Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
So is it a hassle to own something with a salvaged title? I know that depends per state.
I bought an old FZR600 several years ago with a salvage title. I didn't have any problems getting a plate for it. don't know what the guy that got the salvage title had to do. that was in Missouri.

some people won't pay as much for a salvage title. I wouldn't either if it was frame or something major but if it actually was cosmetic damage. no problems.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yeh very easily. A full set of plastics from a dealership over 1k, add in all the fasteners, a side case, gasket, clipon, mirror, windscreen, turnsignals, brake, add up all these small things and you can easily get close to the magical threshold that insurance companies determine is unworth it for a bike to be repaired.

It also depends on how it went down, if it was backed into by a car then pushed a few feet damage could be huge, a small drop could be just the plastics.

I couldnt tell how hard it is to have a salvage title, but in NJ it needs to be inspected after sale at a special inspection station down near Atlantic city to see if it is road worthy.

Last edited by derf; 06-25-2009 at 11:40 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Does the bike stay "salvaged" or does it get wiped clean when/if you can get it registered?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Does the bike stay "salvaged" or does it get wiped clean when/if you can get it registered?
My bike has a salvage title. The only way I could change that is by buying a frame with a clean title. BTW my bike was totalled because of broken plastic and a scratched fork. To be honest, to buy a salvage bike with the thought of resale is foolish. I would only buy a salvage title bike if it was a smoking good deal, you've inspected it completely and you plan on keeping it to ride it until it dies!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-25-2009 at 11:53 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
My bike has a salvage title. The only way I could change that is by buying a frame with a clean title. BTW my bike was totalled because of broken plastic and a scratched fork.

So does it have to go through a special inspection every year or something? Thats what I dont understand. If its street legal why does it keep a salvage title?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
So does it have to go through a special inspection every year or something? Thats what I dont understand. If its street legal why does it keep a salvage title?
It had to be inspected to be registered. I guess that it's to keep someone from selling a bike that was totalled to some chump for regular used retail. I think that it's just to force a seller to disclose that the vehicle was previously salvaged.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #17
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
supposedly you can run them through Arkansas and get a clean title.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
zed
yellow don't corner well

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Yeh very easily. A full set of plastics from a dealership over 1k, add in all the fasteners, a side case, gasket, clipon, mirror, windscreen, turnsignals, brake, add up all these small things and you can easily get close to the magical threshold that insurance companies determine is unworth it for a bike to be repaired.

It also depends on how it went down, if it was backed into by a car then pushed a few feet damage could be huge, a small drop could be just the plastics.

I couldnt tell how hard it is to have a salvage title, but in NJ it needs to be inspected after sale at a special inspection station down near Atlantic city to see if it is road worthy.
most upper fairings are at least $500 (talking OEM retail) and if you are looking at like the newer 1K bikes with those fucking interlocking smaller pieces you are still looking at just as much or more by the time you get all the smaller parts. I was surprised when I looked up the first one.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #19
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

around here you cant register a salvage title, you can get a reconstructed title and then register. it's a pain in the ass
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

Can you ride "salvage bike" down to inspection?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote