Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I used to think spandex was ghey too.......Until you do a long ride in board shorts and can barely walk afterwards
My shorts have never been bored.

JC
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I don't know how serious of a rider you are. I mainly road bike for a duathlon or triathlon. My bike is a road bike and not a tri-bike which sucks but I don't have $2,000-8000 for a good tri-bike. Even when I don't ride in a race I usually run on the treadmill at my gym and then ride my bicycle or run on foot and then bicycle.

I have a Trek something, Discovery edition. It's about a $900 bike new but I got it for $400 in great shape used. My only problem with it is I hate trying to figure out the gearing. If you don't have the sprockets in perfect order they want to skip like crazy. But I might replace the Shimano with some nice Sram which helps a lot.

Here is a pic of my bike...

Oh yeah. I went for another mountain bike ride after doing my triathlon. Holy shit was I 10x stronger when I rode. I had no leg fatigue at all.

Which here is a vid of my mountain bike ride. I wasn't as fast on the downhill because I hadn't rode in a month from breaking my rear derailer and months before that. Once I ride some more I can knock those hills out super fast...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMPQ0Acjn0
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
check profile, foo
Yeah that's why I asked. U like it better than socal? Gettin sick of living here..too many people..specifically Mexicans. lol

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I don't know how serious of a rider you are. I mainly road bike for a duathlon or triathlon. My bike is a road bike and not a tri-bike which sucks but I don't have $2,000-8000 for a good tri-bike. Even when I don't ride in a race I usually run on the treadmill at my gym and then ride my bicycle or run on foot and then bicycle.
]
I'm not serious yet obviously, but I intend to make it a new hobby, so eventually I will be. Whats the difference between a road bike and a tri bike?

BTW what do you think of those aero bars on the bike on the left? Stupid, or worth it?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Yeah that's why I asked. U like it better than socal? Gettin sick of living here..too many people..specifically Mexicans. lol
Replace the Latinos with just as many Asians, increase the cost of living, increase the amount of arts and culture, increase the average IQ and income, and improve the weather and the air quality, and that's what you get up here.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
BTW what do you think of those aero bars on the bike on the left? Stupid, or worth it?
Triathlon Bike...

Road Bike...

You only want the aero bars on the triathlon bikes. The aero position is ungodly uncomfortable and the seating position on a road bike makes it harder to use compared to a triathlon bike. A lot of people said that their is a benefit if you get serious in tri/duathlons and are between the point of converting from a road bike to a triathlon bike. What the full on technical differences are I have no clue. But apparently there is besides everything being made out of CF.

Triathlon bikes cannot handle turns well. They are designed for distance. A road bike can handle turns better and their wheels are built stronger to handle turns. Try and take a tri-bike around a mountain turn full speed and I've heard of rims becoming tacos.

Now a lot of local bike shops will let you demo ride their bikes. Also when you get one make sure the bike shop sits you on the bike and adjusts everything to you. seating position is very important on a road bike. And if you didn't before make sure you have some riding tights with padding in them.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Replace the Latinos with just as many Asians, increase the cost of living, increase the amount of arts and culture, increase the average IQ and income, and improve the weather and the air quality, and that's what you get up here.

Sounds like you got the short end of the stick. More Asians. LOL

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Homeslice
Elitist

So the only difference I see is that the triathalon bike is CF, has fucked-up looking wheels, a higher seat, and probably cost 5K. But plenty of road bikes are CF too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
You only want the aero bars on the triathlon bikes.
How come that road bike on your left has them?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
So the only difference I see is that the triathalon bike is CF, has fucked-up looking wheels, a higher seat, and probably cost 5K. But plenty of road bikes are CF too

The body position and fit are different. For a triathlon you don't want to use up the same muscles - instead support those that you will use in the swim and run.

Go get fitted. Any reputable shop will fit you for a bicycle - and it's use. If you plan on REALLY getting into it - it's really easy to hurt yourself if you don't do it right.

Clips are a must have. That goes with the right attire - what works for some doesn't work for others. Even though I'm now on road bikes I can't stand roadie shoes, I still use my SIDI mountain bike shoes.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #20
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:

A lot of people put them on just because. Same reasoning behind someone putting a stabalizer on a early 90s 600. Technically it can help but there isn't really a point like there would be on an 08 1000.

Now in the mountains with the long declines where you can run out of gearing I've seen roadies use them for a short tuck.

I found this on google search...

But azoom has it pretty much dead on.

(azoom mind if I let my bike fornicate with your bikes so I can have a decent bike)