Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #21
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

ya most snowboad lenses are layer (2 lenses) for anti-fog and actually pretty flimsy. but they're not intended to take any sort of beating.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #22
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

The military issues out Wiley X SG-1's for eye protection when you deploy, at least the AF does. I'd go with some of those, they're not terribly expensive, they're ballistic rated, and you can chage the lenses out. Plus, I can steal them from supply.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
The military issues out Wiley X SG-1's for eye protection when you deploy, at least the AF does. I'd go with some of those, they're not terribly expensive, they're ballistic rated, and you can chage the lenses out. Plus, I can steal them from supply.
on both of my deployments i got both Wiley X's and the cheap sand goggles...

Amorok what do you do in the AF?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #24
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

I was a Reservist so I didn't get issued anything for eye protection. I did however have an artic sleeping bag in my mobility bag

I ended up buying most of the gear I needed because it took my unit 3 1/2 of my 4 months over there to even get us some 100% cotton DCU's instead of the freaking hot ass NYCO's. The biggest problem was I was stationed at Camp Doha, the Army base in Kuwait so didn't have any supply I could go to there and it became so much of a hassle trying to get stuff I just started buying it from Blackhawk and Brigade Quartermaster. I could have stuff in a week from them, go figure.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #25
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I'm not a fan of the Wiley-X's.. I have like two sets that they've issued me, and while I *can* get them in prescription, they just don't fit me very well.

I need to just get LASIK done someday so I don't have to worry about whatever I get either working with my prescription or being able to fit over my glasses.

And yes, I know Tricare pays for it.. but they only allow *one* elective surgery.. so it's between LASIK and dental impants.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #26
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
dental implants.
Bigger teeth?

JC
Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #27
Archren
Sham WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Bigger teeth?

JC
Naw, just replacing the ones I'm missing. I have a partial denture right now, but I've already broken it in the past, and I've cracked it again since the last repair job.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."

-Dr. Seuss
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #28
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I've never had a problem with the Wiley-X's, but a couple of friends of mine hated them. They are and odd shape, but mine came with a strap and legs, so if the goggles aren't comfortable I just switch them over to sunglasses. I've never messed with perscription, so I couldn't say if they're any good for that. Mine are pretty much just a backup anyway, I wear Maui Jim's all the time and I ride with a full-face almost 100% so I don't really have a need for goggles. I keep them in the bag with the spare helmet and vest in case of unexpected passenger.

Ebbs, I'm a UETM, my AFSC is 3S271. I'm the guy who gives out CDC's and inspects training records. I cross-trained into this job after five years in aircraft maintenance because they made me (stupid force shaping.) and while it's not a bad job I still want to go back to the line. I worked 135's, R and T models at the worst base in the AF and I still miss my old job. Yourself?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #29
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I'm not a fan of the Wiley-X's.. I have like two sets that they've issued me, and while I *can* get them in prescription, they just don't fit me very well.

I need to just get LASIK done someday so I don't have to worry about whatever I get either working with my prescription or being able to fit over my glasses.

And yes, I know Tricare pays for it.. but they only allow *one* elective surgery.. so it's between LASIK and dental impants.
I'll check today, as I'm medical admin and Tricare is part of my job (well outside Korea it is) but I don't think LASIK is considered a elective surgery for active duty. that's assuming you are active. I'll be having it done as soon as I get to Keesler. Fuck contacts... especially with astigmatism $800 for 6months worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I've never had a problem with the Wiley-X's, but a couple of friends of mine hated them. They are and odd shape, but mine came with a strap and legs, so if the goggles aren't comfortable I just switch them over to sunglasses. I've never messed with perscription, so I couldn't say if they're any good for that. Mine are pretty much just a backup anyway, I wear Maui Jim's all the time and I ride with a full-face almost 100% so I don't really have a need for goggles. I keep them in the bag with the spare helmet and vest in case of unexpected passenger.

Ebbs, I'm a UETM, my AFSC is 3S271. I'm the guy who gives out CDC's and inspects training records. I cross-trained into this job after five years in aircraft maintenance because they made me (stupid force shaping.) and while it's not a bad job I still want to go back to the line. I worked 135's, R and T models at the worst base in the AF and I still miss my old job. Yourself?
FUCK admin work... I'm a 4A071 Health Services Manager... glorified name for medical admin. anything that is medical but doesn't actually care directly for the patients is what I do. we have 27 different jobs we can work in the hospital from: Medical Records, Tricare, Resource Management to a couple that aren't even in our CDC's but we handle them like the Orderly Room and Medical Information Systems, which is working as a CSA on the medical computers... which is what I do.

I love being a CSA to a point... it's different in the MDG as we have our own servers and play by different rules than 90% of the Air Force... but that makes dealing with base comm a pain in the fuck'n ass..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #30
Archren
Sham WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I'll check today, as I'm medical admin and Tricare is part of my job (well outside Korea it is) but I don't think LASIK is considered a elective surgery for active duty. that's assuming you are active. I'll be having it done as soon as I get to Keesler. Fuck contacts... especially with astigmatism $800 for 6months worth...
I'm on ADOS/ADSW... but I'm Title 32 (National Guard). I'm not sure if I'll fall under Title 10 when I get hired on as AGR (still in the works, but not yet)... I currently have Tricare Prime Remote.. does that still count?

-Dr. Seuss