Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
They need a version 2.0 ASAP.
Too many asshole chugged it up with nonsense and the BS the GOP pulled screwed over republican ideas.

Personally,
I would have rather seen:
- Single Payer Gov't option
- Gov't subsidies on medical schools\tuition. (I can understand why AMA would be hesitant against this because in the long run it would drive down compensation - if Med school is cheaper and more candidates enter the job market).

Gov't option provides baseline level of protection and then private industry can fill in with upmarket or niche products. I would then reduce regulation of private insurers.
If they want to drop you because you are high risk then so be it.

Malpractice award limits are a whole other can beans and peronally I'm unsypathetic to the rhetoric after seeing some of the info I have seen.

Freeing up insurers to go across state lines would end up disasterous. you'd would then see the formation of behemoths as small insurers get gobbled up and competition would disappear.
Version 2.0 isn't coming. All you need to do is look at the way the Democrats and the media are celebrating this supposed great victory. Actually trying to find and fix the problems in the system appears to be too much work. Instead they presented this half assed measure more than 12% of Democrats in the House wouldn't vote for.

As for "the formation of behemoths" and disappearance of competition, the UnitedHealth Group (claim 70 million directly and indirectly), Blue Cross Blue Shield/Wellpoint (claim 100 million directly and indirectly), and Aetna (17 million medical/13 million group) insure at least in part somewhere around 200 million people. That is 2/3rds of Americans getting part of their health insurance through one of these 3 companies. When you factor in the claim that 45 million are currently uninsured it gets closer to 80% of insured Americans getting part of their health insurance through one of these three companies. Your concern is a little late.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #22
t-homo
WSB Champion

So if you can get insurance with a pre-existing condition, why not just not have insurance until something bad happens? It would probably be cheaper to pay the fine than to carry insurance your whole life anyway.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
So if you can get insurance with a pre-existing condition, why not just not have insurance until something bad happens? It would probably be cheaper to pay the fine than to carry insurance your whole life anyway.
untill you wad up your motorcycle and need emergency care. Nice Er visit for a trauma workup will usualy cost upwards of 10k dollars.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote