Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
AquaPython
put it THIS way

wolverine having claws, depends on what storyline. he has bone claws in the main marvel story i believe.

papa, something cool about the movie gattaca , besides the story, is the title. do you know what it is (without googling)?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
wolverine having claws, depends on what storyline. he has bone claws in the main marvel story i believe.

papa, something cool about the movie gattaca , besides the story, is the title. do you know what it is (without googling)?
Yup, the letter representations of the amino acids in DNA.

(That's why i wrote it in all caps, instead of the way that it's usually written as the title)
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It's a different type of film being made now for a different audience. Most people seem to want the big blockbusters now, with lots of action and special effects. One thing that frequently gets lost is the story. Far too many films that I see now are essentially a set-up, followed by 1.5 hours of gunshots and stuff blowing up, then the death of the big badguy.

Every now and then I like to go back to the old stuff, to see how a story can be spun. Stuff like Citizen Cane, The Ten Commandments, Psycho and the other great Hitchcock films, and The Day the Earth Stood Still stand head and shoulders above the current stuff, in the art of storytelling. The old Bogart films are great stuff.

There are some exceptions though. GATTACA was a good story, but put most people to sleep. There's a movie that I only discovered recently though it was out quite a while back (2002); Equilibrium. It's a shoot-em-up that actually has a bit of a story hooking things together. Then there's the incredible stuff that Frank Miller is putting out; Sin City, 300, and the upcoming The Spirit. They've got both style AND substance.
Gattaca was awesome... Equilibrium was fanfuckingtastic too... I dunno about The Spirit... it looks like it could be pretty gay.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Gattaca was awesome... Equilibrium was fanfuckingtastic too... I dunno about The Spirit... it looks like it could be pretty gay.
I was looking forward to The Spirit, but it's getting slammed in reviews. I could see it going either way. It's a film I could see getting lost in its own visual stylings at the expense of any kinda coherent plot. Eva Mendez and Scarlett Johansson are pretty as hell, but neither of them can act worth a damn. And take your Ghost World shit and shove it up your ass, pre-emptively, that was a Thora Birch movie all the way. Samuel L. Jackson hasn't played anything but yelling Samuel L. Jackson in his past couple films. So already it's tap dancing on three strikes against it.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #25
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

gattaca was the shit, not alot of ppl even know about tho. wolverine looks badass, cant wait for that shit to come out.... kinda iffy on the spirit tho.

the day the earth stood still was ok, but the trailers misguide u horribly. i went in expecting one thing and got another. it was a "message movie"

and of course i have to see fast and furious
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #26
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

He's always had them. They were made out of bone. If you look at the comics where they removed his adamantium, they were still there. And if you read the origins comic, he killed a bad guy in his house as a child with his little tiny bone claws.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #27
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

[QUOTE=Papa_Complex;129316] Equilibrium. QUOTE]

Great movie.

Awesome trailer, you fucking rock OSP

Can't wait to see how they play out Gambit. He was always my fav in the animated series. Sorry, never read the comic books.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #28
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I was looking forward to The Spirit, but it's getting slammed in reviews. I could see it going either way. It's a film I could see getting lost in its own visual stylings at the expense of any kinda coherent plot. Eva Mendez and Scarlett Johansson are pretty as hell, but neither of them can act worth a damn. And take your Ghost World shit and shove it up your ass, pre-emptively, that was a Thora Birch movie all the way. Samuel L. Jackson hasn't played anything but yelling Samuel L. Jackson in his past couple films. So already it's tap dancing on three strikes against it.
I'll have to read the reviews of The Spirit here, in Toronto. We've got two reviewers who if they agree that a movie sucks, I always love it. I'm a big fan of the old radio serials. Used to stay up past midnight as a kid to listen to them being rerun on a local radio station. Stuff like The Shadow, The Falcon, and Batman. The Spirit was a comic book spin on this sort of thing, but with a twist, and Miller is great at that stuff.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #29
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
He's always had them. They were made out of bone. If you look at the comics where they removed his adamantium, they were still there. And if you read the origins comic, he killed a bad guy in his house as a child with his little tiny bone claws.
That must have been after my time. When I was reading the comics they had no idea where he'd come from and though that he could have been hundreds of years old, even before the Weapon X programme.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #30
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Wplverine always had the claws, but he didn't always know he had them. During Weapon X they grafted adamantium onto his bone claws just like all of his other bones.

Deadpool needs to look really messed up or be under the red and black mask, but I guess they want to show of Ryan Reynolds. Remember though, it wasn't until after the Weapon X program that the unfortunate combination of the grafted in healing factor and his terminal cancer made him look like hamburger, before then he looked a lot like Ryan Reynolds, except on chemo.

Hugh Jackman sucks. I hate him as Wolverine and pretty much everything else. They would have done better casting Glenn Danzig.