Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I gota agree, being a good parent is about teaching your children right/wrong, respect for others and common courtesy among many other things. If you can't or aren't willing to do that then you ARE a bad parent. Kids will be kids and we all miss behaved but I only got told once and I knew i better stop. Parents today seem to just ignore their kids running around screaming with no concept of how it affects others around them and that's selfish and irresponsible to me.

I'm the first person to tell a parent how well behaved their children are when I can. It's nice to see for a change.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I understand what yall are saying, but just because a kid misbehaves doesn't make the parents bad parents. Granted, it's a good indicator. Like I said, me and my oldest brother were the type who never figured out to behave in the first place. I'm sure there were times we were misbehaving and my mom simply didn't have the means or the energy to beat us into perfect child mode that everyone else in this thread were automatically in after one beating in their life.

If you are around a child regularly and they regularly misbehave, then yes you might think poorly of the parent. But if you think that for a 45 minute meal at a restaurant shows you everything you need to know about a parent to call them bad parents, then I think that you need to get off your high horse.

(all that said I hate going to restaurants or movies with loud, annoying kids around. )
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I understand what yall are saying, but just because a kid misbehaves doesn't make the parents bad parents. Granted, it's a good indicator. Like I said, me and my oldest brother were the type who never figured out to behave in the first place. I'm sure there were times we were misbehaving and my mom simply didn't have the means or the energy to beat us into perfect child mode that everyone else in this thread were automatically in after one beating in their life.

If you are around a child regularly and they regularly misbehave, then yes you might think poorly of the parent. But if you think that for a 45 minute meal at a restaurant shows you everything you need to know about a parent to call them bad parents, then I think that you need to get off your high horse.

(all that said I hate going to restaurants or movies with loud, annoying kids around. )
If parents let their children run around a public place continually, then they shouldn't have brought them or should leave. I don' eat out very often, but when I do, the last thing I want to hear is screaming children that needed naps 2 hours ago.

It's a PUBLIC place, not their living room. My child was a complete butthead at home, but out in public he was great. I only took him to places when he could handle it, was rested and fed. I didn't take him to movies when he was 5, he had a ten min. attention span like most other kids his age.

Kids can't be taken everywhere like some kind of appendage.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I hate when kids talk through a movie.

Child-rearing, and acceptable public behaviour is quite a bit different than it is in Canada. I went to see Harry Potter at the theatre and I almost got up and left because children talked through the entire movie. The entire theatre was talking basically. So damn frustrating!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

[QUOTE=HurricaneHeather;218822] I'm sure there were times we were misbehaving and my mom simply didn't have the means or the energy to beat us into perfect child mode that everyone else in this thread were automatically in after one beating in their life.
[QUOTE]

I think I just remember the beatings better than the misbehaving!

Actually, I wasn't a particularly misbehaved child in general. I'm not saying my parents were great or anything, but discipline was their forte. I think I was just kind of mellow when it came to acting out. I saved the drama for home.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
If parents let their children run around a public place continually, then they shouldn't have brought them or should leave. I don' eat out very often, but when I do, the last thing I want to hear is screaming children that needed naps 2 hours ago.

It's a PUBLIC place, not their living room. My child was a complete butthead at home, but out in public he was great. I only took him to places when he could handle it, was rested and fed. I didn't take him to movies when he was 5, he had a ten min. attention span like most other kids his age.

Kids can't be taken everywhere like some kind of appendage.
So not my point.

As a NON parent, I do not automatically assume that someone is a bad parent because their kids are unruly. I find it ridiculously annoying just like everyone else, but I do not take it upon my self to judge people when I have no idea where they are coming from.

If you are a parent, by all means, judge away. But to those of us without kids, we have no grounds to call them bad parents when we don't know if we were in the same situation whether or not we'd be the perfect parent with the perfect children that get complimented at the restaurant.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Heather is having good parnting practice this past weekend by watching my daughters. Y'all know my stance on spanking, so I won't go back into that. But, I do believe in well behaved children. Whining children make me insane enough to say something.... Don't even get me started about parents that expect everyone else to watch their children while on public, this past weekend was rediculous with that....damn ill behaved monsters climbing on bikes should be a crime.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
So not my point.

As a NON parent, I do not automatically assume that someone is a bad parent because their kids are unruly. I find it ridiculously annoying just like everyone else, but I do not take it upon my self to judge people when I have no idea where they are coming from.

If you are a parent, by all means, judge away. But to those of us without kids, we have no grounds to call them bad parents when we don't know if we were in the same situation whether or not we'd be the perfect parent with the perfect children that get complimented at the restaurant.
Most parents aren't bad, they just take their children to places they aren't mature enough to handle. They drag a 5 year old around all day shopping or whatever, then wonder why they come unglued at 8pm at the restaurant.

Most children act out not cause they're rotten, but they've been over stimulated, deprived of sleep, or just want to go home. They're just kids, they can only handle so much. I'm 45 and enjoy naps on the weekends.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Heather is having good parnting practice this past weekend by watching my daughters. Y'all know my stance on spanking, so I won't go back into that. But, I do believe in well behaved children. Whining children make me insane enough to say something.... Don't even get me started about parents that expect everyone else to watch their children while on public, this past weekend was rediculous with that....damn ill behaved monsters climbing on bikes should be a crime.
Yeah, if I do have kids, I am going to be taking lessons from you. Those kids are just fantastic. I'm really not exaggerating.

I did have to ground Sandra last night for bringing Lexie home late.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Yeah, if I do have kids, I am going to be taking lessons from you. Those kids are just fantastic. I'm really not exaggerating.

I did have to ground Sandra last night for bringing Lexie home late.

I bet she says no and means it.