Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #21
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
for the interview: slacks, blouse (no exposed tatas) and comfy shoes (no high heels).

About the salary: offer him to start for x amount, and if you are able to do the job w/o help you want a raise to $xx in 3 month (needs to be in the contract of course). He'd be stupid if he does not go for it.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

I am always impressed when someone comes in really dressed nice, I don't see it hurting at all. Since this is the next step in the interview process are you meeting with the same woman again or will there be other higher level folks involved? It's one thing if "slacky" entry level supervisor is carefree but that upper level manager/executive might not be and may be impressed with the dressed up/formal attire.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The whole "we're pretty casual here" is just a setup to see if you're stupid enough to take it literally and come in looking like a slob.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Thanks everyone.

tached: this is a first interview with this particular company, so I'm not sure how high up in the pecking order this woman is. Either way, I'm not going to go as casual as she suggested. First impressions are first impressions, regardless what that woman says.

homeslice: entirely possible... In which case, just as well I'm ignoring what she said.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

What they said. Nice slacks, shoes and a blouse, without a jacket is more than casual and still dressy. You ARE in FL after all, things work a tad different. You should see what some of my former coworkers considered "professional", made me feel like an old prude as it looked like they were ready to hit the beach or the club, not work!

As for Salary, like already mentioned, talk yourself up, you ARE worth every penny, but at the same time, tactfully mention that due to the current state of the economy (or something) it is negotiable. That way they dont throw you right out for being overqualified for the job and think you are unreasonable...in a better market, stick to your guns, now, well, you know.

GOOD LUCK!!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #26
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

1] Just as everyone said, slacks and a nice blouse, though I would rock the heels. Some chicks wear heals with jeans, so I don't think that would be overly dressy... Then again, I'm style-retarded and you're dealing with a woman so all bets are off.

2] They could be setting you up for a lowball offer to start salary negotiations off low to save themselves money... or they really don't have the resources to pay your required salary. If they are considering two people, I'd say they are going to try to lowball you.

The contractual salary thing may get ugly. Florida is an at-will state, so technically they can axe you at any time, for pretty much any reason. Sign a contract that increases your salary in three months and they could technically bust your ass for three months, can you, then bring in someone for substantially less money to complete or maintain the project. That's some shrewd business, possibly a bit low on the ethics side of things, but it's entirely reasonable. However, if you could get them to guarantee you employment beyond that time period, in writing of course, then you'd have more stability... at least until the contract runs out. That said, they'd be fucking retarded to guarantee any sort of employment because despite your amazing work history, extensive professional acheivements, and phenominal interviewing skills... you still could be some raving maniac that openly masturbates in her cubicle and throws feces at coworkers every time someone prairie dogs over the cubicles.

Personally, I'd rather not deal with that BS. Go in there and tell them that you can do the work of two, aren't afraid of committing to the hours required to do so, and stick to your guns as far as your money is concerned. See what they are prepared to offer and recognize what you are prepared to accept... if it doesn't work, you're better off anyway. Now if I remember correctly, you're out of a job so you could always accept this one, get in there and keep looking... then bail if they can't meet your requirements and you find something more lucrative.

Last edited by OneSickPsycho; 09-17-2009 at 08:14 AM..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #27
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
The contractual salary thing may get ugly. Florida is an at-will state, so technically they can axe you at any time, for pretty much any reason. Sign a contract that increases your salary in three months and they could technically bust your ass for three months, can you, then bring in someone for substantially less money to complete or maintain the project.
AHHHHHH, most excellent point. I forgot about this whole at-will thing. Yeah, that tactic could backfire. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
... you still could be some raving maniac that openly masturbates in her cubicle and throws feces at coworkers every time someone prairie dogs over the cubicles.
Zach, you know me all too well...

Quote:
Go in there and tell them that you can do the work of two, aren't afraid of committing to the hours required to do so, and stick to your guns as far as your money is concerned. See what they are prepared to offer and recognize what you are prepared to accept... if it doesn't work, you're better off anyway.
That's the tactic I'm going with. Selling myself to them, and then being prepared to back it up. While salary is negotiable, I'm not willing to just accept ANY offer - can't let them smell desperation, or they'll take advantage of it.

Quote:
Now if I remember correctly, you're out of a job so you could always accept this one, get in there and keep looking... then bail if they can't meet your requirements and you find something more lucrative.
Yeah, I'm trying not to be the ship-jumper. I know everyone's telling me that "Oh, you could just take something, then keep looking, till something better comes along..." but I'm just not that disloyal (yeah, I know, there's NO loyalty where employers are concerned anymore). But if it comes down to it, I'll do what I've gotta do.

Last edited by neebelung; 09-17-2009 at 08:21 AM..
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote