Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #211
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

He wanted a certain color, so the stealership found it in Nashville Tn (5 hrs away). he applied for a loan and was approved, then put $1000 down. They are going to have it here on friday. I have dealt with this dealer before, very pushy, very buy a big (expensive) bike to grow into... Also I have a 95 RF600, I told him I would teach him on it. He just wants the Busa... This kid comes from a poor family, so this bike is the first new ride anyone in his family has had. He gets real defensive when I bring up the idea of a old used bike
rider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #212
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

show him that French ad of the dude in the wheel chair...

he shouldn't buy his first bike like it's going to be his LAST.. or it will be.

I understand the $$ aspect... and the fact that he can't afford to purchase a new bike in a couple years when he "out grows" the 600 or whatever... but the busa will alwyas be there.

we actually had a commander give an airman a standing order that he wouldn't allow him to ride on or off base unless he accomplished the MSF course and had 2 years riding experience on a bike under 700cc. all because he wouldn't listen to anyone and went an bought a 2005 busa... (brand new at the time)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #213
rider76
Canyon Carver

I hope we can talk some sense into him. I am "friends " with an LTC , I phoned him and he said he will get the guys 1000 back if he wants to back out of the deal. This guy has stroke with the civilian communities surrounding the base, so he claims to be able to get this airmen's money back... talk is cheap tho.. we will see
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #214
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well hopefully you can help him out...

I'm always torn about interviening in someones life choice like this... cause really... it's their life... they should have the choice of how to live it... but I know how I was at that age... and how I "knew myself" so no one could tell me shit.... if I'd only listened.

I still am that way to a point... but now I take peoples advice to help me with my decision... still sometime catch myself going with pure heart.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #215
rider76
Canyon Carver

I hear what u are sayin; I will talk to him and try to change his mind, but if he still wants the bike, I will not stand in the way. I will however not teach him to ride it, I will have no part of that process. After he learns to ride and can do it safely I will go on rides with him.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #216
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

ahh I'd still help him out... at least show him how to ride... get him comfortable... but make sure he realizes that he's not walking an easy path... or an inexpensive one
Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #217
rider76
Canyon Carver

I tryed to tell him the cost payment, insurance, repairs and all the gear he has to buy. he seems cool with gear, says he will wear it....... I dont know...I have to keep reminding myself he only 20, cant even legally drink.....
Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #218
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

yeah young, dumb, and stupid...

help him out as much as ya can... let him make the mistakes... but try to get through to him first...
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #219
rider76
Canyon Carver

I remember being 20, so I think I will take the money angle. he is only a A1C so I will try to sell him on a smaller, more affordable bike
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #220
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

fuck... I swear... all these damn airmen buying expensive ass vehicles! we had two at elmendorf that were driving 40K+ brand new vehicles...one was an Esclade... the other was a benz. I can't afford that shit NOW.. as a E-5 with almost no bills!