Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i shoot an old bear compound that took forever to get set up properly. not because it was a bad bow but because i was determined to do it on my own.
when my girl wanted in i found a nice small archery shop. they measured her, showed her how to shoot, gave her range time and really got her off on the right foot.
had them do a little set up on mine and it was perfect.

her's is a Hoyt, buddy of mine always shoots Matthews, either of those brands is highly regarded.
most important thing though is practice and repetition. get a good sight that you like and understand. peep sight in the string, oh and a forearm guard. you will snap your arm and it will hurt.
i do not shoot with a release but i know a lot of people do. if you can control your form and fingers it isn't necesary. i have easily outshot people who had releases and i've been out shot by others with release.
find a league to shoot in. that was the single best thing i did to improve my shooting.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

I have been into bow hunting for about 5 yrs also got my wife into back yard shooting this past yr. said its too early and cold to get out of bed to hunt.

Same with guns shoot as many bows as you can. Get a feel for them, see what you like and what you don't like.

figure out your draw length, what poundage you wanna shoot most bows these are simple adjustments, some require a bow press, different cams, modules, ect..

Pick out your bow either a package bow or a bare bow and add what you want.

You can spend money fast on adding toys for your bow.

peep
kisser
stabilizer
rest
sight
string dampeners
string suppressor (made my own)
wrist sling (make and sell my own)
releases
quiver
arrows (refletch my own)
lighted nocks (make my own)

Then you get your targets which I shoot a bag and 3d deer targets. Made my own broad head target for practice.

yeah sounds like alot but its very fun, and really enjoyable to be in the backyard shooting, even better to be in a tree stand.

If you have any questions or need any help drop me a PM,
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote