Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

My laptop gets on my neigbors network sometimes randomly, and the connection sucks because they are too far away.

Now I do steal wifi on a regular basis, mostly when I travel and I need something, I just pull into a hotel parking lot and ask the front desk if they have wifi, or park outside a mcdonalds or something along those lines.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
My laptop gets on my neigbors network sometimes randomly, and the connection sucks because they are too far away.

Now I do steal wifi on a regular basis, mostly when I travel and I need something, I just pull into a hotel parking lot and ask the front desk if they have wifi, or park outside a mcdonalds or something along those lines.
I was driving one day looking for a business. I must have wrote the number down wrong. I happened to have my laptop on me so I turned it on and at every light I would look over and hit refresh. Found a connection by a gas station so I pulled in to the parking lot, looked up the address and was on my way. I think it was a business that had it open because I don't think I would have found a signal from the houses, they were not close enough. I was happy they had it open.

James
Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
with no password, do you say "hell with paying for internet" and just use the free connection?

Oh, and if I'm using said connection, can my neighbor figure out what sites I'm viewing and what I'm typing, etc.?
Others have said it, but I will too. It's 'theft of service' and 'computer trespass.'

If you were on my network not only could I tell what sites you were surfing, I could also likely walk right into your computer and have anything that I wanted from you. After all, you'd be inside my network.

Muhuhahahahahaha!

No, I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Why not tap off of their cable TV or water line too?
I work for a Sub of AT&T. I normally work with the ariel trucks but often I work with dig crews. We see people steal some crazy stuff as we dig for phone cable.

Cable is the most stolen. But we've seen people steal gas, electric, water, etc.

One guy tapped into a 6" gas main and fed it to his house. No fucking clue how he did it. When you bust a 6" main that shit flys out like crazy. But I've seen them tap into water mains too. One guy rigged up a system that allowed water to flow around the meter. But he put in a much smaller tubing to his water meter so that he had some water flowing through but not his normal. Guy was operating a 6bedroom house for probably the cost of a trailer.

Saw another guy steal water from his neighbors irrigation system.

People go to amazing lengths to steal shit.

As for stealing internet. Man up, and get your own stinkin internet. Then secure the bitch and enjoy watching pron at lightspeeds.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Wow, I guess I should have been more clear in the post you quoted. The house I'm working on is MY house. I bought the house, so yes, I have a right to the wiring.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but if it's your house it's your wiring, so who would have possibly had a problem with you taking your own wiring?

Quote:
And as for the internet, rather than the door being unlocked, it's more like the door is unlocked and they have a sign out that says, "my stuff is free for you to use, just as long as I still have complete access to it also."

Is it really petty theft in your eyes? They're broadcasting a connection. It's like McDonald's, or some coffee shop wifi. It's just out there, being broadcast for everyone within a certain radius.
Not unless they actually have a sign out saying "my internet connection is free for you to use." Even over wifi you only have so much bandwidth per connection, so if you're using your neighbor's bandwidth that's bandwidth that your neighbor is paying for that he cannot use. The fact that he's ignorant of network security is irrelevant.

McDonald's is broadcasting a connection with the express purpose of allowing customers to use it. Your neighbor is broadcasting a connection with the express purpose of using it himself. Unless you work something out with him personally, it's stealing.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I work for a Sub of AT&T. I normally work with the ariel trucks but often I work with dig crews. We see people steal some crazy stuff as we dig for phone cable.

Cable is the most stolen. But we've seen people steal gas, electric, water, etc.

One guy tapped into a 6" gas main and fed it to his house. No fucking clue how he did it. When you bust a 6" main that shit flys out like crazy. But I've seen them tap into water mains too. One guy rigged up a system that allowed water to flow around the meter. But he put in a much smaller tubing to his water meter so that he had some water flowing through but not his normal. Guy was operating a 6bedroom house for probably the cost of a trailer.

Saw another guy steal water from his neighbors irrigation system.

People go to amazing lengths to steal shit.

As for stealing internet. Man up, and get your own stinkin internet. Then secure the bitch and enjoy watching pron at lightspeeds.
My old roommate said the same thing.... he works for Cincinnati Bell on the dig crew. He said hes seen some crazy shit done... just to spit some fucking cable....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #27
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

You guys are funny.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

wow... just wow....

capt. I do when mine shits out or some other reason, and i bet most of the ppl here have done it atleast once in there life, if on accident or on purpose, its not a pay per unit volume, so who gives a shit?!

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Truckers steal internet religeously. They will drive around areas and park the trucks for the night where the can steal a connection. Doesn't take long at all to find one.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #30
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Truckers steal internet religeously. They will drive around areas and park the trucks for the night where the can steal a connection. Doesn't take long at all to find one.
Must be an American thing. My trucker friends all have cellular internet.
Closed Thread