Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #191
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Well Eric Buell was a former Harley Davidson engineer so that may have something to do with Buell using Harley engines. This and the fact that Buell and HD entered into an agreement/partnership with HD having right at half of the controlling ownership.
As an engineer, if he decided to start his own company, he might have to prove his ideas and designs weren't made using company resources. That entitles HD to ownership of his designs. So he may not have had a choice, but to give HD choice of if they wanted to use those designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #192
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Actually, I thought that it was because all the other companies had laughed in his face and I don't mean this in a bad way. I'm pretty sure that he approached other companies with his ideas.
Dayum !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
As an engineer, if he decided to start his own company, he might have to prove his ideas and designs weren't made using company resources. That entitles HD to ownership of his designs. So he may not have had a choice, but to give HD choice of if they wanted to use those designs.
That's a possibility and makes good sense.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #193
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
What the fuck does a WSBK spec bike have to do with anything? It's racing in Superbike.

Do you realize that the AMA is going to adopt FIM WSBK rules?

Maybe you're pissed the yamaha is now competing with the suzuki?

And again, all of the sanctioning bodies in racing recognize that a twin can not make the same hp as a I4 of the samesize.

Lastly, I like how twins run, if you want buy an I4, I don't care, but don't whine that everybike made isn't an I4, not everyone wants one.
I was joking with Trip about the Ducati being a WSBK bike/1200 cc... you didn't get it?

Cool, now maybe they'll start using Pirelli tires as well. Either that or Buells will be racing in WSS...

Naw, I welcome competition! The races were getting boring with Suzuki winning all of them, for the past DECADE btw. As a race fan, I enjoy tight racing but Hayes even admitted that Mat had a bad race or two. Subsequent races have proven that Mat and the GSXR1000 are the bike to beat... I think that BB was over 20 secs back. Not my idea of "competitive".

Yay, all of the sanctioning bodies have realized that V-Twins suck!!! j/k The same was said about I4s, 2-strokes, then 4 strokes, etc. The teams/ factories believed that they had a "better way" and worked hard to make their type of machine stronger. Finally, after years of hard work and innovation, they were able to compete. If you have an overweight son that can't make the high school football team. You don't force the jr high school team to let him play. Then brag about "all the ass he is kicking!" You train him. You put him on a diet. You fix whatever it is about him that is causing him to be non-competitive. At one time I4 engines struggled against twins. Now my bike producing as much torque and way more hp than any same sized twin. The engineers found a way to produce torque lower in the rev range, so now my bike pulls off idle.

A V-twin is possibly the best street bike engine EVER produced. Okay fine but why race them then? You consistently say that "the Buell is a street bike", why insist on racing it? It's like bringing a mule to the Kentucky Derby and expecting the thoroughbred horses to carry two riders each to "make it fair" because "a mule isn't a race horse".

When did I "whine"? I don't care about what type of bikes other guys ride. BTW all of the Japanese manufacturers used to produce a V-twin sport bike but now they don't...hmmm. I wonder why? You know, I think that I'm looking at this the wrong way. This racing series is proving exactly what I and many others believe. That the I4 is the best engine configuration period! Think about it, the v-twin guys had to bring an almost double cc bike to the party and they are still getting their asses handed to them.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #194
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
FYI, Tigger, the 1125 doesn't use the swingarm as an oil tank.
Yea I know, I was talking about the "innovations" that Erik brought to the motorcycle scene.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #195
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
I was joking with Trip about the Ducati being a WSBK bike/1200 cc... you didn't get it?

Cool, now maybe they'll start using Pirelli tires as well. Either that or Buells will be racing in WSS...

Naw, I welcome competition! The races were getting boring with Suzuki winning all of them, for the past DECADE btw. As a race fan, I enjoy tight racing but Hayes even admitted that Mat had a bad race or two. Subsequent races have proven that Mat and the GSXR1000 are the bike to beat... I think that BB was over 20 secs back. Not my idea of "competitive".

Yay, all of the sanctioning bodies have realized that V-Twins suck!!! j/k The same was said about I4s, 2-strokes, then 4 strokes, etc. The teams/ factories believed that they had a "better way" and worked hard to make their type of machine stronger. Finally, after years of hard work and innovation, they were able to compete. If you have an overweight son that can't make the high school football team. You don't force the jr high school team to let him play. Then brag about "all the ass he is kicking!" You train him. You put him on a diet. You fix whatever it is about him that is causing him to be non-competitive. At one time I4 engines struggled against twins. Now my bike producing as much torque and way more hp than any same sized twin. The engineers found a way to produce torque lower in the rev range, so now my bike pulls off idle.

A V-twin is possibly the best street bike engine EVER produced. Okay fine but why race them then? You consistently say that "the Buell is a street bike", why insist on racing it? It's like bringing a mule to the Kentucky Derby and expecting the thoroughbred horses to carry two riders each to "make it fair" because "a mule isn't a race horse".

When did I "whine"? I don't care about what type of bikes other guys ride. BTW all of the Japanese manufacturers used to produce a V-twin sport bike but now they don't...hmmm. I wonder why? You know, I think that I'm looking at this the wrong way. This racing series is proving exactly what I and many others believe. That the I4 is the best engine configuration period! Think about it, the v-twin guys had to bring an almost double cc bike to the party and they are still getting their asses handed to them.

I'm just going to reply from now on so you don't get the last word.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #196
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I'm just going to reply from now on so you don't get the last word.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #197
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Belt drive is better on the street, putting weight under the bike is better than hanging it off the back, gas in the frame, and oil in the swing arm are pretty good ideas as well.

You're the one who's whine about it competing in a class of bike that have about the same hp.
I understand that they say that chain drive is easier to make gear changes with... which I don't get considering that I don't see why it's any harder to change pulleys than sprockets? Why not race the belt drive if it's so great?

I hear what you are saying about the exhaust weight, etc. That's not new. I have no idea why they don't all do it.

As far as oil in the swing arm and gas in the frame, well he's already given up on one...

Okay, they do not have the same hp stock. Whether or not the 600 teams can come up with a way to produce that much hp/tq and keep their bikes in one piece will be a testament to THEIR ingenuity and hard work, not a validation of the "fairness" of the rules in the first place. Quite frankly, all this little exercise is going to accomplish is to spotlight how inferior the Buell is when it gets beaten by a bunch of 600s. What's Erik going to do? Have a press conference at the end of the season and say," Well my bike was never intended to be a race bike"...

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-09-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #198
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
If I did I apologize, as I don't care what it looks like, nor whether you like it or not.
Thankyou! I may have been unclear when I said that, "they need a new designer". Perhaps, you took it to mean an "engine" designer. Although.... Hey, there you go. Didn't HD make a play for Aprillia or MV or something? I wonder if it would help if they threw a Ducati motor in that chassis? Seriously, is it still a case of the engine holding them back? Hmmm...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #199
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
A triple or V4 is possibly the best street bike engine EVER produced.
Fixed.

More low-end than an I-4, along with cooler sound.

Also, less vibration than a twin under full throttle, and doesn't feel like it's going to stall out or break its connecting rods if you lug it.

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-09-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #200
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Why not race the belt drive if it's so great?
:
Because it isn't. I'm quite sure it weighs more than a good 520 chain, and sucks up more power.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote