Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I'm GenX, but seem a bit GenMe. I think work is simply a way to make money to actually enjoy life. I started this new gov't job earning 4 weeks vacation, along with 2 1/2 weeks of sick time each year. Granted, I had 7 years prior military service, which counted toward my ability to earn vacation time. What's sweet is that after 8 years, I'll start earning just over 5 weeks vacation time per year (when "regular" newbies have to work 15 years to get to that point).

Now, what sucks is that we do have use or lose. You can't carry more than 240 hours foward to the next year. So, anything above the 240 would be lost if you didn't burn it. I seriously doubt I will be taking 4 weeks vacation each year, along with the 2 1/2 weeks of sick time (simply because of all the federal holidays), so I'm sure I'll get into the use or lose situation by the end of my second year.

If you have 240 hours leave accrued at the end of the year, you can accrue another 208 (max available to earn in a year) and MUST take 5 weeks vacation during that year so you don't lose it all. I know old timers who simply take 5 weeks off each year starting with the last week of November because they don't burn vacay time at any other time during the year, but don't want to lose their time.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #22
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I get 3 weeks vacation, 2 weeks of Banked time, and a week of floaters per year, all paid, on top of a 25$/hour wage with tons of paid overtime (time and a half), and I still dont think thats enough! LOL!!!

Actually, after 10 months on compensation, I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO WORK!!!

(never thought i'd type that)

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ave_by_country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #24
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I get 3 weeks vacation, 2 weeks of Banked time, and a week of floaters per year, all paid, on top of a 25$/hour wage with tons of paid overtime (time and a half), and I still dont think thats enough! LOL!!!

Actually, after 10 months on compensation, I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO WORK!!!

(never thought i'd type that)
Youre still not working because of your leg?
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #25
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Nice link, and somehow, not surprising that the US doesn't have a minimum set for vacay. Also, they should state the 30 days of vacation per year for US military is 30 calendar days since they differentiate between calendar and work days in the list above. If there aren't any holidays in a month, then 22 work days is equal to 30 calendar days worth of leave. If you have a 3 day weekend and want to turn it into a 4 day weekend in the military, you have to burn 4 days of leave ( but usually only if you're going more than a certain number of hours away from base). Sure, there were guys who cheated the system, and there were some supervisors who knew but would turn a blind eye, but you get the point.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #26
zlicius
Kneedragger

Moto: Gladius

the kids i'm teaching (ok, learning to teach, but i'm in class w/ the teaching them for free) scare me. good gawd, talk about entitlement. why you gotta know a&p for nursing? you mean you had to LEARN and RETAIN that???

oh lord.

and the hoochie clothes they wear? and how they drive in the parking lot??

yes. i'm old.
zlicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #27
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Youre still not working because of your leg?
Scheduled to go back April 1st, but I have to see another plastic surgeon about it next week. The skin on my foot blisters, breaks, and bleeds when it gets sweaty and wet, with the friction. Its also horribly susceptible to hot and cold temps. Hard to work in a refinery, where its minimum 100C (even in the middle of winter) all the time.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #28
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlicius View Post

and the hoochie clothes they wear? and how they drive in the parking lot??
Why should any of that matter to you? How they dress and drive is not a factor in how well they can perform a job.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #29
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Scheduled to go back April 1st, but I have to see another plastic surgeon about it next week. The skin on my foot blisters, breaks, and bleeds when it gets sweaty and wet, with the friction. Its also horribly susceptible to hot and cold temps. Hard to work in a refinery, where its minimum 100C (even in the middle of winter) all the time.
Holy shit, 100C?! What in the world do you wear to protect your body and lungs in that kind of atmosphere?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #30
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Holy shit, 100C?! What in the world do you wear to protect your body and lungs in that kind of atmosphere?
In the part of the refinery I work in, I wear a forced induction, positive pressure racal, which is basicly a contained helmet that blows clean, cool air through your face all the time.

We have strict rules on how long we can be on the floor per hour, depending on the current temp.

In a twelve hour day, I may work three.