Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I belonged to the Bally's in Lynnwood, when I lived in Washington You probably know the one, on the south side of 196th. That place blows goats.
I'm in Everett - I'll have to take a run down to the one you're talking about and see if it still sucks

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

We go to the YMCA. My wife gets free family membership there as a perk from her job. We use our membership multiple times a day. For the price, you can't beat it. There's tons of stuff to do!
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
AquaPython
put it THIS way

LA fitness ftw. about a 1 dolla / day.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
avoid 24 hour fitness....rip OFF!! at least around here

we joined Bally's - and I love it there. No pool but I'm on a master's swim team so I have access to a pool.

Find a gym close to you. Or at least convinient. Otherwise, likely, you won't go. Pay whatever they ask. it's a matter of how much you use it. Pay $40/month and use it once or pay $60/month and use it 20 times - which is a better value?
If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with 24 Hour Fitness? There's one within walking distance of me, which is incredibly convenient, and They've got a special going on that makes it pretty affordable compared to the other ones around here. Was it a monetary rip off or something else?

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with 24 Hour Fitness? There's one within walking distance of me, which is incredibly convenient, and They've got a special going on that makes it pretty affordable compared to the other ones around here. Was it a monetary rip off or something else?
Around here, they're super expensive - we were paying $104 a month for 3 of us. (compared to $73 for Bally's). And they pissed me off - when i joined last Feb, they were all excited about moving - they were building a new club and ensured me that my membership would transfer directly (I even had a membership that dind't limit clubs - any 24 hour fitness). Well, they built the new building and 1 month before it was time to switch over clubs they announced that they "FOUND" extra square footage in the new place and it now qualified as some "super" club and we had to pay more. $25 more a month PER PERSON. WTF???? I bitched. the new club had more machines but that was never an issue for me - what they didn't have anymore was a running track which is one of the huge features for me at the old club. So I bitched and bitched - less of what I wanted for almost double the price??? The offered to lower the difference to $15 per person per month. Now my dues were going to be $149/month for 3 people - DOUBLE what most other clubs were charging.

It was the principle. I asked them to tear up my contract (they'd conviniently printed out a new one for me to sign) and I walked out. I gave my notice ONE DAY too late (the day they announced the price increase) and they still billed me for the following 2 months because not enough notice was given.

I'll never step foot in one again. Ever.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Bally's in FL is disgusting. They stink, machines are always broken, weights scattered all over the place, half the lights burned out. All that for only $45/mo. for 3 years!

LA Fitness is one of the best options in FL, but I love my new gym in NC. No pool, no courts, just a sprawling weight room, tons of hammer strength, weight machines, and cardio machines. All for freakin' $8/month.

My better half joined a fitness club up here called O2. More like a 5-star resort than a club, but it had the classes she wanted. And it's NOT $8/month.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Texmex1
More Cow Bell!!!

Moto: CBR600RR,Ruckus, GL1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
avoid 24 hour fitness....rip OFF!! at least around here

we joined Bally's - and I love it there. No pool but I'm on a master's swim team so I have access to a pool.

Find a gym close to you. Or at least convinient. Otherwise, likely, you won't go. Pay whatever they ask. it's a matter of how much you use it. Pay $40/month and use it once or pay $60/month and use it 20 times - which is a better value?
Its just the opposite here, Ballys is the joke and 24 hr is ok...
Texmex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I use the YMCA. It's brand new and it's fucking HUGE. The free weight area could be a little bigger but it's good enough. Tons of cardio equipment, 2 full size indoor basket ball couts, climbing wall, indoor skate board park, Batting cage, indoor and out door track, indoor Olympic swimming pool, another big area for Nautilus, Free Motion, and Stride equipment, and a huge hot tub.

It's totally worth the money.

I've used Balley's in the past and they suck. Small, old equipment, and no amenities really.
Same here. We have a new Y in Grove City and its big. Great equiptment, nice indoor pool, courts. It really laid back too, for those of you who are self conscious or dont like alot of pressure. WTF, a batting cage and skate park tho? Ours just has the rock wall...

I've also been to Urban Active fitness in Hilliard... now that is HUGE. Multi levels, thousands of pieces of equiptment. More classes than the Y.

But I like the Y wayy more...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

My wife and I joined a gym near the house and like it alot. It's sort of small but has all that we need to get/stay in shape. It's open 24 hours so we can go anytime we fill like it. All of the equipment is brand new and it's not a meat market.

When I was single I liked the "meat market" gyms...but not now.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I met my husband at the gym!

Although not a member of a gym anymore I was for 15 years or so. I attended regularly and loved it. The idea that I had to pay made me want to get my money's worth!

I suggest asking the various gyms in your area to give you a 30 day pass. Try them all out and then decide which one you like.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote