Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post

It's not something to freak out about, but still something to be aware of and a good reminder to STAY HOME if you're sick. Too many people (myself included..) try to tough it out because of the stigma of taking sick days.
the guy sitting 5 feet beside me right now says a minute ago to a customer that he doesn't want to shake hands he's sick but don't worry it's not the Swine flu, just a bad stomache virus...haha WTF! uh hey! ding ding! I think that IS the flu....go home
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Not sure where you're getting your info (or if my news is correct for that matter) but 168 confirmed deaths in Mexico so far.

7 cases here in Ontario although haven't heard any more than the number.

I'm not really worried but def. would take precautions if I were in Kirsty or Z's case....or if I had to travel. We've had a trip to Mexico cancelled at work due to concerns.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Not sure where you're getting your info (or if my news is correct for that matter) but 168 confirmed deaths in Mexico so far.

7 cases here in Ontario although haven't heard any more than the number.

I'm not really worried but def. would take precautions if I were in Kirsty or Z's case....or if I had to travel. We've had a trip to Mexico cancelled at work due to concerns.
Updated today:
29 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 18:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported 148 cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (13), Germany (3), Israel (2), New Zealand (3), Spain (4) and the United Kingdom (5).

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #24
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
but the "flu" kills people every year - and nearest I can tell, only one confirmed death from this one so far...and no mention of age or health of the person.

Apparently it was a Mexican infant who was visiting family in Texas.

I'm so tired of the goddamned media turning everything into a crisis of Biblical proportions. Yes, it's nice to hear something other than Mortgage Meltdown (tm) for a change, but this is just stupid.

Last night our local news was airing a very earnest discussion on how to avoid catching the flu on the subway... Um, there aren't any subways (other than the sandwich-peddling kind) in 300 miles.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #26
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Laura, slow down

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/antiviral_swine.htm

Quote:
There are four influenza antiviral drugs approved for use in the United States (oseltamivir, zanamivir, amantadine and rimantadine). The swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses that have been detected in humans in the United States and Mexico are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine so these drugs will not work against these swine influenza viruses. Laboratory testing on these swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses so far indicate that they are susceptible (sensitive) to oseltamivir and zanamivir.
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

It's a new strain... that's all. They are trying to reinforce following good practices of staying healthy and not infection the rest of the world around you.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I'm so confused by all of this. It's the flu. There's a flu outbreak every year - flu shots, flu panic - why is this one different? mexico just admited that it wasn't 150 dead from swine flu, it's 7. Why is the whole world in an uproar over the flu. I just don't understand. in the US it's 91 cases of "swine flu" and 1 death. That doesn't sound out of line with years past - infants and old people are more suseptible but there is a vaccination for those highest at risk? Am I missing something? Not trying to debate it or anything but as someone who's never had a flu shot or the flu or known anyone who's HAD the flu of any kind....wtf am I missing about this??
Let me preface this by saying I am not in healthcare or medicine at all. This is just what I have picked up from reading, but you have it for the most part. It seems the biggest fear about this flu, and one rarely mentioned and never explained by the media, is that it may not be in line with most flus as far as infants, old people, and the sick being most susceptible. Very occasionally there are disease strains that cause the immune system to freak out, become unregulated, and cause further illness or death of the patient. In these cases a healthy immune system can do more harm than good.

With all flu strains (and really any virus) the #1 thing that snuffs it out is the human immune system. We do have things now available that help it, better treatment, anti-virals, etc. but the human immune system does the heavy lifting. The panic comes from the possibility that a strain will come along where the immune system doesn't work.

The last time that happened on a large scale was in 1918 with the Spanish flu. Being 1918 and all the records kind of suck but it is estimated to have killed somewhere between 20 and 50 million people worldwide. The difference between then and now, as I see it, is in 1918 the richest person in the world could not get treatment similar to what is even basic treatment today in the western world. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you can probably get better treatment from an ambulance than what was available in 1918. When a disease like that does come around again the death toll will be massive, but it will most likely be heavily concentrated in developing countries lacking modern medical facilities.

Like I said, I have no medical training at all. If someone has more accurate information please correct me.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Laura, slow down

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/antiviral_swine.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

It's a new strain... that's all. They are trying to reinforce following good practices of staying healthy and not infection the rest of the world around you.

Yea my God, I count what, 300 cases or so out of billions of people? It's always the same thing every year. These people have to drum up some kind of scare to justify their jobs. I mean what good is the CDC and other related agencies if there aren't any pandemics? Jesus, swine flu, west nile, bird flu, mad cow, asian flu, ebola, etc...yeesh!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #29
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
in the press release in WA the concern was "only 18,000 doses" of the vaccination.
and I've never bought into the whole flu vaccination thing in the first place. I guess that's where I'm missing the point. Anyone I've talked to who's gotten vaccinated in the past not only got the flu still but was MORE ill than those who didn't get vaccinated. Why not get the flu, hang out with a box of tissues, a couple of movies, sleep it off and move on?
I'm obviously still missing something here
There's not enough approved vaccinations to go around - takes time to make these things... So, if this flu becomes wide spread that's a huge issue. Especially if it's affecting healthier populations of people.

And I know a lot of people say they get the "flu" from the flu shot and are more sick if they have received it - from taking care of people with the full blown flu, generally, those people that make those statements don't have the flu. They have a cold - and they run the risk of infecting someone else that can't defend themselves immune wise.

The flu in itself isn't deadly unless you are older, younger or sick that it causes severe respiratory compromise, issues with dehydration/organ failure related to fever etc....

But if younger, seemingly healthier people are dying due to this "mild" flu and they dont have any underlying chronic/acute diseases.... then yeah, people should be a little concerned.

Things will be blown out of proportion, but from a health care stand point and knowing how difficult things will be if people don't take this a bit serious.... It could be bad.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #30
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

But aren't these "younger" victims Mexicans? I would think that diet,sanitary conditions, and local health care could play a part in this as well.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote