Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
Capt that's fuck'n awesome...

honestly... that's about the size house I'm look'n for... no need for anything bigger as it's just me.

so now... we have a place to stay for Indy.... no more hotel right?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
That's badass man. Congrats on a new step in your life. I like the way ebbs thinks.

People from this site are always welcome at my place. Well, maybe not T-rock. j/k dude. But, keep in mind, this house is about an hour+ away from the track. If you all wanted to stay that far away, I honestly would be fine with everyone hanging at my place.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

in all honesty... I'd have no problem with it... but I doubt we'd really want 20+ people there... even if half of us camp on the back lawn... that's 10 people sleep'n in your place

who knows...

congrats though... lets see some pics of the inside!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Congrats on your purchase! I am sure you're daughter will be pleased!

Must be nice to buy that first house. I am looking forward to the feeling but am procrastinating on growing up for as long as possible.
Tax advantages are pretty substantial. Houses are "on sale" right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
As many of you know, I've posted my list of priorties before:

Buy home
Pay off debt (other than home)
Buy motorcycle.

Well, the first step is well on it's way. I close Thursday the 18th on my first home. Happy birthday and merry Christmas to me. It's a small home, about 1000 s.f. upstairs with about 750 s.f. unfinished basement. It has a one car attached garage with plenty of room for a bike.

There is a decent size back yard for my daughter to play in, although it's not fenced yet. There is also a small park two blocks away for her to play.

I have a few things I need to take care of before I actually move in, such as flooring, paint and wiring. Luckily, the wiring will be quite easy with a basement and such a small house. I'm replacing all of the outlets and wires as they only have 2-wire with no ground. There is hardwood underneath carpet, so I need to pull the carpet and refinish the hardwood, then pull up the nasty carpet in kitchen and bath and put down tile. Luckily, I know how to do all of this work so I'll save a sizable sum of money right there. My step-brothers are both electricians, so I can make sure the wiring is done to code.

Here are pics of front and back, I'll run a new thread with pics of before and after work is completed.
Looks great Capt, congrats

Don't forget to adjust your tax with holding now that you have deductions. Also a lot of your settlement costs are a tax deduction.

You may have to have the finished electrical work inspected after it's done.

As far as finishing your floors, see if you can get cloth backed abrasives. I work in a shop that has a sheetmetal deburrer called a "timesaver" that uses sandpaper belts that are 30" wide. I got used ones in 80, 120 and 180 grit. I cut them to size and used them when I refinished my floors in my previous house. The advantage of the cloth backed abrasives is that you don't have to worry about nails. You'll just see sparks where the nails were up. :thumbs:

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #14
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx CURVE xx View Post
your priorities are fucked up... bike ALWAYS comes first
I agree...Thats What I Did...

I went

Buy Bike
Buy House
Pay Off Debt

I Just Got a House To!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #15
byron12
cookie head

Moto: I now have cheap chinese pocket bike and a free non running kawasaki cruiser.

Awesome for you congrats. me and my wife bought a very similar house abut five months ago minus basement.
byron12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #16
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

I went

Buy bike
Keep renting apartment
Don't go broke having to buy furniture and pay for maintenance, more insurance, and property taxes

...I wish I had a house
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
I went

Buy bike
Keep renting apartment
Don't go broke having to buy furniture and pay for maintenance, more insurance, and property taxes

...I wish I had a house
and loose 90% of your investment when you move...

that's why I can't wait to buy... even if I sell for 20k less than I buy it for in 3 years... I will have come out better than if I rented
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #18
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

At least you were aware of all the house needs...Kudos and congrats!!

when my ex and I bought our first home (it was in his name, thank goodness), it was inspected by HUD, THDA, and Codes. We found out a few years later the roof was put on wrong (should have been rolled due to pitch and had shingles with no tar paper), the wiring was faulty, the sewer line had trees growing inside the pipes nad the plumbing was jacked. Got everything fixed piece by piece, but the wiring we didn't know about till much later (7 years). I found out when I went to unplug the strip my computer equipment was plugged into to move my desk and the outlet literally fell apart. The ground wires on all 21 outlets in the house had been disconnected. On top of that, the main kept tripping. Had his dad (an electrician) look at the box and it was a 100 amp lug load center, not a 200 amp breaker box. Luckily, we only had to spend about $400 in parts for that repair. I swear IF I ever buy another home, I will go through it with a fine-toothed comb myself, now that I know what to look for in addition to spending the cash to hire an independent inspector. If the sellers don't like it, I'll go find another house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I am in the same boat now too. Hoping to buy a house soon esp now with intrest rates commin gdown. I also want ot get a new bike, and was even kicking around a new car since theyre not selling.

I just dont want to add any outstanding credit untill we get a mortgage in fear of messing up our intrest rates.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
nasty carpet in kitchen and bath
Who the hell puts down carpet in their kitchen ? That's retarded
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote