Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

bigjoe. That sounds about right. I remember the tranny thing. I want to say he replaced 2nd and put a new star or whatever it is called that allows for smoother shifting.

I like how he set up the heat controls on his heat grips too.

I'd hate to see it if he got a Goldwing. We'd probably never see him again. Except when he decides to take a break at Madagascar and check up.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

00000 Sell it for a brand new 04 with zero miles on it...lol

Shits crazy!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
No shit! How many steering head bearings have you had to replace?
Believe it or not, still on the original steering head bearings.... never been touched. Though I do need to change them out here pretty soon.... I can hear a lil bit of noise over bumps sometimes. But she still rides straight as an arrow and handles perfectly fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKIMON View Post
I asked this in the other thread but was ignored. I don't feel the love.
Which thread?? I don't remember being asked, but then again I may have overlooked it (many times I'm half asleep while browsing, lol). If I would have seen it I would have responded.... I must have overlooked it somehow, not intentional

Anyways.... to answer a few questions. As far as tires and brakes go.... ahhhh I have no idea anymore, lol.

Tires
I think I lost count at a dozen or so rear tires, and that was several years ago. It's hard to say cuz often times I run track take offs, so they're already worn down somewhat, and don't last quite as long as if I put a new tire on (but they're soooooo much cheaper!). If I put new tires on, I usually get around 8k or so out of a rear, and probably 15-20k out of a front. Longest I've had any tires last was 11,300 on a new Pilot Power rear, and 26,000 out of a Metzeler M3 (I think) front.

Brakes
I really don't go through brakes that much.... I'm not hard on the brakes + alot of highway riding + downshifting, so they last quite awhile. Only time I'm ever on the brakes hard is sometimes during a spirited run through the mountains. I used to be pretty bad about using the rear brake too much, and I'd always wear out the rear pads before the front. I think I replaced the fronts for the first time at around 25k or so. I "think" I'm on probably my 5th or 6th set of front pads, and probably a couple more rear. I've found that the OEM and EBC brake pads always warped my front rotors, then switched to Galfers and have never had a problem with warping since... still smooth as glass.

Oil
I broke the bike in using the standard Honda dino oil. Changed it at 600, 1500, 2500, and 5000 miles during break in. At 5000 miles I switched to Mobil 1 15w-50 auto oil, and have been using that since (although now I use the 10w-40, as that wasn't available back when I first switched). I used the OEM filters for the longest time, but now have been using the K&N oil filters and have been happy with them. Oil is changed like clockwork every 5000 miles. I've never once had to add a drop of oil to it..... I check it along the way and then always check it right before I change the oil, and it's always at the exact same spot that it was when I put it in. When I drain it out it's a nice golden brown color, not black at all, and you can see through it with a light as it drains out. Inside of the motor is still spotless!

As far as other stuff goes.... well I've had to replace the CCT a few times. Replaced it first at 32k miles. The new one didn't last very long (about 10k miles or so), so then I modified it with a longer bolt and locknut, which kept it quiet until 100k. Then replaced it with an APE manual tensioner... never a problem since. Then had a clutch cable break at 65k, and upon closer inspection I found the little bracket that holds it to the clutch cover was ever so slightly bent, just enough that it made the cable come out of the end of it's insulation at a slight angle instead of centered, and caused it to chafe on the edges. I bent the little bracket straight and have never had a problem since. Then the original battery died at 80k, replaced with another Yuasa. Then the regulator/rectifier died while on a 3hr trip up to Orlando at 100,600 miles (it just made it! LOL), replaced it with an aftermarket R/R and it's still working just fine. Also put in the APE manual tensioner at the same time.

Then the trans issue.... it started jumping out of 3rd gear at 114k. At first it was only after you let off the gas and got back on it, it would shift itself back to 2nd (not fun in the middle of a sharp curve!!). But it got worse and worse, and eventually got really hard to get into 3rd at all. I finally tore it down at 117k, found some worn gear dogs and a messed up shift fork. Replaced 2nd, 3rd, and 6th gears along with the shift forks, and she shifts smooth as glass.

Then I had a minor wiring issue with the 2 connectors on the regulator/rectifier at 129k.... poor connection caused it to overcharge and get the battery very hot. I replaced the connectors and put lots of dielectric grease in them and they've been fine since. The battery lasted a little while longer after being overheated, but then had to replace it again at 138k. That was the last thing I've had to do. I did notice recently that my left fork seal has sprung a small leak, so I've gotta do fork seals here soon (they're original). I needed to change the fork oil again anyways, so no biggie

Oh yea chains and sprockets.... original chain was replaced at 14k (it seemed to wear and stretch out really fast). I got sucked into the whole 520 conversion crap, which only makes you eat chains and sprockets faster than ever. I used those for awhile, and was only getting 10-15k out of a chain and sprockets. Finally went back to the 525 and steel rear sprocket, and spent a little extra $$ and got the high end chain, and it's been freakin awesome!! Also stopped using commercially available chain lubes, and just use regular old 90w gear oil, and it works fantastic! This chain I've got on now has lasted forever, and it still like new both in appearance and function... no kinks

Other than that, it's just valve adjustments (as mentioned above, it didn't need any of the valves 'adjusted' until 100k.... they had always been in spec prior), spark plugs ever 16k or so, flush coolant/brake fluid/fork oil once a year minimum.... sometimes more often especially on the brake fluid. Then brakes, tires, and chain/sprockets when needed... that's about it!

Here's an odometer shot I just took tonight. As mentioned, it's only a 5 digit odometer, so it doesn't show the "1"

Also as mentioned above, the video from when it turned 100k. This was on Aug 16, 2007. I bought the bike brand new with 3 miles on 10-17-04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwiOyq2Q9-I

And here's the pic thread from that

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47404

Then here's some pics from the transmission repair. Start at the beginning and read through the whole thread.... I made it as I went and posted progress pics along the way. Shows how squeaky clean the motor is on the inside

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59988

Here's a few....

I think that's about it! Kinda sounds like alot, but it really isn't that much.... I just elaborate with alot of details. Would you believe it's still on the original factory clutch?? And original stator too! Still starts right up immediatly, every time, and runs as good as it did when brand new.

I love this bike!! Most definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it, lol

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

That's freaking awesome!
Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I'll certainly say you've gotten your money's worth outta that bike by this point for CERTAIN. what surprised me is the fork seals being original and only NOW starting to leak.

top notch job taking care of your bike though.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

Awesome man, simply awesome! Have you told this to any of the Honda Reps or your local dealer?? I'd bet that they would offer you a mint for that ride given the mileage (not that I would sell it if it were mine). You and that old girl have been through a lot together in a very short time, and it would appear that she has treated you very well.

Are you an aggressive rider? How would you say that you usually ride? I'm just figuring from the mileage and what you have replaced in the past, along with that 100k video that you aren't that hard on your ride and you don't burn it up every trip out.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
dubbs
Multistrada

Gotta love those Honda's man.. last forever..

What about your car?? almost 400k miles?? Thats nuts!
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #18
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

impressive

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Most impressive!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #20
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

You ever ride it real hard, like taking it to redline a lot or anything? Or is most of your riding highway and semi-spirited every once in a while? I don't think I'd ever see that many miles on my bikes.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote