Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I know how much fun a bike like that can be in the twisties, I ride a Supermoto. I'd love to be able to ride ghost towns and shit like that, it sounds like a lot of fun. If you have them start a thread with some pics, I'd love to see them.
i have one picture i took with my cell phone! i think the others ones are with me on the dry lake bed and trying to say hi to the cows, let me see what i can find.

i would love to SM my bike but it might be too much of a hassle to do it on my bike. honda came out with a 230sm but my 696 is on the top of the list first, i would be nice to be able to get out of town by taking a highway eventually!

i a few months i'll prob start tinkering at the sm track (or was it the go kart track, crap i have to listen to my friend when he talks), he's thinking i'll have a blast on a little honda 150. unfortunately being 5'2" doesn't open a lot of doors on the sm front since i can barely touch the ground on my 200 as it is. if at this point i can have only 1 bike, my first choice would be a DS for the versalility of it.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #23
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

I hear ya, I'm lucky, I'm 6'4" I can flat foot anything.

Honestly, don't bother SM'ing your DR, it would be too much money for not enough return, the increased weight of the rims and tires would so it down even more, your buddies 150 (CRF150F I'm assuming?) would run rings around it. If you want a sumo you're better off selling the DR and buying a SuMo bike like a WR250X, CRF230M, KLX250F or even a DRZ400SM. You can lower them pretty easily without sacrificing too much handling.

Yeah, eventually I'll have a duallie in the line-up, probably a big one like an XR650L or a DR650L.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I hear ya, I'm lucky, I'm 6'4" I can flat foot anything.

Honestly, don't bother SM'ing your DR, it would be too much money for not enough return, the increased weight of the rims and tires would so it down even more, your buddies 150 (CRF150F I'm assuming?) would run rings around it. If you want a sumo you're better off selling the DR and buying a SuMo bike like a WR250X, CRF230M, KLX250F or even a DRZ400SM. You can lower them pretty easily without sacrificing too much handling.

Yeah, eventually I'll have a duallie in the line-up, probably a big one like an XR650L or a DR650L.
why not get another set of wheels with knobbies and just swap out when you want to ride dirt?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

I'm assuming you mean for the KTM? A couple reasons.

Dirt riding results in a LOT more spills than track riding, and once I'm done with the KTM I'm going to have a significant chunk of money invested in it and I dont want to beat it up. I'd like a bike I can kind of beat on a little without worrying about it. Plus my plan is to set it up as a adventure dual sport with some soft luggage so I can do some longer distance trips that involve dirt, eventually including a trip to AK. The KTM is not suited to that kind of riding. Plus for the money for KTM parts I can find an old XR and rebuild it.

The main reason? My ADD extends to bikes too and I can't seem to be happy with one, or two, bikes!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #26
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
A guy I used to work with ADHD in a REALLY bad way. And due to having cirohsis (sp?) of the liver at age 26 or so, couldn't take meds for it, thus having to train himself to deal with it drug free. (Before that point he was a raging drug addict/alcoholic, hence the cirohsis.) His way of doing this was to being uber organized. EVERYTHING he needed to remember, he wrote down in a planner, and on a calendar. And for REALLY important things, he set alarms. He kept a constant to-do list as well, and carried a notebook with him and had tabs on pages for reference.

As the spouse of someone with pretty severe ADHD, and seeing how that affects him, my best advice is, baby steps. Maybe start with keeping a notebook so that you can write your ideas down as soon as you have them. When you feel your interest start to wane, go back to that notebook so you remember why you were excited at the start of your job. With your self-discipine regarding eating well and working out, I think you can "train" yourself to apply that discipline elsewhere.

And as an added bonus, Adderall is used to assist in weight loss as well. I read your post about gaining a few pounds!

ETA: Another reason for baby steps is that you'll derive satisfaction from starting and finishing something. Instant gratification, in a good way. So if you give yourself a small-ish task to start with, you'll get a boost from completeing it, and that should help you when you have bigger tasks to tackle.
I've never been diagnosed with ADD, but sometimes reading about things like this makes me wonder.

I *have* to set alarms for meetings/events because I inevitably forget. I *have* to get bills in the mail because if I don't get that reminder (or at least an e-mail reminder).. I'll forget to pay bills. I'm hyperfocused in the things I love (motorcycles.. photography.. books.. puzzles) but I have so many started but unfinished projects or hobbies it's ridiculous (guitar, knitting, art, krav maga, having fashion sense, etc.)

But yeah... keeping a small notebook (and actually remembering to use it..), tabbing, and alarms (on my phone) are HUGE helps for me. I may not technically be ADD, but as many issues as I have staying on track from day to day, I might as well be.

Oh yeah, make habits too. Like, things you do every day the same way so you don't forget to do something. For example.. I wear the Army uniform every day.. I put key items in specific pockets so I don't forget anything before I leave the house, and I know when I'm missing something (like my military ID.. wallet.. chapstick.. notebook.. phone.. each goes in a particular pocket, and it's always the same pocket for each item).

Ok, yeah, I'm kinda rambling, so I'll shut my face here. Good luck with the meds! Even if they're just a starting point so that you can be focused long enough to develop the habits to where you don't need to be on them anymore, it can't hurt to try them. Good luck!!!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #27
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I've never been diagnosed with ADD, but sometimes reading about things like this makes me wonder.

I *have* to set alarms for meetings/events because I inevitably forget. I *have* to get bills in the mail because if I don't get that reminder (or at least an e-mail reminder).. I'll forget to pay bills. I'm hyperfocused in the things I love (motorcycles.. photography.. books.. puzzles) but I have so many started but unfinished projects or hobbies it's ridiculous (guitar, knitting, art, krav maga, having fashion sense, etc.)

But yeah... keeping a small notebook (and actually remembering to use it..), tabbing, and alarms (on my phone) are HUGE helps for me. I may not technically be ADD, but as many issues as I have staying on track from day to day, I might as well be.

Oh yeah, make habits too. Like, things you do every day the same way so you don't forget to do something. For example.. I wear the Army uniform every day.. I put key items in specific pockets so I don't forget anything before I leave the house, and I know when I'm missing something (like my military ID.. wallet.. chapstick.. notebook.. phone.. each goes in a particular pocket, and it's always the same pocket for each item).

Ok, yeah, I'm kinda rambling, so I'll shut my face here. Good luck with the meds! Even if they're just a starting point so that you can be focused long enough to develop the habits to where you don't need to be on them anymore, it can't hurt to try them. Good luck!!!
I have many similar habits, and I sometimes wonder as well. I just push it off to being paranoid and move on. Hell, everyone I know said they think they have add at one point or another.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #28
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Archren made another really good point, always put stuff in the same place so you KNOW where it is. Or at least have a better chance of knowing where it is. My husband is big on putting stuff "away" because he's OCD about things being left out. BUT, the OCD doesn't carry over to it being put away somewhere that makes sense. So then neither of us can find it and I want to smack him.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #29
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post

Color me in this class too!! Big time habit/routine person - if my morning routine is out of whack, I forget things like you wouldn't believe.

I finally gave up on bills and set up online bill pay. Saved my life.

Gina... thinking happy thoughts for you!!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #30
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
Archren made another really good point, always put stuff in the same place so you KNOW where it is. Or at least have a better chance of knowing where it is. My husband is big on putting stuff "away" because he's OCD about things being left out. BUT, the OCD doesn't carry over to it being put away somewhere that makes sense. So then neither of us can find it and I want to smack him.
i tried doing that too but i can't! i got catch all bins for my keys and such but i never use them, then i try putting them in a certain pocket in my purse and i keep forgetting. so everyday i look for my keys, wallet and cell phone and when i find one, i lose the other, a few times before i get out the door!