Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Hey Tommy, can you train a snake to be a pet though? Domesticate it like a dog? Some dogs have the capability to kill people for food, but you never hear of family pets killing for food like this python did. If they attack it's not for food.
yes and no. Certain species of snakes are more or less agressive by nature. Burmeese pythons as a whole have a very good temperament esp for alarge snake, whereas the other giant constrictors are rather nasty as a whle. Also it depends on how it was raised. If its handled a lot and is around people from a hatchling they will be prety good.

Dogs I think through breeding have lost some of that wildness so are much less likley to do something like that. Snakes are much simpler creatures in that they kill and eat and not much else, they have some of the smallest brains of all the vertabrates. You can blunt the feeding response if they only eat prekilled food though, yet my largest carpet python is about 6 yrs old has never eaten a live animal but still has a strong feeding response.

theres not a lot of detail in the story but when a snake is threatened it will usualy strike and let go. If it strikes and wraps around you its because it wants to eat you or feels realy threatened and I cant see a sleeping 2 yr old as agreat threat to a 12 ft python, so I think the snalke was hungry saw a potential meal and went for it.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This sounds like a good idea, do this and put it on youtube.

no pets > dogs > snakes > cats
Uhhh no. However I did have a reticulated python that killed and ate a yorkie terrier many moons ago. Told my sisters friend(the owner fo the dog) that it must have run out the back door, then helped them go look for it.

tom
Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

The girls parents are emotionally fucked for the rest of their lives and the one that found her should be on watch.

When they saw it...they shat bricks.

In related news, PETA has released a statement condemning the stabbing of the creature and 10 protestors gathered outside the home of the deceased toddler with signs stating "free the snake".

In more related news, a local man whipped out his penis and pissed on the PETA protestors. when questioned by the police he replied "they all had sign that told me to do it and with all the screaming and all"

In related related news
"I want my baby back baby back baby back ribs i want my baby back baby back...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The girls parents are emotionally fucked for the rest of their lives and the one that found her should be on watch.

When they saw it...they shat bricks.

In related news, PETA has released a statement condemning the stabbing of the creature and 10 protestors gathered outside the home of the deceased toddler with signs stating "free the snake".

In more related news, a local man whipped out his penis and pissed on the PETA protestors. when questioned by the police he replied "they all had sign that told me to do it and with all the screaming and all"

In related related news

I think PETA only protests for the cute cuddly animals they dont care about the evil snakes and other reptiles.

Tom
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Uhhh no. However I did have a reticulated python that killed and ate a yorkie terrier many moons ago. Told my sisters friend(the owner fo the dog) that it must have run out the back door, then helped them go look for it.

tom
BOO!

Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
BOO!

Awesome!
I know I know I am one of those annoying people who like cats

I think there are some youtube vids of snakes eating pets though.

Tom
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Well....I think Tommy kind of covered it. Snakes cannot be "trained", you can "blunt" their natural tendencies through time and repetition, like my Betta swimming to the top of the bowl when I approach to be fed. I personally am surprised that the snake a) took the trouble to break out of it's enclosure and b) that it hunted down and attacked the little girl in her bed. I'm guessing that the animal was VERY hungry. Snakes don't get "bored" or "curious" and only leave their immediate area to feed or breed, I believe.

Quite frankly, a two year old little girl would be kinda large for a 12' python meal to regard as prey IMHO. Don't you agree Tom? I had a Boa (almost 20') for years and I understand that pythons are much thicker per foot but that seems unusual to me.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well....I think Tommy kind of covered it. Snakes cannot be "trained", you can "blunt" their natural tendencies through time and repetition, like my Betta swimming to the top of the bowl when I approach to be fed. I personally am surprised that the snake a) took the trouble to break out of it's enclosure and b) that it hunted down and attacked the little girl in her bed. I'm guessing that the animal was VERY hungry. Snakes don't get "bored" or "curious" and only leave their immediate area to feed or breed, I believe.

Quite frankly, a two year old little girl would be kinda large for a 12' python meal to regard as prey IMHO. Don't you agree Tom? I had a Boa (almost 20') for years and I understand that pythons are much thicker per foot but that seems unusual to me.

its a bit on the large side for a snake that size but I think it may be possible to swallow the kid, burms and retics have larger heads for their body size compared to boas and other pythons because they will eat some ridiculously huge meals, they are also known for biting off more than they chew so to speak in that they will kill something they may not be able to swallow or do swallow it and it comes back up a day or so later. Snakes as a whole are primarily ambush hunters and usualy will wait for food to come by, but will go out hunting as well. They are also notorious escape artists to boot so its important ot have a secure enclosure and one strong enough to house them.

Tom
Old 07-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I had a Boa (almost 20') for years and I understand that pythons are much thicker per foot but that seems unusual to me.
dude, that would be a world record by a long shot! that is more than double the size of a normal female...an average size Boa is between 7-9' long

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #20
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
In related related news
Hell.

It's where you're going as soon as I get done building this hand-basket.

What are you, about 5'9"?

JC