Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I've done 4 of my own now, and contracted/supervised many thousand sq-ft in industrial applications.

Prep work is KEY, especially if it's a slick-finish floor and/or there's existing oil contamination. Degreasing/etching as needed & pressure washing is pretty much mandatory for good adhesion - & then plenty of time/ventilation to make sure it's thorougly dry (torpedo heater will help dry much faster). And very important - don't waste time/money on the 'big box' store epoxy kits (much less any floor 'paints'). Good Sherwin Williams ArmorSeal epoxy can be bought in the retail stores (they have modified their products/names some, but epoxy flooring is still one of their primary products) for ~$160 per 2-gallon mix, and that will coat 3~400 sq-ft heavily. One other tip - stay fairly dark (think battleship-gray) if you want it to stay looking decent. Lighter helps reflect overhead light & make the area brighter, but it scuffs/marks much easier & doesn't look as good in the long run. Do it right & with quality epoxy, and it's an outstanding improvement to a work area - done wrong, with crap material & it can end up worse than plain concrete.

Feel free to shoot me a pm and/or get my # if you could use any more advice/discussion & I'll be glad to help.

The prepwork is the great unknown righ tnow, I need to be able to get in there with her car and all the other crap out and see what kind of shape the floor is in. Where her car is she has a rug or something under it so I am hoping that there isnt much as far as oil stains and that sort of thing.

I was planning to go with a dark gray epoxy, and will need better lighting in there anyway but thats a little further down the road.

tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

We used the Behr garage floor coating with sand mixed in on the garage floor in our house back in FL. While it looked good and was pretty tough, it wasn't easy to keep clean. It was especially hard to clean up any spilled moto fluids. When we bought the house up here my wife wanted to put it on this garage floor and I said no. She still brings it up now and then and I still say no. In hindsight, I personally don't find it worth the time and effort, considering all of the other items on my to-do list.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
We used the Behr garage floor coating with sand mixed in on the garage floor in our house back in FL. While it looked good and was pretty tough, it wasn't easy to keep clean. It was especially hard to clean up any spilled moto fluids. When we bought the house up here my wife wanted to put it on this garage floor and I said no. She still brings it up now and then and I still say no. In hindsight, I personally don't find it worth the time and effort, considering all of the other items on my to-do list.
I believe with the epoxys its easier cleaning up spills and I am good at spilling stuff

Tom
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
...and I am good at spilling stuff

Tom
You and I both. LOL You should have seen the amount of shop towels I had draped over my bike this weekend when I was bleeding the brakes. Becuase I KNEW I would eventually spill some of that shit....which I did. Never fails.

Oh, and the Behr stuff is epoxy acrylic. Still was a PITA.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
You and I both. LOL You should have seen the amount of shop towels I had draped over my bike this weekend when I was bleeding the brakes. Becuase I KNEW I would eventually spill some of that shit....which I did. Never fails.

Oh, and the Behr stuff is epoxy acrylic. Still was a PITA.
Oil changes on the priller are always good for a few drops making it to the floor despite my best efforts to keep it covered.

I am going to troll around that grage messageboard to see what other info I can get from there for both long and short term issues with it.

Tom
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Rider
Moto GP Star

My buddy has some on his garage floor. He wishes he hadn't put it down. It gets super slick when it gets wet from rain or melting snow that drips off the car.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I may go the epoxy route one day. I got lazy and when this route. Works for me for now.

Before...

After some paint and this flooring... http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I like the looks of Z06boy's garage!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

one of the guys down here did his research and chose to go w/ VCT, looks nice, not sure how it'll hold up in teh north. i haven't decided myself yet. thinking epoxy.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

rhino bedliner ftw
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote