Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #21
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

What is that getting you, like 6" off the ground? Doesn't really seem worth the amount of shop space it takes up, but to each his own.

I just use an engine hoist and some 1000-lb ratchet straps for doing wheels and suspension crap... Need to pull the whole front end off the bike? No problem...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

It's going to have legs on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
What is that getting you, like 6" off the ground? Doesn't really seem worth the amount of shop space it takes up, but to each his own.

I just use an engine hoist and some 1000-lb ratchet straps for doing wheels and suspension crap... Need to pull the whole front end off the bike? No problem...

Me too. In fact I just replaced my rear shock yesterday using ratchet straps attached to the stairs of my apt complex.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I didn't know if I would like that lift. doesn't look as stable as the one I want to get (the $500 one). how do you feel about having the bike up and doing a little tugging on it, does the lift feel stable to you?
My setup works great. I can lift the bike 40" in the air and work on the bottom of the bike and not have to crouch over. The front chock works OK but I always have my straps on the canyon dancer tied down like you see in the pics "just in case" because you CAN tug on the bike in that chock and get it to lean. But as far as the LIFT itself....it's very stable at full height.

My buddy Brian has the $700 with the freakin cast iron VICE on the front wheel.....it weighs about 500 pounds and you can lift the bike 4ft in the air, sit on it and lean all the way off the bike shaking and rocking the bike and it nor the stand will budge.

But try moving it around in the shop.

Mine will roll anywhere in the garage I need it too even fully extended
Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
ok, I got down there and was working on the work space to make room for everything I wanted in that area. I added a shelf to my workbench with supports so it won't sag. moved my light over the workbench so it isn't shining into my eyes now. I did get the bike table in place, just have to go get something to hold the surface to the frame.

then a couple riding buddies stopped by to check it out.

Man you are a Kawasaki freak aren't you? Is that a Kawasaki cordless drill I spy?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

This is what we worked on for many years
http://www.pappawheelies.com/motorcyclestand.htm

Then we upgraded to a Handy lift - BEST money spent in the garage.
http://www.pappawheelies.com/picture...misc%20040.jpg

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #27
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post

like Tina said, it's going to have some legs to bring it up some, reason for the two parts instead of just one. I am going to try to have several that I can change out for different heights. I'm unemployed right now and this keeps a bike straight up and even a little off the ground is better than nothing. don't know if you have ever worked on a bike on a lift but it is much better than working on the ground. without legs I am about 10" up. that puts the carbs on this KZ650 right at my waist. figured I'd try top height of 12" then see what I could get away with for another height. don't know, it may not work, it may only end up being used as is till I have the money for a real one. nothing lost either way. I can scrap it if I don't like it and have the money from it.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
My setup works great. I can lift the bike 40" in the air and work on the bottom of the bike and not have to crouch over. The front chock works OK but I always have my straps on the canyon dancer tied down like you see in the pics "just in case" because you CAN tug on the bike in that chock and get it to lean. But as far as the LIFT itself....it's very stable at full height.

My buddy Brian has the $700 with the freakin cast iron VICE on the front wheel.....it weighs about 500 pounds and you can lift the bike 4ft in the air, sit on it and lean all the way off the bike shaking and rocking the bike and it nor the stand will budge.

But try moving it around in the shop.

Mine will roll anywhere in the garage I need it too even fully extended
I'm used to working on one like the first one I posted that I want to get. I did think about one like you have but wasn't sure about the stability of it with a bike on it and moving/jerking around on it like you sometimes have to do.

thanks for letting me know about it. that one is closer to me being able to afford and better than the table I made.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #29
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Man you are a Kawasaki freak aren't you? Is that a Kawasaki cordless drill I spy?
yeah, I bleed green

I got a hell of a deal on that drill. with my discount I think I paid $20 or so for it. I didn't think to order an extra battery when I ordered the drill and paid more for the second battery (off special) than I paid for the drill, battery, flashlight and charger, even with my discount.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
This is what we worked on for many years
http://www.pappawheelies.com/motorcyclestand.htm

Then we upgraded to a Handy lift - BEST money spent in the garage.
http://www.pappawheelies.com/picture...misc%20040.jpg
hell yeah, the drop center is the bomb. they are pretty proud of those Handy Lifts though.