Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #21
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
actually i did recently learn that actually feeding any pet live food isn't as good for them (insert nutritious) as feeding them the factory made food (well at least the good food). Its kind of one of those things that after you hear it you go hmm yeah that makes sense I should have already known that.
Only problem is they havent invented snake chow yet

My critters oly get prekilled frozen rodents, they are better fed for the most part and are free from parasites. I lost 4 pythons from mites when I fed live food, and feeding my 13ft retic was usualy a big event in the neighborhood. Everyone would come by on feeding day to watch the carnage LOL
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #22
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Only problem is they havent invented snake chow yet

My critters oly get prekilled frozen rodents, they are better fed for the most part and are free from parasites. I lost 4 pythons from mites when I fed live food, and feeding my 13ft retic was usualy a big event in the neighborhood. Everyone would come by on feeding day to watch the carnage LOL
So true about the snake chow.

When I first got mine...the guy that had him fed him live only and I did at first as well and then converted him to eating prekilled...much easier for the both of us. I don't have to keep up with a live rodent running around and possibly getting loose and also don't have to worry about it biting/scratching me or the snake...or the mites/parasites you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
The pythons eating is usualy quick and easy, I dont see the sense in that esp since its a pita to clean up the tank after that. I had a few snappers back in the day and mostly fed them feeder fish and they actualy loved oscar pellets and turtle pellets, easier and a lot less messy.
Agreed...the person that put that video together seemed to really get off on the gore. Actually made me feel bad for the rat in a few of those clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
Totally agree. And I at least have the decency to have the rat killed before I feed it to my Boa
I do too now. I've got a local guy (Veterinarian) that has a 'rat factory' www.carolinarodents.com and I just email him and then swing by and pick up a few at a time on the way home every couple of weeks and put them in a cooler with ice in the back of my Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
actually i did recently learn that actually feeding any pet live food isn't as good for them (insert nutritious) as feeding them the factory made food (well at least the good food). Its kind of one of those things that after you hear it you go hmm yeah that makes sense I should have already known that.
I guess you're not talking about snakes. Captive born..raised and bred rats that are prekilled are very nutritious...safe... and clean for a snake as long as you freeze them until it's time to feed or feed them to the snake right after they've been killed...of course I guess the freezing part is good for killing off any of the parasites.

Ok enough about this...Happy Friday everyone !!

Last edited by z06boy; 07-16-2010 at 10:34 AM..
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

yeah i don't know anything about snakes or their diet.. i was more talking in general.. my actual conversation was specific to fish when i was discussing this subject about live food vs. manufactured food.. i used to have about 10 tanks full of fish and i always fed them live food supplemented with some pellets or flakes.. guess that wasn't the best way to go..

as far as dog food i would only ever feed my dog Nutro Natural Choice - no corn or corn meal.. anything else is garbage.. Well except I heard there is some brand named Chicken Soup or something that is supposed to be as good or better than Nutro.. the cat well he gets whatever is on sale.. i hate cats..

But no idea on snakes, reptiles, snapping turtles, etc.

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #24
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
So true about the snake chow.

When I first got mine...the guy that had him fed him live only and I did at first as well and then converted him to eating prekilled...much easier for the both of us. I don't have to keep up with a live rodent running around and possibly getting loose and also don't have to worry about it biting/scratching me or the snake...or the mites/parasites you mentioned.

Agreed...the person that put that video together seemed to really get off on the gore. Actually made me feel bad for the rat in a few of those clips.

I do too now. I've got a local guy (Veterinarian) that has a 'rat factory' www.carolinarodents.com and I just email him and then swing by and pick up a few at a time on the way home every couple of weeks and put them in a cooler with ice in the back of my Jeep.

I guess you're not talking about snakes. Captive born..raised and bred rats that are prekilled are very nutritious...safe... and clean for a snake as long as you freeze them until it's time to feed or feed them to the snake right after they've been killed...of course I guess the freezing part is good for killing off any of the parasites.

Ok enough about this...Happy Friday everyone !!
Some are tough to switch over if they have been started on live food, and some species are tough to start on as well. A few of my king and corn snakes would even eat right from my hand (but not try to eat my hand LOL) my northern pine usualy just ate when you intorduced the rat, he woul dlook at it for a few seconds, find the head and swallow from there. his response was so blunted when he struck at food he just pushed it against the side of the tank.

Now fungo on the other hand, hes 7 rys old, never had or saw a living rodent and his response is still as keen as ever and actualy has to strike and wrap a rodent or he wont eat it.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8 Braker View Post
Isn't getting pleasure from harming animals one of the top traits of serial killers?
That was exactly my thought.

From what I understand for snakes, live food causes more aggression issues than the prekilled, frozen etc but its very hard to swap from one to the other. A friend used to feed his the frozen mice, but he had to nuke tham and warm them up before the snake would even show interest.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #26
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

If I catch one of these babies, the only live food will be feeder golds.

There are HUGE snappers out back, 30lbers at least...I'm gonna need a bigger boat

A few weeks ago I was walking the dog and saw something on the water that looked like a white trash bag...odd..I eyeballed it, it was moving. As I approached, I noticed it was a Goose and the movement were snappers quite litteraly tearing it appart. I sat there and watched for what seamed like five minutes in strange awe...these suckers...3 or 4 snappers where lopping off chunks of meat. I was wondering if the goose died anturally or did the snapper get it...they were easliy almost as big as the goose
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
If I catch one of these babies, the only live food will be feeder golds.

There are HUGE snappers out back, 30lbers at least...I'm gonna need a bigger boat

A few weeks ago I was walking the dog and saw something on the water that looked like a white trash bag...odd..I eyeballed it, it was moving. As I approached, I noticed it was a Goose and the movement were snappers quite litteraly tearing it appart. I sat there and watched for what seamed like five minutes in strange awe...these suckers...3 or 4 snappers where lopping off chunks of meat. I was wondering if the goose died anturally or did the snapper get it...they were easliy almost as big as the goose
DONT FEED THEM GOLDFISH, you have ot use minnows or something else, goldfish are not good for turtles.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Goldfish aren't good for anything, from what I can tell.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

snappers make good soup.. we use to catch them with pepperoni out of the river..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Turtle is one of those foods, like crab,that is more trouble than it's worth IMHO.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote