Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Oh ok. I figured you took EVERYTHING off.
It's not a stripped down mountain bike. It is an off-the-shelf single speed. Single speed mountain bikes have purpose built frames that typically can't be used with a geared setup. It's more like a mountain bike sized BMX bike.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
jtemple
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Don't people use those more for on-road workouts, not singletrack? I used to ride a bike with no suspension on singletrack in Colorado, and it sucked bigtime over any kind of bump. Not to mention there were some climbs that even experienced riders on fully-geared bikes couldn't do, so there's no way a single-speed bike would do it either.

I could see using it on fire roads and jeep trails maybe......but not singletrack.
It would be a terrible on-road workout. The gearing is so low that you can't go very fast, and the resistance at the pedals is pretty minimal, except when climbing a fairly steep hill. There's a single-speed cult following. Some people ride them everywhere, including technical singletrack. Mine has never seen dirt. I used it to commute to work/class on while I was in college. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than my other bike, so if it got stolen, it wouldn't sting as badly. I plan on hitting some dirt with it this year.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Nice looking bike. I would need gears. When I rode in the city I would drop gears to get up hills and go up gears to try to pass cars on the hills. Single gear would have drove me nuts.

I used to ride 30-45 minutes to get a piece. On your bike I think that would have ended up being close to two hours with that low gear if not 2.5. It was some good stuff but I think I would have looked for a piece closer to home if I owned that. LOL.

I have been wanting another mountian bike over the last couple of years. I used to have a lot of fun trail riding. Down hill really put a smile on my face.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Single speed mountain bike... Hope you own a heating pad. You're gonna need it for your leg muscles for the first few weeks if you haven't ridden in a while

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
jtemple
Geek

I'm in riding shape still. I do a lot of spinning.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
jtemple
Geek

Here's the Rocky Mountain. I finished it up last night. New cables, chain lubed, new tubes, rebuilt road wheels (the spoked ones in the background), new road slicks, new grips. This one is a standard bike, with gears and whatnot, and cost more than 4x as much as the single speed. I built this one myself.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Here's the Rocky Mountain. I finished it up last night. New cables, chain lubed, new tubes, rebuilt road wheels (the spoked ones in the background), new road slicks, new grips. This one is a standard bike, with gears and whatnot, and cost more than 4x as much as the single speed. I built this one myself.

How do you like the Rocky Mountain frame?

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
jtemple
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
How do you like the Rocky Mountain frame?

James
Love it! It's been all over the world with me. I first built it in 1998.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Love it! It's been all over the world with me. I first built it in 1998.
Sweet. I have been thinking about building a bike and have thought about using a frame from them. But when I add up all the parts I want the price tag gets up there. I will get on at some point.

James
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
jtemple
Geek

Rocky Mountains are spendy, but very well made. My frame was $1200. That was 11 years ago.