Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Im not sure self-control can be learned this late in life.

Sure it can. It can be learned at any point in life. The example Tigger pointed out is perfect. If you're an impulse buyer, force yourself to not buy anything without a certain amount of time passing. And more importantly, during that time, weigh things out. Can I afford this? Do I need this? What are the advantages/disadvantages to owning this? What are the reasons I should or should not own this?

Similar scenarios can be applied to almost every situation in life. It is a matter of discipline and self-control. Neither of which may be easy, both of which, however, can be accomplished.

In the last two years I've learned something which has been beneficial to me which is to make a list of values (honesty, integrity, treating people how I wish to be treated, communication, living a life of which I can be proud, being healthy, doing things that serve only good/healthy purposes in my life, financial stability, etc) and then I (at least attempt to) filter my choices through those values. Not that I didn't have those values before, but I didn't always or often take the time to ensure that my choices reflected those values.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80 View Post
I am just going to say I highly doubt this would hlep. lol
Yeah, but it's a start.

Baby steps man, baby steps.

JC
Old 03-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80 View Post
ok I tend to be far to impetuous so how do I get past it? how do I train myself to think if I am being that way or not?
Lose just about everything.

Seriously.

It's the way some people need to find out what is really important. Nothing like being grateful for your next meal and a roof over your head, or mebbe just being grateful for your health to put things in perspective.......
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Lose just about everything.

Seriously.

It's the way some people need to find out what is really important. Nothing like being grateful for your next meal and a roof over your head, or mebbe just being grateful for your health to put things in perspective.......

Truth! BUT....I have had the opposite problem. When I was young,we were seriously poor. My Dad's gf and her friend would raid Salvation Army drop boxes to get us clothes,no bs. She would save prizes out of cereal all Dec and wrap them up as gifts. Etc. So when I got older and made some money of my own,I bought EVERYTHING in sight! I refused to wear anything 2nd hand! It's a lot like a dog gobbling up all the food that is present because he doesn't know where his next meal is coming from. Or kinda like how we hood rats go out and buy expensive,big name clothes (Coogi,Hilfigure,etc) when we can't hardly afford to keep the lights on.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
Sure it can. It can be learned at any point in life. The example Tigger pointed out is perfect. If you're an impulse buyer, force yourself to not buy anything without a certain amount of time passing. And more importantly, during that time, weigh things out. Can I afford this? Do I need this? What are the advantages/disadvantages to owning this? What are the reasons I should or should not own this?

Similar scenarios can be applied to almost every situation in life. It is a matter of discipline and self-control. Neither of which may be easy, both of which, however, can be accomplished.

In the last two years I've learned something which has been beneficial to me which is to make a list of values (honesty, integrity, treating people how I wish to be treated, communication, living a life of which I can be proud, being healthy, doing things that serve only good/healthy purposes in my life, financial stability, etc) and then I (at least attempt to) filter my choices through those values. Not that I didn't have those values before, but I didn't always or often take the time to ensure that my choices reflected those values.
Maybe, but studies have shown that children with self-control issues tend to stay on that track as they get older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow_Test
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Yeah, but it's a start.

Baby steps man, baby steps.

JC
Sure you wake Lazarus up, but this guy just wants some self control and you tell him to take baby steps. Lame!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #17
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Maybe, but studies have shown that children with self-control issues tend to stay on that track as they get older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow_Test
But that doesn't mean they have to. I understand that there are those who are inherently more impulsive so the task may be more difficult for them, but that doesn't make it impossible.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I'm the same way. BUT the only decisions I regret making are for the most part the ones I took my time and thought about.

impulsive buying or what not, as long as you're not killing your financial situation with it enjoy it. If you seriously regret making those purchases then either start buying things you can return or start remindnig yourself how poorly you felt last time you did it and take a little time to make the decision to buy.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

The best teacher in the world is pain, Pain tells you you did something wrong. But while it's very effective (to most people), it can be unpleasant.

If this behavior causes pain afterwords, remember that pain, and use it to temper your impetuousness. If there's no inner pain, it'll be up to self-control, delays like what tigger suggested will work for some, but there's not a lot of limits to what people can rationalize. Look inward, find what caused you to start this thread.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sure you wake Lazarus up, but this guy just wants some self control and you tell him to take baby steps. Lame!
Confucious say:

''Man who want to build wall, first must learn to make bricks.''

Then again, he also said, '' You can get an decent eggroll at a Jewish bakery.'' So what the fuck do I know.

JC