Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
There was much controversy over the donations. Did I really deserve it? Was I covering enough miles per day? Was my ride adventurous enough? Were my thumbs real or implants? Etc. etc. In fact, the "anti-Kaneman" thread swelled to be nearly as large as my actual ride report.

Since I had foolishly given out all my contact information I got constant emails and texts and an occasional phone call from people who disagreed with what I was doing.
For those who know nothing about this, link us to the ride report or give us a summary. Sounds like a good story.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
For those who know nothing about this, link us to the ride report or give us a summary. Sounds like a good story.
Also to the thread with the criticism. I wanna see which one I posted in.

Sounds like some people were jealous, and used that as an excuse to talk shit or threaten to call the IRS or something.

Donating some pocket change to someone doesn't mean you can tell them how to spend it. Could I call the Red Cross and tell them what to do? Good luck with that.

They should be thankful for all the long-distance touring tips you were posting in that thread.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #23
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

It was mostly negative vibes from Adv rider folks. Yeh I kept up with your progress most of the time. Especially around the time you went down in TX, even finally heard the whole story behind that too.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203720

I don't have the link to the thread in JM over there (I deliberately avoided it - I put twenty in too and didn't want to give the naysayers the time of day).

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Most girls won't know the diff. Try doing 300,000+ miles in a lambo I'm honestly surprised he didn't die in a fire from all the time he spent in that car
Give me one and I would be more then happy to try. I see no reason why a Lambo will not do 300000 miles. And I was joking about the NSX, I just thought I would throw that in. LOL.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #26
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Despite the donations I received to help with my exodus I have only now recovered from my 2007 trip, in a financial sense. I sold most of the things I had that were worth anything, the rest of what I owned was stolen from the storage I put it in, so when I got back I had nothing. I had completely cashed out my 401k and all that good stuff as well.

The financial burden would not be a deterrent to doing something like this. It was well worth it.
I followed that thread. I thought you were crazy for doing but thought it was cool. I also liked how people helped you try to repair your bike and donate to keep you going. I thought about putting some in but the time I really thought about it you stopped. I was disappointed that you stopped. I enjoyed reading your updates. I don't understand the hate mail. You left your job and went on you road. People know this and wanted to help you out. I think some might have been living their dream through your adventures. If someone wanted to help out then thats up to them.

I don't know about some people.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Give me one and I would be more then happy to try. I see no reason why a Lambo will not do 300000 miles. And I was joking about the NSX, I just thought I would throw that in. LOL.

James
I don't know if Lambos are as expensive to run as Ferraris but if they are it would be expensive as shit.

From what I have heard specifically about Gallardos you would be looking at somewhere north of $80,000 just in oil changes and normal 10,000 mile maintenance expenses. Add in all the special interval stuff and especially tires and I'm guessing that would climb well above $100,000 easy.

Some used specialty vehicle dealer posted a page (take that for what it is worth) tracking the ownership expense for one particular Ferrari 550 over the course of 40,000 miles. Maintenance alone was around $100k if I'm remembering it right. Once fuel costs, depreciation, and some minor bodywork was factored in I want to say total cost of ownership was around $250k.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Not to mention what is the fuel economy, 12 mpg?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #29
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

13 highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Not to mention what is the fuel economy, 12 mpg?
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #30
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

This guy is my hero.

Yea he committed financial suicide, and I would never have the balls to do it. But I bet this guy has a lifetime of stories and experiences that none of us will ever have. Too bad about the car. I am betting some other Lambo owner will hear about this story and look to help him out.

And I would love to have a Ferrari, but they are way too finicky. Shit I know this story was a couple years ago, but there is a Gallardo with 8k miles online for $69,999 right now. At that price it might be worth doing....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote