Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I had two cards and one of them had a yearly fee, so I dropped it and just increased my CC-LoC by 5K. Two weeks later that card, now the only one that I have, was exploited and deactivated. My daily parking for work is paid for by CC, so I was screwed. Didn't get the replacement card for more than a week.

There actually are reasons for having more than one.
Sure there are... but a lot of people with a couple have them b/c they live off credit. I've rarely been troubled when something has happened with my credit cards. I lost my wallet outta my jacket once on the bike. The most annoying thing was not being able to access my bank account with my debit card. Debit card was in the wallet. I needed a license to get a new debit card. I needed money to get a license. Vicious circle. My bank knows me and gave me a new debit card with no ID But anyway....

My emergency card is my one credit/loc. I don't "need" it to get money in case of anything. But I'm not everyone.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I don't have any credit cards anymore. I pay cash for everything.

Oh wait...I have a corporate card but that doesn't count.

I am on a plan to pay off all existing debt while still being able to "live" so to speak. I cancelled all of my cards except one that I don't even carry with me. If I needed to I could go and get it but I've yet to find a reason to need it. Cash is king with me.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I've got two, one isnt used, and put away, the other doesnt have much in the way of charges on it. I used it for the golf clubs and club membership I just bought.

But I cant imagine not having one now that I do, just because I can do things like book hotels/flights/shop online/etc. Some things you can afford to pay cash, but its much more convenient to do it online with a CC.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I've got two, one isnt used, and put away, the other doesnt have much in the way of charges on it. I used it for the golf clubs and club membership I just bought.

But I cant imagine not having one now that I do, just because I can do things like book hotels/flights/shop online/etc. Some things you can afford to pay cash, but its much more convenient to do it online with a CC.
And some things you either can't do with cash anymore, or are made very inconvenient to use cash. Parking machines in Toronto will take Loonies (that's a Susan B or Sacagawea to you Americans) or a credit card, but not debit. Carrying around ten $1.00 coins every day is a pain in the ass. You can't rent a car or reserve a hotel room without a credit card.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I have two as well. One has zero balance the other has a small balance on it. They just raised my limits.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

yup. Cant book a trip without a CC. and I wouldnt want to travel without one just in case anyway.

I admit that I use it for things I cant afford. I didnt have the cash to buy clubs or the membership, so I put it on my CC. But I can pay it off quickly, so its not something im stressed out about. And i've never gone over 2200$ with it (right now).

Quote:
And some things you either can't do with cash anymore, or are made very inconvenient to use cash. Parking machines in Toronto will take Loonies (that's a Susan B or Sacagawea to you Americans) or a credit card, but not debit. Carrying around ten $1.00 coins every day is a pain in the ass. You can't rent a car or reserve a hotel room without a credit card.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Oh so true about the trips, hotels, etc. I'm considering getting myself a secured card just for this reason.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Yep they're trying to avoid a credit card crisis like they have with the mortgage crisis.

People are running up their balances and not paying it back...they are trying to reduce exposure and risk.

It just sucks when you've always paid on time and have never gone over the limit and then get slapped with this.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I am not sure I would care as much if my husband had a job right now and/or if I hadn't just been in an accident.

I just like to have the security of knowing that if I had a 30K emergency that I would be okay without draining savings and 401Ks
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I am not sure I would care as much if my husband had a job right now and/or if I hadn't just been in an accident.

I just like to have the security of knowing that if I had a 30K emergency that I would be okay without draining savings and 401Ks
That makes a lot of sense and many people feel just that way and are shocked/pizzed/ and even scared when this happens to them when they feel they haven't done anything to deserve this treatment from their bank.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote