Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I couldn't take the stupid so I didn't watch the whole thing. What's really sad is how some shows are even worse. At least she had someone on who disagrees with her. My personal impression is that plenty of the shows on cable news would just find someone who agrees with the host and have the two sit there and discuss the certain impending disaster in serious tones for 10 minutes.

At some point in the discussion they will get around to politics. If the politics of the commentators agree with the current administration they will talk about how well they are handling the problem under impossible circumstances. If they disagree the commentators will talk about how horribly mismanaged the crisis has been. This is why I try to avoid cable news.
The problem is, as with many similar shows, it looks like she ONLY had him on to disagree with him and cut him off during his explanation. Oddly enough it's a tactic frequently used by Fox talking heads, but I presume this was on CNN...?

.... while on Fox they'll talk about how politics dictates that the dangerous levels of radiation MUST be reaching the US.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The problem is, as with many similar shows, it looks like she ONLY had him on to disagree with him and cut him off during his explanation. Oddly enough it's a tactic frequently used by Fox talking heads, but I presume this was on CNN...?

.... while on Fox they'll talk about how politics dictates that the dangerous levels of radiation MUST be reaching the US.
It was on a CNN owned channel called Headline News. During the day they basically loop the same 30 minutes over and over. In the evening they have commentators.

When it comes to political discussions what you describe is pretty typical, and not only with FoxNews. There will be a host and 3 guests, 2 of whom agree with the host. The 3 who agree will then gang up on the outsider. For sciencey type discussions though, from the little I have seen the strategy I've described seems to be more common.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
It was on a CNN owned channel called Headline News. During the day they basically loop the same 30 minutes over and over. In the evening they have commentators.

When it comes to political discussions what you describe is pretty typical, and not only with FoxNews. There will be a host and 3 guests, 2 of whom agree with the host. The 3 who agree will then gang up on the outsider. For sciencey type discussions though, from the little I have seen the strategy I've described seems to be more common.
I think that the sort of thing I'm describing is far more common, on Fox. How many times have you seen Hannity or O'Reilly have someone on, who barely gets a sentence out before the host starts yelling at them about how wrong they are?

I don't tend to see that on CNN or the other networks. There may be a panel that's somewhat lopsided, but the odd-guest-out can generally get a word in edgewise.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I think people should turn the TV off. Find something else to create background noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I think that the sort of thing I'm describing is far more common, on Fox. How many times have you seen Hannity or O'Reilly have someone on, who barely gets a sentence out before the host starts yelling at them about how wrong they are?

I don't tend to see that on CNN or the other networks. There may be a panel that's somewhat lopsided, but the odd-guest-out can generally get a word in edgewise.
I don't watch FoxNews so I don't really know. When I am over at my parents they have on MSNBC, the left leaning equivalent to FN. They do what you are describing in political arguments sometimes, but more often than not it ends up being a panel ganging up on Pat Buchanan. I do occasionally watch regular CNN which seems to be the best of them and they tend to have more reasoned discussions.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I think people should turn the TV off. Find something else to create background noise.
The sweet sound of a V-Twin motorcycle tunes stuff out nicely...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I don't watch FoxNews so I don't really know. When I am over at my parents they have on MSNBC, the left leaning equivalent to FN. They do what you are describing in political arguments sometimes, but more often than not it ends up being a panel ganging up on Pat Buchanan. I do occasionally watch regular CNN which seems to be the best of them and they tend to have more reasoned discussions.
I don't watch MSNBC either, because they take legitimate issues and turn them into a 3-ring circus. They're no better than Fox News. I like to at least know what the newest garbage neo-con talking point is, so I occasionally tune into Fox.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
shmike
Follower

Quote:
It does look like that. And based on his initial reaction ("Oh boy, here we go Nancy"), it sounds like this wasn't the first time.

Why would these legitimate professionals & agencies continue to allow shit like this to happen?

I guess everyone just wants to be on TV.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
It does look like that. And based on his initial reaction ("Oh boy, here we go Nancy"), it sounds like this wasn't the first time.

Why would these legitimate professionals & agencies continue to allow shit like this to happen?

I guess everyone just wants to be on TV.
Because there are no legitimate professional journalists left? Hell, I've even stopped watching several of Toronto's most popular news broadcasts, because they're as likely to try and CREATE the news as they are to report on it, these days.

We even have a "Fox North" starting up soon, championed by our local tabloid piece of shit newspaper and birdcage liner The Toronto Sun (famous for the Page 3 Girl). Sun Media is starting up an all news station, that will have a decidedly conservative lean.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
The public will believe her claptrap.

As an example of how mis-informed sheeple are: I pissed some old guy in a gas station off the other day when I corrected him about the whole thing in Japan. He was telling the whole store that half of Japan would be "vaporized when that reactor blows"

I calmly explained that he's confusing a nuclear weapon with a nuclear power plant and the chances of it "blowing" are about as high as his chances of having a period.

His response: "I was in WWII and I know that 'Nuclear' means boom!"

I just shook my head and got my coffee and left.
Wow. I see all the years of anti nuke fear mongering have paid off well
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote