Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #21
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I give up next you'll try to explain how your leaky unbalanced lump of crap motors are more efficient cause they are made from lead or something.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
And yet you still don't know that you can input it into your own equation and get a HP rating for your beloved torque wrench.

So does your torque wrench measure in pound feet/second or pound feet/minute or don't you know?
Are you just going to measure the amount of degrees you turned the wrench, find out what percentile of 360 degrees you turned it and use a less than whole number for your rpm?

Let's say I'm putting down 35ft lbs. I turned my wrench 15 degrees. 15/360X100 gives you your percentage of a revolution. This gives us 4.1% of a rev or .041rpm.

(35x.041)/5252= Somethign like .0002hp. So, you could say you've done .0002hp of work while you were using your tq wrench. But, most people would know that you've used 35ft/lbs to tighten your bolt. Because, they can feel a 35lb weight. Most can't feel, .0002hp or even begin to tell you how hp works, or what it is.

Quote:
I give up next you'll try to explain how your leaky unbalanced lump of crap motors are more efficient cause they are made from lead or something.
Are you bashing my bike?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
I give up next you'll try to explain how your leaky unbalanced lump of crap motors
Motors are electric, idiot. My bike has an engine.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
So by your rational a pound is a more tangable unit of measure because its closer to the root than a foot pound/second.
No, my rational is this. Torque is the twisting force that turns your wheels. That is what you feel every single time you step on the accelerator. You never feel hp. Ever. All you feel is the torque being applied over a time period. Torque begins to drop off because the engine starts to lose efficiency. The air pump isn't working as it should, because it is beyond the point where it can effectively draw in air/fuel, while clearing the exhaust gases effectively.

That is where you get your horsepower. It is a measure of how efficiently your torque can be continued to be used.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Yes, you can get a horsepower rating on your torque wrench if you do the math, doesnt make it any more real.
So if your torque wrench isn't turning, is it still real?

This isn't psychology! Both numbers are real and have meaning. You just have to understand a little science. An IC engine CANNOT apply a useful force at 0 RPM- at a stall.

Torque is a measure of force applied at a distance.
C'mon, you can apply all the force you want to something, if it won't move it doesn't much matter- you're not doing any work. If you have 200 ft-lbs of torque available, and the chain holding the bike back is rated at 20,000 lbs you aren't doing shit or going anywhere.

Horsepower is a measure of work done (or energy expended) over time. Same as a Watt or BTU. You don't argue that your engine is working, or the heat coming off your hot water heater is imaginary, do you? You could easily convert that BTU or Wattage number into HP. Your engine does work to move your ass, and the water heater does work to heat water (changing the amount of thermal energy).
Old 11-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
So if your torque wrench isn't turning, is it still real?

This isn't psychology! Both numbers are real and have meaning. You just have to understand a little science. An IC engine CANNOT apply a useful force at 0 RPM- at a stall.

Torque is a measure of force applied at a distance.
C'mon, you can apply all the force you want to something, if it won't move it doesn't much matter- you're not doing any work. If you have 200 ft-lbs of torque available, and the chain holding the bike back is rated at 20,000 lbs you aren't doing shit or going anywhere.

Horsepower is a measure of work done (or energy expended) over time. Same as a Watt or BTU. You don't argue that your engine is working, or the heat coming off your hot water heater is imaginary, do you? You could easily convert that BTU or Wattage number into HP. Your engine does work to move your ass, and the water heater does work to heat water (changing the amount of thermal energy).
Fact or no? A dyno measures torque, and calculates hp.

I'm not saying hp doesn't "exist". You just don't feel it like you do torque. Much like latent heat can't be felt, but it is there.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #27
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Actually it measures force over distance which we humans express as torque it can just a easly be expressed as HP.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
Like most people, I want it all. My new bike should satisfy both requirements. Enough torque to pull hard and enough HP to keep going when the torque curve starts dropping off.
Your torque curve drops off? Sucks to be you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #29
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I truth a dyno measure electrical energy produced when a large drum is spun with a load. So I guess it measures watts.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #30
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
I truth a dyno measure electrical energy produced when a large drum is spun with a load. So I guess it measures watts.

Watts are a measure of work. They are a function of amps, ohms and volts.

So, if you're drum is measuring the electrical resistance to get it up to speed, then watts would be a function of ohms and rpm, wouldn't they?