Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The daughter would fall under the mother's policy *IF* she was declared on it. I don't know about coverage of a third-party vehicle down there. Y'all have too many laws, State to State.
Now that is the truth for sure!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The daughter would fall under the mother's policy *IF* she was declared on it. I don't know about coverage of a third-party vehicle down there. Y'all have too many laws, State to State.
Hmmm... I'm not sure. If I lived with a woman with a kid, declared or not, you'd think that the kid would fall under her policy as the parent before it would fall under mine... One thing I'm sure of, BOTH ins co's will try their best to try and get out of this claim if they can!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

My policy only covers licensed drivers that are at least 25 years old that aren't on my policy if I remember correctly.

The age thing sounds weird but I believe that's how it is written.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

many times (not necesarily here) what happens is junior turns 16-17 and gets a license but no car. mom and dad "forget" to tell the insurance company they have gotten a license because they don't want to pay extra premium. that child is uninsured and not covered on any vehicle they drive.

my son costs me $1000 / yr just to ensure if he drives something it's covered. HE is added to my policy and can drive any of my vehicles as well as anyone elses under my insurance.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
many times (not necesarily here) what happens is junior turns 16-17 and gets a license but no car. mom and dad "forget" to tell the insurance company they have gotten a license because they don't want to pay extra premium. that child is uninsured and not covered on any vehicle they drive.

my son costs me $1000 / yr just to ensure if he drives something it's covered. HE is added to my policy and can drive any of my vehicles as well as anyone elses under my insurance.
Some companies will go so far as to make the worst risk into the primary on the policy, then add the lesser risks as occasionals.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #26
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I don't know if this has already been said or not, so sorry if I am repeating someone else's post:

When my husband wrecked a friend's bike(so obviously not on his insurance) I called my insurance company to see what insurance is responsible. I was told that the owner of the vehicle's insurance must be used because the owner allowed my husband to ride, therefore, the owner is liable for what happens.

The owner's insurance company paid for the damages and as far as I know, didn't give them any trouble over it either.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #27
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

In insurance legalese, she's known as a "permissive user" since she had his permission to drive the car. He needs to get the policy out of the drawer and read it, especially the definition of an insured driver and the exclusions. If the insurance company contends there is no coverage, he deserves an explanation, including a cite to the specific policy language, in writing. Also, if she is a covered driver under her mom's policy, or has her own policy, then her or her mom's insurer should provide coverage for the incident.

Disclaimer -- I'm not a lawyer, just a lowly paralegal. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night. :-)
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looni2ns View Post
In insurance legalese, she's known as a "permissive user" since she had his permission to drive the car. He needs to get the policy out of the drawer and read it, especially the definition of an insured driver and the exclusions. If the insurance company contends there is no coverage, he deserves an explanation, including a cite to the specific policy language, in writing. Also, if she is a covered driver under her mom's policy, or has her own policy, then her or her mom's insurer should provide coverage for the incident.

Disclaimer -- I'm not a lawyer, just a lowly paralegal. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night. :-)
Yes but was it an "Holiday Inn Express"? It makes a big difference!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #29
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

AFAIK... they can... but have the girl check with her insurance... I know with my policy... I'm covered for any vehicle I drive. (so I don't have to get extra coverge for rental vehicles...ect.)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #30
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I'm just guessing, but I don't think the deer's car was damaged...

JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Mr. Hand got right.

It depends on if she lives with him.

You can loan your vehicle to another licensed driver and they will be covered on your insurance if they don't have thier own.

Because it is most likely that you'd loan your vehicle to someone at home, other licensed drivers in the house are supposed to be listed with the insurance provider so that they may be added to the policy if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looni2ns View Post

Need more details.

It really depends on the terms of the policy - some cheaper policies don't include coverage for other licensed drivers unless they're specifically listed on the policy.

Policies like that are cheaper because they basically are reducing their liability of having to pay for an accident caused by another licensed driver. A lot depends on the state though (I'm not as familliar with those states' insurance laws). Some states don't allow the exclusion of permissive users (and it's the state where the person resides, not the state where the accident happens that determines this).

They do have to provide citation of the specific language in the policy leading to the failure to cover the damages caused by the accident.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote