Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

In Canada she would be considered covered since he had given her verbal consent to drive the vehicle.

I double checked this when a boyfriend was visiting and could potentially be driving my car.

Not sure in the states.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
In Canada she would be considered covered since he had given her verbal consent to drive the vehicle.

I double checked this when a boyfriend was visiting and could potentially be driving my car.

Not sure in the states.
He didn't live with you, so it wasn't an issue. Family are a different story.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

A deer collision is considered "comprehensive" trust me I know... and as such may not be covered under several conditions depending on the policy. If she had gotten in an accident with another vehicle, things may have been different. Besides, it was a girlfriend's daughter which makes it NOT a family member people... There also may be details your co-worker may not be telling you. If she was at fault for some reason, as in inebriated or driving recklessly the ins co could cry foul... if it were me btw I'd be on the phone working my way up that ins co's corporate ladder. I would also call the gf's ins if the daughter is on it, fuck the relationship we're talking thousands of dollars here!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 06-03-2009 at 02:29 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
He didn't live with you, so it wasn't an issue. Family are a different story.

gf's daughter=not family
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
gf's daughter=not family
Resident of the same home and potential vehicle user, common law relationship, etc. all count as essentially the same in the eyes of most insurers. They are all people who could reasonably be expected to be occasional users of a vehicle and must be declared on a policy.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
gf's daughter=not family
The issue is residence, not blood.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Resident of the same home and potential vehicle user, common law relationship, etc. all count as essentially the same in the eyes of most insurers. They are all people who could reasonably be expected to be occasional users of a vehicle and must be declared on a policy.
Unless they have their own insurance... if the mother/gf has ins then the daughter falls under her policy regardless of living arrangements... although I will concede that ins co's will try anything to get out of paying a claim. Like I said, there is no way I would just let this go with one no!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Insurance question. If you have links or other sources for your answers, please include them. I wasn't sure how to word this for a Google search myself...

The 17 year-old daughter of a coworker's girlfriend struck (or was struck by) a deer while driving his Infiniti this past weekend. She was not listed as a driver on his insurance policy; he had simply let her borrow the car for a night. The collision caused significant damage; I haven't seen the car since the wreck, but my coworker is under the impression it might be totalled.

Even though his insurance policy includes comprehensive and collision coverage (not sure which one covers hitting animals), his carrier is denying him coverage for this accident because the girl is not listed as a driver on his policy.

The car is registered in Georgia, but the accident occurred in Tennessee. Can his insurance provider legally deny him coverage for this wreck? If so, it sets the precedent that it is never safe to loan your vehicles to friends or family, which, obviously, people do all the time.

I've been in wrecks in cars that weren't mine and never had any such problem (albeit, this was in Michigan, which may be the reason why).

Thoughts?
This is a very true statement and I NEVER loan my cars out to anyone. It's reasons like this is why I never loan my car out. You can't trust ANYONE.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
The issue is residence, not blood.
True, unless they have their own insurance... I had a roommate and Allstate tried to put him on my insurance. I had to prove that he had his own and exclude him from coverage on my vehicle. I understand what you all are saying but I think that we actually need more information (like residency) before we can come to any concrete conclusions.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

The daughter would fall under the mother's policy *IF* she was declared on it. I don't know about coverage of a third-party vehicle down there. Y'all have too many laws, State to State.