Official Thread Killer

Track it...

http://www.idemc.org/index.php?area=
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I'm so confused by all of this. It's the flu. There's a flu outbreak every year - flu shots, flu panic - why is this one different? mexico just admited that it wasn't 150 dead from swine flu, it's 7. Why is the whole world in an uproar over the flu. I just don't understand. in the US it's 91 cases of "swine flu" and 1 death. That doesn't sound out of line with years past - infants and old people are more suseptible but there is a vaccination for those highest at risk? Am I missing something? Not trying to debate it or anything but as someone who's never had a flu shot or the flu or known anyone who's HAD the flu of any kind....wtf am I missing about this??

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I'm with you Laura, I just don't get it either. Seems quite ridiculous to me also. I chalked it up to a slow news day when it all started but now it's all everyone is talking about.

more people die in car accidents daily than will from this flu....move on.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
I'm so confused by all of this. It's the flu. There's a flu outbreak every year - flu shots, flu panic - why is this one different? mexico just admited that it wasn't 150 dead from swine flu, it's 7. Why is the whole world in an uproar over the flu. I just don't understand. in the US it's 91 cases of "swine flu" and 1 death. That doesn't sound out of line with years past - infants and old people are more suseptible but there is a vaccination for those highest at risk? Am I missing something? Not trying to debate it or anything but as someone who's never had a flu shot or the flu or known anyone who's HAD the flu of any kind....wtf am I missing about this??
No vaccination.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
It's a new strain.. the news claims it's supposedly a hybrid of sorts between human, swine, and avian influenza.

Like Kirsty said.. it's not just the really young, the really old, or the immune-suppressed who are dying, but healthy, normal people too. Not to mention it's something that can hop species (which, really, is only scary when you're talking AIDS or ebola, but you know..).

All that said... the news is blowing things out of proportion a bit because they like the sensationalism. Yes, it's important to be aware of new strains, good hygiene is important, but this is true for ANYTHING...

It's not something to freak out about, but still something to be aware of and a good reminder to STAY HOME if you're sick. Too many people (myself included..) try to tough it out because of the stigma of taking sick days.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
No vaccination.
Right. Vaccines can be made, but they take time and testing to make sure they're safe. Regular flu vaccines will not make you immune to every strain of regular flu other than the one you were vaccinated against.. much less a different class of flu altogether.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
It's a new strain.. the news claims it's supposedly a hybrid of sorts between human, swine, and avian influenza.

Like Kirsty said.. it's not just the really young, the really old, or the immune-suppressed who are dying, but healthy, normal people too. Not to mention it's something that can hop species (which, really, is only scary when you're talking AIDS or ebola, but you know..).

All that said... the news is blowing things out of proportion a bit because they like the sensationalism. Yes, it's important to be aware of new strains, good hygiene is important, but this is true for ANYTHING...

It's not something to freak out about, but still something to be aware of and a good reminder to STAY HOME if you're sick. Too many people (myself included..) try to tough it out because of the stigma of taking sick days.
Most importantly: Don't go to the friggin ER because you talked on the phone to someone in Mexico! Leave Kirsty alone!
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
lauralynne

Quote:
Right. Vaccines can be made, but they take time and testing to make sure they're safe. Regular flu vaccines will not make you immune to every strain of regular flu other than the one you were vaccinated against.. much less a different class of flu altogether.
in the press release in WA the concern was "only 18,000 doses" of the vaccination.
and I've never bought into the whole flu vaccination thing in the first place. I guess that's where I'm missing the point. Anyone I've talked to who's gotten vaccinated in the past not only got the flu still but was MORE ill than those who didn't get vaccinated. Why not get the flu, hang out with a box of tissues, a couple of movies, sleep it off and move on?
I'm obviously still missing something here

Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
lauralynne

Quote:

but the "flu" kills people every year - and nearest I can tell, only one confirmed death from this one so far...and no mention of age or health of the person. Granted, if it were my friend or family that died from it, I'd be in a panic too....but given the seemingly over-hyped media attention, I'm skeptical

Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
lauralynne

from the CDC:
CDC Recommendation
CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with swine influenza viruses.

•Oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu ®) is approved to both treat and prevent influenza A and B virus infection in people one year of age and older.
•Zanamivir (brand name Relenza ®) is approved to treat influenza A and B virus infection in people 7 years and older and to prevent influenza A and B virus infection in people 5 years and older.