Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post

When I was pregnant I wanted to get a t-shirt to wear to the gym that said, "I'm pregnant, what's your excuse?"
I see people get out at my gym all the time in Handicapped who then hop on the treadmill and smoke my ass. Shit they'll be wearing 5/10k shirts too. WTF kind of awesome handicap is that and how can I get it.

I respect handicap parking a lot. I don't believe the government should force businesses to make handicap parking or even wheelchair accesable ramps (though you'd be an idiotic business owner not to). But I won't even park my motorcycle near handicap parking unless it's a large spot and I'm just running to the ATM where I will never loose sight of my bike.

However when I see some 400+lb fat ass getting out at a handicap spot to hop on their fucking scooters to scoot around the store. I get pissed there. They should be forced to park in the back.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #22
canibeyou
I'm taller on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I see people get out at my gym all the time in Handicapped who then hop on the treadmill and smoke my ass. Shit they'll be wearing 5/10k shirts too. WTF kind of awesome handicap is that and how can I get it.

The kind where you fall off the top of a 5 story building (65 feet) breaking every bone in your body except facial bones. The kind where after you've broken your neck and back you have bone spurs more than an inch long growing off every vertebrae. The kind where you have a titanium hip in place of the one you pulvarized; the kind where you have no "pointy" bones in your elbows 'cuz you shattered both of them... and the list could go on.

At least that's the example I can give you based on my husband.

He goes to the gym regularly to try and keep his body working the best he can. And by looking at him, you'd have NO clue what he's been through. But if he didn't choose to stay mobile, he'd easily be in a wheelchair by now.

People can be classified handicap for having heart conditions. Doesn't mean they can't go to the gym and try and stay in shape. It just means that you may not notice they have a legitimate handicap just by looking at them but their heart may give out on them at any moment. They just chose not to sit on the couch waiting for that to happen.

I'd caution you not to assume anything about someone just because you don't see them limping around or missing a limb. Yes, some people misuse the handicap system and it makes it that much more fun for the legitimate folks who may not appear to others to be handicap.

Around here they have "Family parking", right next to the handicap spots. Not sure what that's really intended for but I parked there the other day when I was with my Mom and sister. We're family. Don't know what it's intended for and I really don't care, but thanks for the parking spot by the door! Guess 'cuz I put up with enough shit from my family I finally get a little sumthin' for it!

Last edited by canibeyou; 04-03-2009 at 11:59 PM..
canibeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #23
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post

People can be classified handicap for having heart conditions. Doesn't mean they can't go to the gym and try and stay in shape. It just means that you may not notice they have a legitimate handicap just by looking at them but their heart may give out on them at any moment. They just chose not to sit on the couch waiting for that to happen.
What does a heart condition have to do with walking an extra distance? I also have no problem with a handicapped person staying in shape. I'm glad to see people at the gym and I'll never ever make fun of someone at the gym (or atleast not for being fat or whatever). But I see people who probably have a legit handicapped tag using handicapped parking despite they have no handicap that prevents them from operating like a normal person.

I consider handicap parking for people who have difficulty walking or getting somewhere. They are made wide so someone who can't walk can get on a wheel chair and have room without hitting the car next to them. Someone who has to have a walker to walk would be a legitimate person. Same for someone on cruches (temp) and possibly a cane walker.

Someone who can hop on a treadmill and throw it on 7mph and run for 4miles is not handicapped to the point they need the close parking. I can't do that and would probably have to go to the hospital if I tried.

And it sure as hell should not be for some fatass.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #24
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
What does a heart condition have to do with walking an extra distance? I also have no problem with a handicapped person staying in shape. I'm glad to see people at the gym and I'll never ever make fun of someone at the gym (or atleast not for being fat or whatever). But I see people who probably have a legit handicapped tag using handicapped parking despite they have no handicap that prevents them from operating like a normal person.

I consider handicap parking for people who have difficulty walking or getting somewhere. They are made wide so someone who can't walk can get on a wheel chair and have room without hitting the car next to them. Someone who has to have a walker to walk would be a legitimate person. Same for someone on cruches (temp) and possibly a cane walker.

Someone who can hop on a treadmill and throw it on 7mph and run for 4miles is not handicapped to the point they need the close parking. I can't do that and would probably have to go to the hospital if I tried.

And it sure as hell should not be for some fatass.
My grandmother had a weak heart ( enlarged) and could not walk anything resembling a long distance. She was 5'2" and weighed 104 lbs. Any distance longer than a few hundred yards would tire her out and she'd have to rest.

She wouldn't get a HC placard as those were for the "people who really need them".
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
My grandmother had a weak heart ( enlarged) and could not walk anything resembling a long distance. She was 5'2" and weighed 104 lbs. Any distance longer than a few hundred yards would tire her out and she'd have to rest.

She wouldn't get a HC placard as those were for the "people who really need them".
But as Smittie was saying, she wouldn't be doing a good pace on the treadmill either.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

When we went out for lunch yesterday there was a SUV parked in the handicap spot right outside the door. It had the placard in the window and all, but they had run into the sign when they parked, enough that it was almsot at a 45 degree angle!

Buddy sees that and asks, "who runs into a handicap sign?"

My simple answer... "Handicap people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #27
canibeyou
I'm taller on Facebook

Wow... really sorry ya feel that way. Bet if we lived closer you'd be one of those that would give my husband an ugly look for parking in a space he rightfully deserves.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #28
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Wow... really sorry ya feel that way. Bet if we lived closer you'd be one of those that would give my husband an ugly look for parking in a space he rightfully deserves.
I used a HC placard for two months when I had ACL reconstructive surgery on my knee. 99.9% of the people were good and the other were dickheads who would give anyone a hard time. ( In PA, red cards are temporary and blue cards permanant ).

I was also more than happy not to use it after I regained strength and mobility.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote