Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-31-2008, 12:41 AM   #21
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Sounds like you have everything setup... now just have good follow thru.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #22
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

pssh if it aint snowin im riding lol. been thinking of pulling my daytona out of the garage for snow duty though
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Not to argue with G-man but I've never done anything to "winterize" a motorcycle in all my years of riding. Apart from lubing the chain and putting it on stands. I normally go out and start it every week on two and that's it. I've never had any problems whatsoever with any bike because of this.

I do have one question though...how will water "get into your motor" from starting it? It's a "sealed system" for the most part. I can see the water already in the crankcase condensing but not how you'll add water to your oil. Lastly,I don't "Summerize" my car/truck that barely gets driven for 8 months of the year..... a motorcycle isn't any different than a car as far as I'm concerned.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Is your oil pan completely full of oil? Nope. There is air in there. And what does air do when it goes from extreme to extreme? It will create condesation, same goes for your rocker boxes. The oil pump system is sealed as it needs to build up pressure but when the oil leaves the pump system and just gets flung around moving parts in the heads and such or returns to the oil pan... BAM there it is... AIR

Damn how did that get there!!

Run Amsoil Product
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Is your oil pan completely full of oil? Nope. There is air in there. And what does air do when it goes from extreme to extreme? It will create condesation, same goes for your rocker boxes. The oil pump system is sealed as it needs to build up pressure but when the oil leaves the pump system and just gets flung around moving parts in the heads and such or returns to the oil pan... BAM there it is... AIR

Damn how did that get there!!

Um Chris,that air is already in there, right? So any moisture is already in your engine. How will it increase is my question? Besides,does that mean I shouldn't start my car when it's cold? Aren't both engines the same in that regard (I know the differences between a bike engine and a car). IDK all I'm saying is I've followed my procedure every year for about 20 and have never had a problem. In fact,I've never had any engine problems with a bike (knock on wood).

Anyway,believe it or not I'm not questioning YOU but mostly questioning the practice. Before,people would talk about gummed up carbs,who has carbs now? Injectors won't get "gummed up" if you run the bike every so often,besides gasoline is much better quality than 100 years ago when this "ritual winterization" started. I'm not sure it was ever necessary but it's should be even less necessary now in my mind...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 PM   #26
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Um Chris,that air is already in there, right? So any moisture is already in your engine. How will it increase is my question? Besides,does that mean I shouldn't start my car when it's cold? Aren't both engines the same in that regard (I know the differences between a bike engine and a car). IDK all I'm saying is I've followed my procedure every year for about 20 and have never had a problem. In fact,I've never had any engine problems with a bike (knock on wood).

Anyway,believe it or not I'm not questioning YOU but mostly questioning the practice. Before,people would talk about gummed up carbs,who has carbs now? Injectors won't get "gummed up" if you run the bike every so often,besides gasoline is much better quality than 100 years ago when this "ritual winterization" started. I'm not sure it was ever necessary but it's should be even less necessary now in my mind...

It's not that the air changes or anything, its that the air gets warm. The air outside is cold, so when you turn off the engine and the inside air quits moving, the cold air on the outside causes condensation to form on the sides of the oil pan etc. thus causing the possibility of rust.
My question to those that do it... Why start it every couple weeks?

Quote:
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #27
dubbs
Multistrada

I ride, unless it's snowing, snow on the ground, or ice..

Winterizing is for pussies..
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #28
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Mine was officially in storage in the middle of August, fresh oil, sta-bil from the tank through the throttle doddies, all the way to the cylinders. Chain cleaned and waxed before it was crated and she's already on front/rear stands. It's time to get some mods/repairs done! I just wonder how far I'll take her apart this time? It'll probably be worse than last time. I think Rae remembers how bad it was the last time I took her apart.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #29
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Your car is different because you actually drive it daily...

Run Amsoil Product
Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Your car is different because you actually drive it daily...
Ok,well I don't drive my car hardly ever and it sits for weeks at a time. I had my truck,in Michigan,and when I turned it back in after the lease it had under 20,000 miles. I've seen motors that have sat for over a year start up and run,. Anyway,I really don't want to argue,I was just curious as to why you people do it. Now I know,you're afraid that the water vapor that is already in your motor will condense,like it does anyway,from changes in temperature. I've heard all the normal reasons before so....