Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Obama answered the question honestly, as I recall. He said yes, under my plan people over a certain income WOULD get taxed higher, tough luck. At least he was honest.

As for why the media jumped all over Joe, maybe it was because he put up a front trying to act like he was "all that" when in reality he wasn't anywhere close to buying the business. Probably trying to impress the other bystanders in the crowd. Also, his question was wrong, Obama wouldn't increase taxes once a business hits $250K of sales, the OWNER would get higher taxes IF he pays HIMSELF that much. Furthermore, only about 5% of small businesses owners make that much anyway.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Obama answered the question honestly, as I recall. He said yes, under my plan people over a certain income WOULD get taxed higher, tough luck. At least he was honest.

As for why the media jumped all over Joe, maybe it was because he put up a front trying to act like he was "all that" when in reality he wasn't anywhere close to buying the business. Also, his question was wrong, Obama wouldn't increase taxes once a business hits $250K of sales, the OWNER would get higher taxes IF he pays HIMSELF that much. .Furthermore, only about 5% of small businesses owners make that much anyway.
Doesn't matter... WTF does that have to do with the Q&A that he had with Obama? Nothing. And how could his question be wrong? The question was simple... If there was any question as to what he was asking, wouldn't it have made sense for the omnipotent Obama to correct it before answering?
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #23
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You seem to be an expert on Ohio law... Turns out, you don't need to be a licensed plummer to do his job, since his boss was licensed... all good. Further, he could most certainly buy the business without being licensed, though he would have to get licensed to do the work... Also, I never saw anywhere that he puffed up his qualifications... there were just a lot of assumptions and 'gotcha' reporting.

So all the stuff about him being behind on child support, him failing the test to get his license, back taxes, voting Republican, etc, etc, etc... had WHAT to do with the question he asked?

Had the media questioned the business vs personal income issue, I would have been right there with him. Truth is, they ripped through this guy's personal life to mask the real issue...
Oh, I'm fully aware that he could work as a plumber, as long as he was working under the supervision of a licensed plumber. Could he purchase the business and operated it himself? No.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Oh, I'm fully aware that he could work as a plumber, as long as he was working under the supervision of a licensed plumber. Could he purchase the business and operated it himself? No.
So everything's moot because he didn't have the license necessary to operate the business he planned on buying in the future? Shit, I should quit my job now because I am not yet qualified to get the promotion I hope to attain the future.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
So everything's moot because he didn't have the license necessary to operate the business he planned on buying in the future? Shit, I should quit my job now because I am not yet qualified to get the promotion I hope to attain the future.
Everything is moot because he wasn't what he portrayed himself to be, couldn't have operated the business given his current circumstance, and didn't have the wherewithal to purchase or finance the business that he stated he was going to purchase. In other words, he lied his ass off with the media watching and got caught.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Everything is moot because he wasn't what he portrayed himself to be, couldn't have operated the business given his current circumstance, and didn't have the wherewithal to purchase or finance the business that he stated he was going to purchase. In other words, he lied his ass off with the media watching and got caught.
you forget that the presidency is for 4 years! Joe may not have had the ability to purchase and run the company now... but in the next four years.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #27
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
And he was running for what public office? His credibility meant exactly what to the question being asked? His motives had what to do with the questions raised about Obama's response?

The bottom line is, the media made it about the man... when the truth is... the man did not matter... it was the metaphor he represented. Focusing on him rather than what he represented and the questions in Obama's policy raised by that interview is nothing but smoke and mirrors. So focus on what doesn't matter and ignore what does... Keep listening to the media because they always tell us what we need to know and are always focused on what matters.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #28
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Joe the Plumber became big because after he asked Obama a question, Obama fucked up and showed his true colors since he didn't have his handlers handy. Saying "Redistribute the wealth" doesn't sit well with most Americans. Even poor Americans don't like that Idea (Not counting the welfare babies). The McCain camp picked up on hte fuck up and used "Joe the Plumber" because he was a basic working man that represented most of this country. However what really blew this guy up was when Obama's chronies went on a witch hunt against him and dug everything up they could about him. Which pissed off even more Americans, but it was too late. If they had something like that 2 months earlier then I think the McCain camp could have dominated Obama.

As for him in Israel. I really dont' give a fuck about him. He's not a historian who can give insite into the conflict so he has no business there. But if someone wants to pay to send him there then more power to them.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #29
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

So, I take it since some of you seem to think there was some concerted effort to distract the public, that you didn't like Obama's answer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFC9jv9jfoA

Which part of his answer was so damning that the media decided it must band together to destroy poor Joe?

There was no intent to help or hurt Obama or McCain. McCain put this loser in the spotlight, the media looked closer because he was in the spotlight, and everyone got to see what a loser he was. And apparently that's only benefitted him, because he sure as hell has not shied away from the spotlight.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
So, I take it since some of you seem to think there was some concerted effort to distract the public, that you didn't like Obama's answer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFC9jv9jfoA

Which part of his answer was so damning that the media decided it must band together to destroy poor Joe?

There was no intent to help or hurt Obama or McCain. McCain put this loser in the spotlight, the media looked closer because he was in the spotlight, and everyone got to see what a loser he was. And apparently that's only benefitted him, because he sure as hell has not shied away from the spotlight.
McCaine USED this guy as a figurehead because of his question. he was, as OSP put it, a METAPHOR for the hundred's of thousands of Americans who are in a similar situation.

regardless of his personal situations, his taxes, his lack of credentials, ect... his question was still valid for the other couple hundred thousand Americans who still fit that demographic.

The media jumped on this guy, and pulled attention from the real issue. the question and answer. instead they tore this guys life apart for what?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote