Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Not worried at all. More bikers mean more statistics, but more bikers also mean a louder collective voice.
exactly... and god knows we could use a louder voice and more attention. the right kind of attention... but really... even if everyone on the road hates me and flips me off when they see me... I'm good with it... cause THEY SEE ME.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
WildKat
It was better in the 80's

Moto: 2000 Kat 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Not worried at all. More bikers mean more statistics, but more bikers also mean a louder collective voice.
Very good point; if a nice majority of them are actually going to get involved and help support issues that affect us out on the road then it could be a good thing from that perspective.

It's very true there's no substitute for experience and the only way to get it is to get out there and ride. the problem is the way that so many people drive their cars doing a hundred different things besides paying attention to the road can potentially carry that same mindset out on 2 wheels and that can be disastrous. If you cut somebody off in a car it's bad enough but do it on a bike and you can find yourself rear ended in a hot second. If the new riders take the time to do their homework, be mindful of what's around them and generally take riding seriously then I'm all for it. John Doe family man who wants to just save some money for gas while riding to work is not a bad thing by any means because he's more likely to be extra careful and watch out for himself. One of the groups of people that worries me is the punk kids and adults who have no respect for themselves or the road, go out and by a 600RR or Busa or even a new scooter and decide they have to be cool while not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to riding. That's where, potentially, the squid comes out and that's definitely not a good thing.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I dont really give a crap honestly, I dont pay them any mind. If they talk to me before they start riding, I will be happy to point them in the right direction, semi mentor or get them a good mentor, but you cant force people to not be stupid or squidly.

Really the only thing that irritates me with all the new riders (and also some old) is their sheer lack of consideration for both themselves and fellow riders and cagers. Just yesterday I was in the car with YBSlow, we were passed by an old dude on a cruiser who should know better, wearing flip flops, shorts and a tshirt. After passing us, he swerved in front of the truck in front of us, then slammed on the brakes, made a terrible right turn using the entire road for his sloppy riding and basically skidded into the parking lot he was aiming for.

He was a terribly inconsiderate asshole, almost caused pileups for all the cars around him, could have hit oncoming traffic on the side road and its jerks like THAT who give the rest of us a bad rap and worry me.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Rider
Moto GP Star

Who cares, more bikes on the road are better for me. More targets on the road and it lessens my chances of being struck by a cage.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'm not worried about the influx of new riders....I'm worried about the new riders who jump on their new scooter with nothing more than a shirt/shorts/and sandals on. No helmets or any safety gear what so ever.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

There are upsides and downsides to it...

First, not everyone is cut out for being on two wheels, even at the tame levels of riding the street demands. Some people just do not and will not have the skills to do it safely.

However, if there are more bikes on the road, one could hope that cager awareness of bikes would increase.

On the other hand, if there are more riders, there may be more riders doing wheelies and other stupid shit and furthering the stereotypes already in place.

I guess...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I was once a new rider...Hell we all were. I think its better to teach them the proper ways rather than shun them and make them feel like outcasts.

More Riders is good and Bad, If we get more new riders doing it the right way than I'm all for it...It's all the ones that just go out hop on a bike and think there Goddamn Rossi On the streets.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #18
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Bikes have exploded in Atlanta. I passed one company on the way to work and they had an covered parking section with 11 motorcycles (all cruisers except 1 EX500) and probably a total of 50cars (If even that) in the parking lot. Hell we have gotten to the point that people no longer wave to each other because you'd never be able to clutch and shift.

Scooters is what I have noticed the most. I even see Roman Holiday style Vespas out in the middle of the fucking redneck jacked up truck rebel flag toting country.

Then once you go to downtown Atlanta they are everywhere. Most don't wear gear though.

Now here is something amazing about that in my local town...
A local news channel has brought out more awareness about bikes. WSBTV (And their AM radio) has done amazing stuff about bikes and even in their traffic reports you'll hear them say "Watch out for the bikes. There are a lot of them out there". Plus our biggest radio personality "Neal Boortz" rides a motorcycle (BMW and a gear nazi which is good but hates sportbikes in the mountains) and I think that has had an influence on Atlanta.

But here is the report they did...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auALTtCnE_0

At my work the next day in which we have drivers driving F-450s and bigger pulling big bulldozers we had oure weekly safety meetings. One of the sub contractors spoke up about this report and told everyone to watch out for bikes. And mentioned a lot of riders out there aren't experienced and even if it's your fault or their fault there is no competition between a bike and a big truck hauling a bull dozer.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #19
WildKat
It was better in the 80's

Moto: 2000 Kat 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
There are upsides and downsides to it...

First, not everyone is cut out for being on two wheels, even at the tame levels of riding the street demands. Some people just do not and will not have the skills to do it safely.

However, if there are more bikes on the road, one could hope that cager awareness of bikes would increase.

On the other hand, if there are more riders, there may be more riders doing wheelies and other stupid shit and furthering the stereotypes already in place.

I guess...
damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess :dunno:

the amount of scooters has exploded so much you almost can't even find them in dealerships because they are gone almost as soon as they come in. atleast with anything over 50cc you need to get a motorcycle license so that atleast helps steer them in the right direction to study and learn their craft somewhat I suppose...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Bikes have exploded in Atlanta. I passed one company on the way to work and they had an covered parking section with 11 motorcycles (all cruisers except 1 EX500) and probably a total of 50cars (If even that) in the parking lot. Hell we have gotten to the point that people no longer wave to each other because you'd never be able to clutch and shift.

Scooters is what I have noticed the most. I even see Roman Holiday style Vespas out in the middle of the fucking redneck jacked up truck rebel flag toting country.

Then once you go to downtown Atlanta they are everywhere. Most don't wear gear though.

Now here is something amazing about that in my local town...
A local news channel has brought out more awareness about bikes. WSBTV (And their AM radio) has done amazing stuff about bikes and even in their traffic reports you'll hear them say "Watch out for the bikes. There are a lot of them out there". Plus our biggest radio personality "Neal Boortz" rides a motorcycle (BMW and a gear nazi which is good but hates sportbikes in the mountains) and I think that has had an influence on Atlanta.

But here is the report they did...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auALTtCnE_0

At my work the next day in which we have drivers driving F-450s and bigger pulling big bulldozers we had oure weekly safety meetings. One of the sub contractors spoke up about this report and told everyone to watch out for bikes. And mentioned a lot of riders out there aren't experienced and even if it's your fault or their fault there is no competition between a bike and a big truck hauling a bull dozer.

After my last trip to ATL, I can only say some of ya'll up there are INSANE!! I was speeding, going quickly to avoid being run over and was passed as if I werent moving more than once by fellow SB riders. I admire their abillity to navigate the traffic, but they were riding like it was the Isle of Mann or something with no regard for cagers, and I can only assume they help to further some stereotypes...perhaps they are new and dont know better, but my only thought as they passed me wearing lil or no gear was "RIP"!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote