Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I think I have about 25,000 or so miles under my belt on 3 bikes. I've done enough homework that I'm confident that my riding position & technique are solid, at least for the roads we have here. I'd post up some pics/video, but I don't have any.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Quote:
All the input is appreciated, and helpful. While I would certainly love to take some classes and do some track days, it's just not in the budget right now.
I'd like to point out unless you can aford to pay your bills from a hospital bed or have disablity insurance than you can't aford to ride over your head on the streets either.

I have found lately that riding mini super moto bikes on Kart tracks is a very afordable way to learn to ride fast. Once I started riding on the track I slowed way down on the street. Some trackdays are only $15 dollars and tires that are cheaper than big bikes and last most of the season.

One trackday will teach you more about riding than years of tooling around on the street.

I have been to the hospital and funerals of people that thought riding fast on the street was a good idea. I have done it and I'm glad I lived to tell others its a bad idea. I know I sound like your mother but trust me try to get on the track at least once. It will change your live.

I'm not sure where you live, if your near Michigan or Ohio(I ride there alot) your welcome to try out my mini (crf150R) during a trackday it would only cost you $15 or so depending on the track. I have a garage full of bikes and I ride my CRF150R more than any of them on ice, dirt and pavement.

Last edited by HRCNICK11; 02-26-2009 at 07:38 PM..
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Come out and play!
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #24
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I tried like heck to talk my wife into letting me get a DRZ400SM!

You guys do make some great points about keeping conservative on the street. I should just pony up the cash and do a couple track days.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I tried like heck to talk my wife into letting me get a DRZ400SM!
My wife is going to let me get one if I sell the fiddy. I will probably do it. Just got to find a SM I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #26
t-homo
WSB Champion

I am hoping to do a track day at either Heartland Park in Topeka or Hallett in Oklahoma toward the end of summer if you want to look at meeting up.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
My wife is going to let me get one if I sell the fiddy. I will probably do it. Just got to find a SM I want.

If you sell the fiddy let me know and how much ya want...looking for a track toy...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Aprilia.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #29
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
Some tires are different than others... some give you LOTS of warning, some very little... In either case you need to spend lots of time near that limit to be able to listen to them and learn the signs.
Exactly what I was thinking, just probably said in a better way than I would have put it. Although I don't quite agree with spending lots of time learning. If referring to experience, then OK but still I think this is how well a rider knows his/her bike. Yes, this comes from experience but some people pick this up quicker than others. And changing your suspension constantly won't help. Learn how it reacts with minor changes. Give yourself time to adjust to the changes you make to it.

Not only do tires make a difference, but the pressures you are running. Lower pressure will help with grip, but not too low. Too high and you lose some grip.

As far as trusting your tires, it's just something you have to do. Fortunately I have someone I trust and if they trust the tires, then I know I can too. I just have to trust my abilities. I know the bike is far more capable of what I can ever do with it, so the goal is just not to upset it - let it do what it needs to do, that everything will work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I probably just need to learn to relax a little and not be so worried about a crash. I rarely exceed about 80 mph in those big sweepers I was talking about.
Relaxing would help a lot. One thing they teach you in the school/track day are the chicken wings. Flap your elbows like chicken wings to get yourself to relax. Once you relax you expand your capabilities.

And if you can't afford to crash on the road, keep your head level, save your money and do a school/track day to satisfy your desires. A crash on the road will probably be far worse than at the track. Too many variables on the street.

Last edited by racedoll; 02-27-2009 at 05:13 PM..
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

2ct's have insane grip when properly warmed up, i litterally ran on the side wall at nashville.. not cause i am a great rider, but i make the bike work for it harder then it prolly needs too, but trust the tires and they will work

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote