security". The python gets out and picks up the scent, hell for all we know, it visited every room in the house and decided that the other "prey" was too large before it got to the little girl.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You would be surprised how fast they can grow. burms and retics are 24-36 inches at birth, and with good feeding can hit 10 feet long in their first year.Burms may not be quite as fast but still get up there quickly.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
I had 2 kings in 2 different cages. The cages were the same in every way except the the snake in the cage. One would excape all the time no matter what I did, I had large metal clips and would set 20 pound weights on the top and this little snake would still get out. By little I mean pencil width and less than 2 feet long.

The snake that never got out was about a inch wide and about 5 foot long, much larger. When I got them they were both the same size the pet store gave me the excape artist free cause they kept losing it.

Some snake just like to explore other will just hang out on a warm spot.

A snake large enough to hurt some one should atleast be kept in a locked (snake proof) room when the owner is not around. At least then if they get out they can not leave the room.
1,000,000% agree! They probably had it in the living room or something. I'm sorry Tommy but this story is exactly the same as the stories of people who keep tigers, leopards, etc and get mauled by them. I have a hard time feeling sorry for them... Quite frankly, if it weren't a little girl, I'd have zero sympathy.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #29
Rider
Moto GP Star

This thread reminds me of the episode of Venom ER I was watching a while back. A motherfucker in FL got bit by his "pet" Black Mamba and lived. Why the hell would anyone keep one of these things in your house?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Why the hell would anyone keep one of these things in your house?
so they could end up on TV.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 07-01-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote