Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #21
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Only if both women in question are 16.
not really my point but hey whatever floats your boat.. its only illegal if you get caught..

ok let me redo my example:

riding the street is like smoking crack in detroit
riding the track is like smoking crack in amsterdam

or shooting heroin or banging prostitutes..

does that clear it up?

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #22
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
not really my point but hey whatever floats your boat.. its only illegal if you get caught..

ok let me redo my example:

riding the street is like smoking crack in detroit
riding the track is like smoking crack in amsterdam

or shooting heroin or banging prostitutes..

does that clear it up?
crystal.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #23
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

i guess it depends on your point of view...

will i respect someone a bit more if they use most of their tire versus having a huge worn spot in the middle? (aka straightliners)

Survey saaayyys: Yes

Do i recognize that not having strips on my tires before ever doing a track day is dangerous and irresponsible?

Yet again: Yes

Do i think its all about body positioning and whether it sucks or not, no, cuz mine used to suck and I still had a respectable ride on my tires...

Am I still going to ride the way I ride? Yes. Do i ride the way I did before my track time, HELL NO, since now I recognize that going fast and riding hard on the street just isnt what its cracked up to be. I also know that you dont have to be pushing incredibly hard to scrub most of the tire, just a few good turns or an abandoned s/d. Am I ever going to booger my tires on the street? Thats funny, and the answer would be NO.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #24
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
If you have no Chicken strips, it basically means you are using every little bit of traction the tire can give you.
I get what CEO is saying, but I have to disagree with the above.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #25
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i have noticed that the longer i have been riding the harder i have to try to get rid of the strips, what pace used to roast them, now leaves edges

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
Rider
Moto GP Star

I need to wear down my knee sliders. I have new knee sliders that don't have a mark on them.. Looks like I will be busy this weekend...
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

need new ones myself, almost down to the cloth on one oops...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #28
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
If you have no Chicken strips, it basically means you are using every little bit of traction the tire can give you.

Basically on the street that means you have no out. You have no more useable traction coming through a corner, if a panic situation was to occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r!der View Post
I get what CEO is saying, but I have to disagree with the above.

Please explain. I'm curious to hear your reason.

My reason for saying that.....If you are taking a hard corner, and are using every bit of the side of that tire where else can you go?

If you come through a corner and a car is parked in the middle of the road for example. You can't straighten. You can't lean anymore since you're already on the absolute side you can use for traction. You're using your max lean angle. What are you going to do?

If you aren't on the total edge of that tire, you can press alittle more to try and get past the obsticle in the road. If you're at the limit of traction, all you're going to do it go down. See what i'm getting at?

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #29
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
i guess it depends on your point of view...

will i respect someone a bit more if they use most of their tire versus having a huge worn spot in the middle? (aka straightliners)

Survey saaayyys: Yes

Ok, so are you saying if you meet me, you will respect me less and think of me as a bad rider for having more of a flat spot in the center of my tire?

Granted, I have almost no "chicken strips" on the R1. But the center of my tire does wear alot faster then the rest of the tire. As a result, i'm getting a flat spot in my back tire. Guess what. The past several years i've been riding the same thing happens with every tire.

I ride my bike daily to work. Back and forth at least 4 or 5 days a week. On my commute to work every day, I have basically 4 turns in a 16 mile trip. I have the right out of my driveway, the right onto a major street, a right onto another major street and a left to get to my work.

So since most of my commute is a straight line, the center of my tire wears faster since I ride everyday and I ride a sportbike. I put more miles annually back and forth to work, then I do riding on the weekends. So of course the center will wear faster. So am I a bad rider in your opinion?

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #30
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Quote:
Please explain. I'm curious to hear your reason.
I get what you're saying. I wouldn't ride that hard on the street, shit, I don't even ride street anymore.

That's why I only quoted this part.
Quote:
Having no strips may mean you used the whole tire, but I don't think it automatically means you are at max lean or "using every little bit of traction". I'm no expert, still trying to learn myself. But here's my thought, when leaned over, there's a certain part of the tire making contact. The contact patch may start somewhere on the tire and end right at the edge of the tire. Does this mean you're at max lean? I'm thinking no, there's prob more lean, the contact patch is just getting smaller.
I noticed this just doing trackdays too. Yes, my body position sucked big time and I'm sure that had an impact on how the tires wore, I'm still working on it. But pretty early on I noticed I was getting to the "edge" of the tire. I've found more lean since, and I'm pretty sure there's more! Pretty sure body position changes things around as well. You got someone with decent form leaning far enough to wear the whole side around a turn, what would happen if the person were to hang off a little more around the same turn?

almost forgot...
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!!!