Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
When I was in my first two years of college, my dad would say that with today's job market, I either needed to be in the medical field, or some sort of skilled trade. Hell, almost 2 degrees later, and I still don't know what the hell I want to do. I know what I WANT to do, but that is a different story.
Yeah man, I've been in the same type of business for 9 years... still don't know what I want to do...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
When I was in my first two years of college, my dad would say that with today's job market, I either needed to be in the medical field, or some sort of skilled trade. Hell, almost 2 degrees later, and I still don't know what the hell I want to do. I know what I WANT to do, but that is a different story.
Lost of opportunities in the medical field, and you dont have to be in the trenches slugging it out the way I am. Plenty of computer/it and administrative type gigs that pay well.

Working on the construction sites for the last 4 years I have seen a lot of things too. A lot of these trades pay ridiculously well, but work can be spotty at times, you may have soem sucky commutes ( I have met guys whose commutes make mine look like a stroll in the park) and you can also have a lot of political BS withthe companies and the unions. Construction seems to be the last arena for a lot of corruption that still goes unchecked so you gotta deal with that. But I have seen soem of these trades that make upwards of 70 dollars an hr. The moneys def there but you need to be ready for the lifestyle too.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Lost of opportunities in the medical field, and you dont have to be in the trenches slugging it out the way I am. Plenty of computer/it and administrative type gigs that pay well.

Working on the construction sites for the last 4 years I have seen a lot of things too. A lot of these trades pay ridiculously well, but work can be spotty at times, you may have soem sucky commutes ( I have met guys whose commutes make mine look like a stroll in the park) and you can also have a lot of political BS withthe companies and the unions. Construction seems to be the last arena for a lot of corruption that still goes unchecked so you gotta deal with that. But I have seen soem of these trades that make upwards of 70 dollars an hr. The moneys def there but you need to be ready for the lifestyle too.
Most of the electricians in our little circle are spending more time on furlough each year. One of ht guys in our neighborhood is a carpenter and he was out so long he took a job at a friends company doing marketing stuff.

Knowing folks who work at Stony Brook and a couple of other hospitals, I'm amazed that more bitch slapping has not occured. Everytime I hear stories about how they run things (admin\IT side) .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg originachanl.jpg (66.6 KB, 57 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Well, one thing I do know, when the zombie apocalypse comes, not gonna need an IT guy on my remote island. You better have a skill.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Most of the electricians in our little circle are spending more time on furlough each year. One of ht guys in our neighborhood is a carpenter and he was out so long he took a job at a friends company doing marketing stuff.

Knowing folks who work at Stony Brook and a couple of other hospitals, I'm amazed that more bitch slapping has not occured. Everytime I hear stories about how they run things (admin\IT side) .......
Stony brook is a state school/hospital so you may be getting hte shallow end of the talent pool. Most of the skilled labor guys I am dealing with are more in heavy construction, and were covering some BIG projects so theres work there for a few years, but theyre winding down so were all wondering where we go next.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I think college is a giant waste of time. You pay a gazillion $$$ for a piece of paper that says you may be ready for a company to hire you. Doesn't mean they will...

Right now I'm looking for a job. I got back from vacation a week ago, and found out my work cut my hours in half. I'm beyond being able to be picky about a job now. I got screwed out of my last job offer, and it kind of took the wind out of my sails. Right now I'm looking at corporate jobs around the columbus area. I graduate in 7 weeks, so I just need something to start with....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
I think college is a giant waste of time. You pay a gazillion $$$ for a piece of paper that says you may be ready for a company to hire you. Doesn't mean they will...

Right now I'm looking for a job. I got back from vacation a week ago, and found out my work cut my hours in half. I'm beyond being able to be picky about a job now. I got screwed out of my last job offer, and it kind of took the wind out of my sails. Right now I'm looking at corporate jobs around the columbus area. I graduate in 7 weeks, so I just need something to start with....
College MIGHT be a waste of time depending upon what you take, and what your aptitudes are. I went to school with a bunch of people who were there, because they'd been told that electronics and computers were where the money was going to be. I had been messing around with electronics since I was 8 years old, by cannibalizing broken radios, TVs, and toys.

Too many people go into fields, that they have no native ability for. If more people would worry about what they already do well, instead of what they can make the most money at doing, then they'd get far more out of the educational system.

Also if you're already good at something it tends to come out in the interview, so you WILL get hired.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
College MIGHT be a waste of time depending upon what you take, and what your aptitudes are. I went to school with a bunch of people who were there, because they'd been told that electronics and computers were where the money was going to be. I had been messing around with electronics since I was 8 years old, by cannibalizing broken radios, TVs, and toys.

Too many people go into fields, that they have no native ability for. If more people would worry about what they already do well, instead of what they can make the most money at doing, then they'd get far more out of the educational system.

Also if you're already good at something it tends to come out in the interview, so you WILL get hired.
True. I'm a people person at heart, and a good communicator. I mean, that translates well almost in every field. And talking about aptitude, yea I probably should have gone into something medical, but business and entrepreneurship always peaked my interest.

This thing that bothers me is it seems like every open job that I'm finding is asking for 5-6 years of experience in the field. Everybody keeps telling me to not undersell myself.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I think college is a giant waste of time. You pay a gazillion $$$ for a piece of paper that says you may be ready for a company to hire you. Doesn't mean they will.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
College MIGHT be a waste of time depending upon what you take, and what your aptitudes are.

Frustration is being beat out by someone JUST because they have that damn little piece of paper. I mean, it's frustrating enough looking for employment. But, when that is the reason given it sucks.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #30
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
True. I'm a people person at heart, and a good communicator. I mean, that translates well almost in every field. And talking about aptitude, yea I probably should have gone into something medical, but business and entrepreneurship always peaked my interest.

This thing that bothers me is it seems like every open job that I'm finding is asking for 5-6 years of experience in the field. Everybody keeps telling me to not undersell myself.
It's a bad time. There are a lot of people out there in the US, who are out of work, who have some serious experience. The flip-side of the problem that you are having is that people in their 50s, with 20 or 30 years in an industry, are not being hired either because they're considered to be 'too old.'

I graduated in a similar time, in the mid/late '80s, when there was a glut of people in technology. Despite being an award winner and top of my class, my first job was for $12,000/yr.. I persisted, though, and now I'm in a good place, with people who appreciate my knowledge and performance.

It doesn't happen overnight and, regardless of what you think of your own abilities, you have to get yourself into a position where you can demonstrate them to someone else.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote