Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

We just converted our office into the bicycle room - 10 in there hanging off the walls right now
Holy crap, why do you need so many bicycles? Motorcycles i can understand...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Holy crap, why do you need so many bicycles? Motorcycles i can understand...
because they can

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
because they can
good point

Like my dad use to say, why do you have so many shoes? you only have 2 feet.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I am now in Alaska (thread to come with pics later) and looking for a bike. I don't need a 8,000 downhill riding bike but I would like something above the 100 dollar beater at Walmart.

I was hoping to scan craigslist and find a good deal but at the same time I would like to get one in the next day or two before I start working my two jobs.

Called this guy and the bike works fine except for the front sprocket derailer isn't working. Worth it?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/1152874349.html

Trying to find something in Wasilla since I will be heading down there today anyways.
Tell the guy $150 and buy it. Bicycle repairs are pretty cheap usually and you can get that entire assembly for a couple hundred max. In fact if there is a bike shop around you they may have it used for cheap do to an upgrade. A specialized USED to be an exceptional bike but now they are made in China like everything else and have suffered some quality issues on the lower end bikes like these. Even with that said, you will be happy that you spent the extra cash instead of going to Walmart. When you go to look at it just make sure the derailleur isn't totally jacked up. If it isn't you may be able to free it up with some time and some really good lube. Heck, the cable may just be jammed up or ill adjusted.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
btw: You are like the 1 billionth person that has told me to say hi to Palin while in Alaska.
Tag Palin and her daughters and video and then post in Dark Alley. I think a nipple exception for that vid could be excepted.

My buddy has that exact specialized except it has mechanical disc brakes. Nothing wrong with V-brakes, infact they can stop a freight train (so be careful), but they'll squeel like hell if wet or get enough dirt between the pads.

Azoom. Nice SS!

I love bicycling. Infact it has kind of taken over my motorcycling a good bit but that's cause I'm trying to loose a decent bit of weight.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Well I picked it up after offering the guy 180 and he said 200 was the lowest he would take. I checked it out and took it home. Pretty paint is beat up but mechanically the bike is fine. Also has some mud flaps and ice tires installed but the guy threw in two new street tires which was cool.

I still feel I did ok compared to a wally world bike and I think the derailer may just be jammed up but nothing difficult.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #17
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I love bicycling. Infact it has kind of taken over my motorcycling a good bit but that's cause I'm trying to loose a decent bit of weight.
I would really like to get my Gixxer sent up here but for now I wanted a bike to get around so I could avoid firing up the diesel for a 3 mile drive. I am also trying to slim down a bit which is a bonus.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Evadd
formerly known as tdah

Moto: 06 R1, 01 600R

nice grab.

hard to tell from the pics - if those are plastic pedals, get some metal ones or you might be finding yourself walking home from a good ride when a plastic one cracks. in any case, clipless go a long way in making it easier on you.

why's the seat so low?
Evadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

The seat is pretty low. For your seat height you want to sit on the seat and have it so that when your pedal is all the way down that your leg is almost extended. Don't lock your knee out.

The pedals are the factory pedals. They work okay but some nice platforms work great too.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #20
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
nice grab.

hard to tell from the pics - if those are plastic pedals, get some metal ones or you might be finding yourself walking home from a good ride when a plastic one cracks. in any case, clipless go a long way in making it easier on you.

why's the seat so low?
definitely go with either clipless or a decent set of cages so you get power out of the up-stroke as well as the down-stroke when you're pedaling...

just don't come cryin' when muscles you didn't know you even had start complaining about it

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote