Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Just so you know, it's my opinion that gears are complicated. I prefer my Single Speed - even in steep hills to the gears. Well, I'm USED TO my single speed because I can just go - I'm not thinking of shifting - I'm just pedaling. Uphill?? Just pedal harder.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

SS would be a bitch in a triathlon. Though someone at my triathlon was on a beach cruiser style bike. I heard someone say they had two speeds. Hard and Fucking Hard.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #23
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
SS would be a bitch in a triathlon. Though someone at my triathlon was on a beach cruiser style bike. I heard someone say they had two speeds. Hard and Fucking Hard.
It's the best to show up for a weekend ride with a bunch of lycra'd up wanna-bees on their sparkly bikes when I'm on my SS. They usually don't notice until they are whining about how *long* the pedal is, and curious how they are being paced by a chick.

To be clear - a group ride on a bicycle freaks me out more than a group ride on a motorcycle does.

If I were hard core I'd be on a fixie...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
It's the best to show up for a weekend ride with a bunch of lycra'd up wanna-bees on their sparkly bikes when I'm on my SS. They usually don't notice until they are whining about how *long* the pedal is, and curious how they are being paced by a chick.

To be clear - a group ride on a bicycle freaks me out more than a group ride on a motorcycle does.

If I were hard core I'd be on a fixie...
I'd like a 29 rigid SS so bad. But it is funny when I'm on a hard ride dying on my geared bike and then some fucker (usually a fat fucker at that) comes by on a SS and they are so cheery when they ask "How's it going". Fuck you bitch I'm dying! Enjoy my mace fucker!!!

I remember when I rode my 12year old GT Timberline rigid that had only 3 speeds that worked on it and blasting down horrible rutted hills at full speed to blow by some fucker on a nice ass FS. I blew by a group of FS bikes who cussed me out for going too fast down the hill.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

How exactly can you go faster on an SS?
I don't understand how you could be "dying" on a geared bike while a SS blows by you.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-23-2009 at 11:49 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #26
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
How exactly can you go faster on an SS?
I don't understand how you could be "dying" on a geared bike while a SS blows by you.
You go down hills faster knowing you have to peddle faster up the hill. Since you are in a higher gearing you crank up the hill as opposed to putting it in a lower, slower, easier gear.

And how can SS people blow by me on a gearing bike? People who generally ride SS bikes are very hardcore riders who are in far better shape than me or other riders who ride recreationally. IIRC many of the pro cross-country racers run a 3" suspension hardtail steel frame because it's faster overall. I ride a 5-6" suspension hardtail.

I'm fast on the the short term. I can move through very tight trails really really fast. But about 10miles into a ride and I'm dying. I'm not built well for endurance.

I'm sure you can put me on Rossi's bike and Rossi on my 96 CBR600 and Rossi would still blow me away.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #27
Homeslice
Elitist

But isn't the gear ratio on an SS bike somewhere between the lowest and highest gear on a full-geared bike? If so, the full-geared bike would be able to go faster. Just like if you tried to take a Ducati and modify it so that only 3rd gear worked, it would not be able to hit 180 mph anymore.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #28
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
But isn't the gear ratio on an SS bike somewhere between the lowest and highest gear on a full-geared bike? If so, the full-geared bike would be able to go faster. Just like if you tried to take a Ducati and modify it so that only 3rd gear worked, it would not be able to hit 180 mph anymore.
But would you need 180mph at in the tight turns of Deal's Gap?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

I know, but I'm just trying to understand what an SS bike is good for. Right now, the only advantage I can see is that it's cheaper and less failure-prone. But in terms of performance advantages, I don't see any.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #30
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Instead of paying 2k for a lighter bike...pay 300 and then use the extra money to increase your engine size....via squats/leg press/hack.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote