Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I only count them as close calls if they suprise me. I am all the time seeing something evolve in front of me that makes me more angry than scared. Like folks changing lanes on top of you...Sometimes I just roll up alongside and tap the mirror as I go by...

Once I was following an little old couple on a two lane...I could tell their age by peering in at the blue hair, slumped posture, and the grand old speed of 38 mph in a 55. I am looking for a passing lane when I notice the old fellow has fixated on me in his rear view while ignoring the road ahead. Slowly he drifts right and onto the gravel shoulder sending up a shower of rocks...I brake hard and move to the centerline only to watch him over correct and head for the oncoming lane...meeting a dump truck, all the while watching me! The dump truck panics hits his shoulder and sends up another shower of Arkansas gravel. By this time the old lady has woken up, told off the old man and he swerves back into his lane...I waited for the dust to settle and then got by and gone quickly!!!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #22
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Moto: (The Chi's lover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I only count them as close calls if they suprise me. I am all the time seeing something evolve in front of me that makes me more angry than scared. Like folks changing lanes on top of you...Sometimes I just roll up alongside and tap the mirror as I go by...

Once I was following an little old couple on a two lane...I could tell their age by peering in at the blue hair, slumped posture, and the grand old speed of 38 mph in a 55. I am looking for a passing lane when I notice the old fellow has fixated on me in his rear view while ignoring the road ahead. Slowly he drifts right and onto the gravel shoulder sending up a shower of rocks...I brake hard and move to the centerline only to watch him over correct and head for the oncoming lane...meeting a dump truck, all the while watching me! The dump truck panics hits his shoulder and sends up another shower of Arkansas gravel. By this time the old lady has woken up, told off the old man and he swerves back into his lane...I waited for the dust to settle and then got by and gone quickly!!!
Classic!

Ya, I love the hood slap and or Mirror foldage myself!

Strange how the brake hit for no reason comes just after the rear view stare.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #23
Switch
dadbod

The only time I have ever had a close call was on the track. Other times, it was just a call.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I've only got one where I was really worried. 1st run through the twisties on the Buell....about a week after I bought it.

Anyone ever heard that Buells run wide if you trail brake....that shit is no lie. They do. And it did....right off the pavement and into the gravel. Bike stayed up and I rode off. And slowed down.
the 1125 doesn't seem to have that prob

2 close calls

1 on track, turn 8 (my fav) was getting too comfortable and got really happy with the throttle, rear spun out, grabbed traction, and then started a tank slapper. stayed on the gas till it quit, and then decided that was the end of my session.

2. in town, sand on the corner, got cocky and "backed it in" thru the corner.
was going in excess of the speed limit after that so applied the front brake. still sand on the street so the front tucked. bike fell right, caught it with my foot, bike went left, caught it with my foot, accelerated and came out of it.

comonboys and another friend were expecting me to go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #25
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Good for you man. Way to stay on it.
It's so against your natural reactions in situations like that I can't even describe it... like tearing your vision away from target fixation or staying on the throttle in an almost-highside... takes a lot of mental effort. I was basically screaming at myself inside my head what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
with your new plastics?! fuck that alone probably made your butt pucker...
Nah, they're going to get fucked up at some point for sure... No worries.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote