Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I meant forums like car, bike, and other "male-dominated" hobby forums I've been on. Usually with these guys it's always about how great their custom-built PC is, how much money they saved (but probably spent more time)........But the biggest thing I notice is that they go on and on about how stupid someone would have to be to buy a Mac, and that Mac owners must have only bought it for the image, and that they are sheep, etc. etc.

In contrast, most Mac owners I know stick to themselves, and don't actively diss PC's unless they are attacked first.
Look back on the old forum and this one, to the threads in which someone was asking for help with a PC problem

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Mac elitism = Done by people who judge a person by what they wear
Linux elitism = Done by people who need a life
PC elitism = Rare but done by people who are tired of fad hoppers and geeks who haven't seen enough sunlight yapping about how great an operating system is.
PC elitism is more by gamers who will typically admit that Mac has a better OS but it doesn't have all of their games so therefore, PCs are still better.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
PC elitism is more by gamers who will typically admit that Mac has a better OS but it doesn't have all of their games so therefore, PCs are still better.
The Mac OS isn't better, it just has different strengths and no one attacking it. Every OS has it's pros and cons and judging by word/internet/sparse gaming/excel and whatever other minimal programs you use is not a true test of an OS.

An OS is also judged by it's applications and games would fall into that category. So that is a big knock against Mac for not having the games on it's side. I would rather play games on an easily upgradable PC anyway, as opposed to a pain in the ass to upgrade machine like a Mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #24
t-homo
WSB Champion

I'm actually considering building a PC this summer mostly for gaming, then keeping my Mac laptop for school use.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #25
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The Mac OS isn't better, it just has different strengths and no one attacking it. Every OS has it's pros and cons and judging by word/internet/sparse gaming/excel and whatever other minimal programs you use is not a true test of an OS.

An OS is also judged by it's applications and games would fall into that category. So that is a big knock against Mac for not having the games on it's side. I would rather play games on an easily upgradable PC anyway, as opposed to a pain in the ass to upgrade machine like a Mac.
Well, you can boot Macs into Windows if it's really that big of a deal. I don't really play that many games so it's not important to me. That and my whole industry uses Macs mean I buy and I like to use Macs. I don't particularly care what other people use but there is definitely no shortage of PC snobs out there who will shit on Macs every time the topic arises, like this thread.
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #26
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderex View Post
Well, you can boot Macs into Windows if it's really that big of a deal. I don't really play that many games so it's not important to me. That and my whole industry uses Macs mean I buy and I like to use Macs. I don't particularly care what other people use but there is definitely no shortage of PC snobs out there who will shit on Macs every time the topic arises, like this thread.
You can make Hackintosh's out of PCs. So what's your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #27
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

But Mac OS running on a Intel box is only recent, for decades they ran Motorola processors, and while PC were an open arch, Mac was closed.

If you had only very specific needs and a mac would fill them, they were really good for non-computer people, and had popularity for that. IMO they were easier to use, but enhancing it was harder, where pc were harder to use (sort of), but it was a lot easier to to do thing like write batch files, and automate tasks.

Now some of this has changed, the mac gui is on a variant of unix, I'd probably like that, but app selection still sucks, and everything is more expensive.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
But Mac OS running on a Intel box is only recent, for decades they ran Motorola processors, and while PC were an open arch, Mac was closed.

If you had only very specific needs and a mac would fill them, they were really good for non-computer people, and had popularity for that. IMO they were easier to use, but enhancing it was harder, where pc were harder to use (sort of), but it was a lot easier to to do thing like write batch files, and automate tasks.

Now some of this has changed, the mac gui is on a variant of unix, I'd probably like that, but app selection still sucks, and everything is more expensive.
Boot Camp is fine and dandy, great now that Apple is now platform agnostic to an extent...

Can someone give me one good reason why I should be all exited about paying for and managing 2 separate operating systems on one PC?
I not ridiculing or diminishing the needs of some to run both on one machine...but to be honest it is not something worth bragging about. Basically you are admitting that just one OS is insufficient to do everything you need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Boot Camp is fine and dandy, great now that Apple is now platform agnostic to an extent...

Can someone give me one good reason why I should be all exited about paying for and managing 2 separate operating systems on one PC?
I not ridiculing or diminishing the needs of some to run both on one machine...but to be honest it is not something worth bragging about. Basically you are admitting that just one OS is insufficient to do everything you need to do.
forward...backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #29
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

I'm not exactly sure what you said, But I think I quit using the copy of Linix I installed right after I got x-windows to work for the same reason 15 years ago.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You can make Hackintosh's out of PCs. So what's your point?
can they run OSX as well or as fast as Macs run Windows?

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-01-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote