Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
You guys are crazy. I want to be comfortable when I'm home, so the thermostat's set to 72 all year. I can't imagine being cold in my own home to save a few bucks a month.
I agree. 60 is too damn low for me. I like 70.

I don't control the heat in my apartment though so if I get cold I put on a blanket or extra clothes.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

When it starts to get really cold, will have to turn the furnace on just enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Will probably turn it to 50, and keep the electric heaters on.

Will post updates to see what the outcome of the combo is.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #23
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
No kidding! 72 is cold without the sun out and the wind blowing. I rode last weekend at night, it was probably like 60 degrees (maybe higher) and I thought I was going to get windburn on my legs

I don't dress warm though even with the heat on. The apt is warm enough for me to dress like I do in the summer.

Fleck you need to move out here to the desert. There are no jobs here either but at least your utilities will be cheap. The most I ever paid for my electric bill is about $100 in August and I was bitching and complaining about it and I live in an upstairs (warmer) unit, about 800 sq ft. Water, sewer trash is about $30 and my gas bill is never above $50 in the winter (and thats when the electric bill drops to about $40).
Am considering studying to be a pharmacy tech. Then I'll be able to move somewhere warmer. Sick people live everywhere.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

our thermostat has been set to off since august
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #25
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Am considering studying to be a pharmacy tech. Then I'll be able to move somewhere warmer. Sick people live everywhere.
That's what my daughter does. I don't know what the requirements are where you live but she got a job as a cashier in a pharmacy and got a book from them to study for her tech test. Within about 4 months she took the test and passed and *bam* certified tech. A little over a year later she is making around 14 or 15 an hour, which isn't bad for a 21 year old! You don't need to go to school if you can get OJT in a pharmacy. That's kind of a rip off actually. The school I mean.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #26
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
That's what my daughter does. I don't know what the requirements are where you live but she got a job as a cashier in a pharmacy and got a book from them to study for her tech test. Within about 4 months she took the test and passed and *bam* certified tech. A little over a year later she is making around 14 or 15 an hour, which isn't bad for a 21 year old! You don't need to go to school if you can get OJT in a pharmacy. That's kind of a rip off actually. The school I mean.
Thank you for the info. It's what I've heard from most that wotk in the industry.
Most don't want you to attend school, it teaches bad habits.

Could you possibly ask your daughter what book she studied from? I have 3 different ones that I can order online that are study manuals for the tech test.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #27
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Ours has come on a few timessometimes I will kick it on when I wake up in the morning then shut it back off when I leave for work. We have 2 zones and the downstairs is down at like 60/off so that rareley kicks on.

I bought a programable thermostat I just need to get around to actualy installing it so I can set it for those times in the am.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #28
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

I have the Franco-Belge oil heater burner in the basement set on low and the hot air oil heater only comes on when it gets in the 30s outside.

Keeps it about 66-68

Once it gets colder, I'll fire up the coal insert and it'll be nice and toasty here, low 70s.

I installed four oil tanks in my basement, for a total of 1100 gallons capacity. I wait until the price is the best and fill it up. I paid $1.759 a gallon this year. Those 1100 gallons would last me two years.

Here's the gravity feed Franco-Belge oil burner. Think kerosene heater behind glass without the smell or dirt/soot. Adjustable flame. Even with no electricity, this will provide heat and place to cook.

This is the Harman wood/coal insert that we burn chestnut size coal in. Just shake the ash in the morning and evening when you top it off with coal and it stays nice and warm for cheap.

Oil tank set up

The three ton of coal we purchased for this year. Those are 50 lb bags stacked over 4' high.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
I have the Franco-Belge oil heater burner in the basement set on low and the hot air oil heater only comes on when it gets in the 30s outside.

Keeps it about 66-68

Once it gets colder, I'll fire up the coal insert and it'll be nice and toasty here, low 70s.

I installed four oil tanks in my basement, for a total of 1100 gallons capacity. I wait until the price is the best and fill it up. I paid $1.759 a gallon this year. Those 1100 gallons would last me two years.

Here's the gravity feed Franco-Belge oil burner. Think kerosene heater behind glass without the smell or dirt/soot. Adjustable flame. Even with no electricity, this will provide heat and place to cook.

This is the Harman wood/coal insert that we burn chestnut size coal in. Just shake the ash in the morning and evening when you top it off with coal and it stays nice and warm for cheap.

Oil tank set up

The three ton of coal we purchased for this year. Those are 50 lb bags stacked over 4' high.

Jeff

man it looks like youre ready for the appocalypse, how big is the place youre heating?

Our house isnt that big and were on the fence about updating our gas furnace/heater. its 29 yrs old and the service guy said keep it till it dies (which with my luck will be on the coldest day of the year on a sun night in feb.

Thing is the newer smart furnaces will save us a lot of our gas bills and will pay for itself in the long run, but we dont have the 7k plus to plunk down on one, so we may just deal with it his year and see about next year.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Thank you for the info. It's what I've heard from most that wotk in the industry.
Most don't want you to attend school, it teaches bad habits.

Could you possibly ask your daughter what book she studied from? I have 3 different ones that I can order online that are study manuals for the tech test.
Yep. She's at work right now but when she gets home I will!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote